Rate the last book you read

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4996677 said:
I have not read that. Is the title a reference to Asimov's three laws of robotics, perchance?
No, it has it's own laws. LOL

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;4996680 said:
Savages by Don Winslow - I really loved this book. I watched the movie a couple of week later and it completely sucked.

The Kings of Cool by Don Winslow - The prequel to Savages. Also fantastic, I think I may have even liked it a little better.

Wool Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey - A post apocalyptic story about a community living underground. Really cool book and unpredictable.

The Hunger Games - I usually don't read off the best seller list but my wife insisted I read them. I loved all 3 books.

The Land That Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs - I really like Burroughs and Jules Verne type books. I'm about 1/2 way through this one and so far it's really cool.

I've had 'Savages' on my Kindle for a while. I've been hesitant to read it do to the horrible reviews the movie got, but maybe I'll check it out now.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4996699 said:
I've had 'Savages' on my Kindle for a while. I've been hesitant to read it do to the horrible reviews the movie got, but maybe I'll check it out now.

If you like sex, drugs, and violence you'll love it.

ethiostar

Reaction score
I have neglected this thread much too long. I have read many books since I last posted here. I don't remember all the books i've read this my last post but here are the books I can recall. Lots of crime novels.

I started the Elvis Cole detective series by Robers Crais.

-Monkey's Rain Coat
-Stalking An Angel
-Lullaby Town
-Free Fall
-Indigo Slam
-L.A. Requiem

There may have been others but i don't remember now. Entertaining novels about a PI and his sidekick (Pike). I like L.A. Requiem the best so far. Not bad overall and all the books I've read are decent reads. However, as contemporary detective novels go, I prefer Michael Connely's Bosch series and Harlan Coben's Bolitar novels better than Crais.

-The Drop (Michael Connelly)

One of the most recent novel in the Bosch series. Not bad, I enjoyed it.

-Blood Work (Michael Connelly)

Not a Bosch novel and an older book I had yet to read until now. It was made into a movie staring Clint Eastwood. Also a decent read.

-Back Spin (Harlan Coben)

One of the better Myron Bolitar novels.

-Killing Floor (Lee Child)

The first in a series of Reacher novels. Not bad but I'm not terribly impressed. Maybe the books get better as the series progresses.

-Out on the Cutting Edge (Lawrence Block)

One of the Matthew Scudder crime novels and the first one I have read. It's good enough to want me to read more in the series. In fact, I went out and bought a couple more.

-Thank You For Smoking (Christopher Buckley)

A story about a PR man for the tobacco industry. Very funny and entertaining book. Loved it. I have also read "The White House Mess" by Buckley and I don't think anyone else does political satire as well as he does.

-Gil's All Fright Diner (A. Lee Martinez)

About two friends, a vampire and a werewolf. A light, wacky and funny read. I liked it a lot and plan to read more books by this author.

-Bloodsucking Fiends (Christopher Moore)

I can only say, for the upteenth time that I love Moore. He is absolutely hilarious. Carl Hiaasen put it best, "Christopher Moore is a very sick man, in the very best sense of the world". Very funny and entertaining book.

I can't think of the other books I've read. I will post my reviews on them if/when I remember.

I just started reading Stephen King's The Stand, the complete and uncut version. Good grief!!!!! This is a long book (1153 pages). I expect to post my review on this book by 2015...lol.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
ethiostar;4996943 said:
I just started reading Stephen King's The Stand, the complete and uncut version. Good grief!!!!! This is a long book (1153 pages). I expect to post my review on this book by 2015...lol.

His best IMO.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
"The Killing Floor" - Lee Child

8/10. Loved it, just wish it was a tiny bit shorter. Some parts "Dragged" a bit for me (not terribly bad though).

I've also been trying to read "The Hobbit" for awhile now, talk about "Dragging". OMG..

ethiostar

Reaction score
Rack Bauer;4997024 said:
"The Killing Floor" - Lee Child

8/10. Loved it, just wish it was a tiny bit shorter. Some parts "Dragged" a bit for me (not terribly bad though).

I've also been trying to read "The Hobbit" for awhile now, talk about "Dragging". OMG..

I thought The Killing Floor was just Ok.

