Rate the last book you read

JDSmith

Reaction score
I rarely ever read books anymore, but I listen to books driving to and from work, so I typically finish a new book each week unless I've got some interesting podcasts - lately all of the draft stuff has kept me occupied but I just 'read' a book called The Farm by Tom Rob Smith. It pretty much sucked, I'd give it a 3 or 4 out of 10.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I am working on a script for a documentary movie about a man who was in the Buffalo Soldiers. His name is Charles Young and it is a shame he is not more celebrated in this country. IMO. I hope to change that a little bit.

David Kilroy wrote an amazing book about him which I am one chapter from finishing. It's called "For Race and Country." I am also looking at another book about him called "Black Cadet in a White Bastion" by Brian Shellum.

Amazing man whom I have long wanted to write about.

That sounds really interesting. I'm going to see if I can grab a copy of 'For Race and Country.'

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
There has been an interest in starting a thread like this for a while but we still haven't started one yet so i'm starting one.

We can begin with the most recent book we've read and what we thought about it and then see where the thread goes.

Ok, I don't know if 'rate' is the right term here but its a start and we can always change it to something more appropriate.

After years of reading 'required' reading materials, i've been free to read fiction/novels in the last 6 months or so. It seems like i'm trying to make up for lost times because i've read about a dozen books in the last months or so.

The most recent one i finished reading is "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton.

Its an intriguing book. A very unusual novel with footnotes and citations and I might add, very selective in what the author chose to back up his opinion. Some think that the references take away from the suspense of the book, bogging it down with 'facts' that support the authors opinion. To me, it was actually somewhat refreshing that Crichton actually supplies the sources of his argument. Although, he misinterprets some of his sources or at times ignores parts of the arguments in those sources.

It is a very one-sided take on the issue and piles on the environmentalist activists. Ironically he seems to do exactly what he accuses the environmentalist zealots doing.

Overall, although i don't agree with his take 100%, i enjoyed reading it and there are lots of wisdom to take from it, things to consider and look into further.

You want to talk about a cerebral book with footnotes and citations- I offer you House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski.
Now that is one monstrously tripped out, yet fascinating read.

Phoenix

Reaction score
The Doomsday Key by James Rollins was excellent. Rollins is always a really fun read for me. Love his work.

On a very side note: RIP to an excellent author, Tanith Lee.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
12 Mighty Orphans -- Jim Dent

True story of the Ft. Worth Masonic Home football team, their grit and triumphs against long odds and much bigger schools.

9/10 -- great pre-season read.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been on a true crime tear lately...

"Deliver Us: Three Decades of Murder and Redemption in the Infamous I-45/Texas Killing Fields" by Kathryn Casey. A very good book. She outlines the cases very well breaking them down by decade. It seems there were at least 3 different killers or sets of killers that contributed to all the deaths. Unfortunately only a couple of the killers has been brought to justice. In the first set of cases during the 70's, there are many who believe they know who the killer is but do not have the evidence to convict him. http://www.houstonchronicle.com/lif...ackles-the-story-of-Texas-killing-6034054.php

"Darker than Night: The True Story of a Brutal Double Homicide and an 18-Year Long Quest for Justice" by Tom Henderson. The story of two 27 year-old hunters who disappeared in northern rural Michigan in 1985. Book was a great read. The first time I heard of the case on one of these true crime shows about a decade ago it sent chills up my spine. http://www.amazon.com/Darker-than-Night-Homicide-18-Year/dp/0312936761

"Die for Me: The Terrifying True Story of the Charles Ng & Leonard Lake Torture Murders" by Don Lassetter. As I was reading the book it struck me how easy it was back in the 80's (and really before) for serial killers to go about killing those that they had prior connection with. Like the "Darker than Night" store, this was another that took nearly two decades to find someone guilty of committing the murders. http://www.amazon.com/Die-Me-Terrifying-Charles-Leonard/dp/0786011076

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Between the true crime books I spied this one on a trek to a used book sale at a local library: http://www.amazon.com/Homers-Odysse...54&sr=1-1&keywords=homer+the+blind+wonder+cat

It's the true story of a blind cat by the name of Homer that gal adopted while living in Florida, who subsequently moved to NYC prior to 9-11.

Not usually the type of book I would normally read, but when I saw the cover of the book I was intrigued. Maybe it's because we have a black cat ourselves.

Anyway it was decent read. I enjoyed following some of Homer's exploits after the book was published in 2009.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The finished "Iceman" the story of Richard Kuklinski, who (according to him was a "hit-man" for the mob during the 70's and early 80's supposedly killing 100 people.

He was arrested in '86 and has another book floating around out there about his life in addition a movie was made. There are also several hours of him being interviewed in prison.

The book was decent, but I think the guy's story is mostly crap.