The Hobbit was one of the books I read but couldn't remember when I posted last night. I agree with you to an extent, I wasn't too terribly impressed with it. I expected much better based on reviews I read.

ethiostar

Reaction score
The Stand: Uncut-----------Stephen King

I can't believe it took me this long to read this book. I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was very well written, albeit verbose in places. I found the story to be a bit dualistic but that was intentional on King's part. Overall, it is a book I will probably read again in a few years, and that is saying a lot for me.

BTW, I haven't read the original (cut) version but the "uncut" version is 1152pp, which apparently is about 200-250 pages longer than the 'cut' version. According to King, the added pages include, among others, a much more detailed account of Trashcan-Man, whom I liked reading about (although I could have done without the character he encounters on the road, The Kid).

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
ethiostar;5006125 said:

I can't believe it took me this long to read this book. I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was very well written, albeit verbose in places. I found the story to be a bit dualistic but that was intentional on King's part. Overall, it is a book I will probably read again in a few years, and that is saying a lot for me.

BTW, I haven't read the original (cut) version but the "uncut" version is 1152pp, which apparently is about 200-250 pages longer than the 'cut' version. According to King, the added pages include, among others, a much more detailed account of Trashcan-Man, whom I liked reading about (although I could have done without the character he encounters on the road, The Kid).

The Stand is one of the books I can remember reading when I was a teenager that I couldn't put down. I loved it. It was probably the cut version so I may need to go back and read the uncut one now.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
For those who enjoyed 'The Stand'; I highly recommend 'Swan Song' by Robert McCammon. It is an extremal good read.

Phoenix

Reaction score
ethiostar;5006125 said:

never knew about an uncut version of this. But I read the book long ago and loved it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry
by Jon Ronson

An easy reading, non-fiction book. I found it to be informative and quite entertaining.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
The Host by Stephenie Meyer - Hated it! My wife raved about it and it was on the best seller list for a while. It drug on and on, and was no different than any other body snatcher book I've read in the past.

I started Argo by Antonio Mendez last night and have Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden on deck.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Ringworld—Larry Niven: #44 on NPR list

Interesting characters make for an enjoyable read. Limited attention to spacious themes spawned numerous sequels.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Name of the Wind (part of The Kingkiller Chronicles) Patrick Rothfuss #18 on NPR list.

Engrossing story from an author with a pleasant prose. The sequel, ‘Wise Man’s Fear’, picks up the story where the original left off. A third is due out soon.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Denim Chicken;5006269 said:
For those who enjoyed 'The Stand'; I highly recommend 'Swan Song' by Robert McCammon. It is an extremal good read.

Have not visited this thread in a long time.

Have to agree with you...If you like one, you might like the other.

I actually like SOME aspects of swan song better. Really like the idea of the mask and what happens when the masks are removed. Won't say anymore as it might spoil it for some.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Denim Chicken;5029981 said:
Name of the Wind (part of The Kingkiller Chronicles) Patrick Rothfuss #18 on NPR list.

Engrossing story from an author with a pleasant prose. The sequel, ‘Wise Man’s Fear’, picks up the story where the original left off. A third is due out soon.

I've been waiting on the 3rd book to be released before I start this series. I've heard good things about it.

ethiostar

Reaction score
I have been trying to finish reading all the Elvis Cole detective novels (Robert Crais) I had sitting on my shelf so I haven't read much else.

Since I last posted here I have read the following
-The Last Detective
-The Watchman
-Chasing Darkness
-The First Rule

Interestingly, even though these books are still referred to as Elvis Cole novels, the later novels are increasingly focused on his partner, Joe Pike, who is a very interesting character. Out of the four I've listed above, I liked The Watchman best and it decidedly features Pike as the main character and Cole has a secondary role. Pike is also the main guy in The first Rule but not as good as The Watchman. The other two are decent reads but nothing special.

The only other book I've read is The Book of the Dead by Douglas Peterson and Lincoln Child. It is one of the Pendergast novels but this series has gone down hill after the first three. I wasn't very impressed with this book and I will not read another from this series.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Denim Chicken;5029981 said:

Finished 'Wise Man’s Fear, it's good, but will leave you hanging. Not sure when the conclusion is supposed to be released.