Yes, he did murder several of the guys in his "gang" but Kuklinski was a low-level street criminal. I don't buy that he killed a 100 people. I don't think he killed more than 1/2 a dozen.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'm on a Africa kick right now. Heart Of Darkness by Joseph Conrad is about a steam boat captain in the ivory trade on the Congo. Pretty disturbing book who's main character inspired Marlon Brando's character in Apocalypse Now. Blood River by Tim Butcher is another book about the Congo where an English journalist travels the Congo in 2004 from one side to the other both by land and river. Great adventure book/travelogue.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but I HIGHLY recommend the Red Rising trilogy. The last book will be out February 11th. Universal paid 7 figures for the movie rights already.

I finished the first two books and immediately started reading them again. Can't wait for the last book!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Just finished The Cartel by Don Winslow.
Excellent read. Gripping and gruesome but also almost romantic at times (perhaps better phrased as romantic nostalgia).
Defines and describes the drug pipelines and corporate/government involvement.
The weird Mexican dependency on the US as both an aid and it's biggest downfall.

Not for the feint of heart and someone will have a serious challenge making this into a view-able work.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Just about finished with "The moon is a harsh mistress" by Robert Heinlein.

A Dystopian city on the moon, AI supercomputer, and revolution--what's not to like?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
The River Of Doubt by Candice Millard. It chronicles Teddy Roosevelt's first descent of one of the Amazon's major tributaries where he and most of his party nearly died from class V rapids, natives, disease, drowning, and murder. Fantastic.

The Revenant by Michael Punke. Everybody has seen the movie, but the book is much better and tells the true story of frontiersman Hugh Glass, not the Hollywood version.

The Winds Of Skilak by Bonnie Rose Ward. About a young couple from Ohio who decide to live off the grid (before it was cool to live off the grid) on Skilak Lake in the Kenai NWR in Alaska.

Just started Neon Rain. It's my first James Lee Burke book so we'll see.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Just finished The Cartel by Don Winslow.
Excellent read. Gripping and gruesome but also almost romantic at times (perhaps better phrased as romantic nostalgia).
Defines and describes the drug pipelines and corporate/government involvement.
The weird Mexican dependency on the US as both an aid and it's biggest downfall.

Not for the feint of heart and someone will have a serious challenge making this into a view-able work.

I love Don Winslow. Savages is one of my favorite books he's written. If you like the cartel books you might read El Narco by Ioan Grillo, Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden, and El Sicario by Molly Molloy. All 3 are great books. I just finished my cartel kick a few moths back so they're still fresh on my mind.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I love Don Winslow. Savages is one of my favorite books he's written. If you like the cartel books you might read El Narco by Ioan Grillo, Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden, and El Sicario by Molly Molloy. All 3 are great books. I just finished my cartel kick a few moths back so they're still fresh on my mind.

thanks, grabbing el sicario now.

yea, seeing savages was what led me to winslow. insane stuff but done with artistic flair.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The River Of Doubt by Candice Millard. It chronicles Teddy Roosevelt's first descent of one of the Amazon's major tributaries where he and most of his party nearly died from class V rapids, natives, disease, drowning, and murder. Fantastic.

The Revenant by Michael Punke. Everybody has seen the movie, but the book is much better and tells the true story of frontiersman Hugh Glass, not the Hollywood version.

The Winds Of Skilak by Bonnie Rose Ward. About a young couple from Ohio who decide to live off the grid (before it was cool to live off the grid) on Skilak Lake in the Kenai NWR in Alaska.

Just started Neon Rain. It's my first James Lee Burke book so we'll see.

I've read every james lee burke novel... yes a lot of them, lol.
You kinda grow with the character. Crazy thing is he starts out rather middle-aged though immature as can be so it is odd but pleasurable all the same.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Inherent Vice

Great novel. I'm still amazed by the writer Pynchon is. I'm not surprised so many people disliked the film, Pynchon has a unique way of telling his stories.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Emmett Till" by Devery Anderson.

This is a new title on the topic.

Long book, with a great deal of time spent on the before & after of the event. Lot's of story on Emmett Till's mother and how he handled the event and not only persevered but grew.

The trial portion was a difficult read from me, just because job of the prosecution was nearly impossible due to the era and the mindset of the populous. If the results of the OJ trial caused you distress, the results of this trial would cause 10X the amount of anguish... if nothing more than the reason so many had taken part in the kidnapping and murder, it was a conspiracy– and not one person was ever convicted for any part of it. Even if you removed the context of the era and place where the crime took place, you knew it was going to be a tough row to hoe when a sheriff from one of the jurisdictions involved said he didn't think the body was that of Emmett Till. Amazing.

If you want to know everything there is to know about the Emmett Till case, then this is the book for you.

The author treats the topic pretty impartially, with him focusing on the facts and leaving the rants to the folks that read the book.