Rate the last movie you saw

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finally got to watch "A Quiet Place 2" (2020)

Part of it was filmed right here in western New York.

Simply put a terrific horror film.

Monsters from outer space certainly isn't a new idea.

Just goes to show you, it's not the idea, but how the idea is implemented.

7.5/10

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A Cure for Wellness - Interesting movie. Some of it is predictable but still interesting even if it is just the setting as the scenery and sets were beautiful in a weird way in some cases.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am half ashamed to even type this. There is an acclaimed movie that I have avoided for over twenty years. I never had an interest in it even though I had no clue what it was about aside from a good cast. The title alone didn’t interest me but the wife watched it today and I sat there like…..fine, I’ll surf the net. Well, not 15 minutes in and I couldn’t look away, was hooked!

The Green Mile

Fantastic flick and I can’t believe it took me this long to see it :facepalm:
That was taken from a Stephen King creation and it was spellbinding to me.

One of the best cast films I’ve seen and it stayed with me well after watching it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finally got to watch "A Quiet Place 2" (2020)

Part of it was filmed right here in western New York.

Simply put a terrific horror film.

Monsters from outer space certainly isn't a new idea.

Just goes to show you, it's not the idea, but how the idea is implemented.

7.5/10
Very well acted by everyone in it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Lost City - Basically Romancing the stone but with more of comedy premise.
Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe and Brad Pitt.
Not to bad for an action comedy but nothing special.
Currently on Paramount+ app.

Thanks. I didn’t expect it to show up there so quickly. It was still playing at my cinema as of Saturday.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Doctor Strange 2 - I was pretty excited for this one, but also pretty disappointed. There are some pretty visuals, and some fan service moments, but I think you really have to turn your brain off .

Then, there's Wanda/Scarlet Witch. I think they completely botched how this transitions off of Wandavision. So much so, that I think I would recommend those who haven't seen it to just skip it, or at least see the movie first. It's not that what happens with her doesn't make sense (as far as comic book movies go), it's just executed terribly. It's lazy. At the end of Wandavision she has started to come to grips with the loss of vision (but obviously still grieving) and her make believe kids. The kids are still an extremely weak part of WV for me, and it is magnified times 100 in DS2. They were entirely fictional characters made up in her head. She can recreate them and live with them out there in that cabin in the middle of nowhere if she is so hung up on them. It's not like they were real and taken from her. Her "loss" is just kind of stupid to me.

Moving on from the kids, Wanda is still trying to come to grips with everything and releasing the town, realizing that she can't do that to people for her own issues. Then we get a brief post credits scene that everyone wants to use a crutch to excuse the poor storytelling, as if it sufficiently expresses what's happening. Basically, using an alphatbet scale where A is being of sound mind, being emotionally mature, and properly dealing with trauma, and Z is just off the deep end psycho, Wanda starts WV at around a G, and at the end is back to a B or C and headed in the A direction. Then we jump to DS2, and she's at a Y. And all we get is, big bad evil book turn sad Wanda big bad evil. That's it. That's the entirety of Wanda's arc in this movie, a pretty constant Y, maybe close to Z. Then at the end, she goes through the same thing we saw at the end of WV. She sees the error of her ways, and starts reversing course. Been there, done that.

Now, I don't mind, at all, that Wanda went bad, or full blown bad. I fully expected there to be some conflict/struggle with Wanda and her possibly going down a bad path (whether that be the main timeline Wanda, or one from another universe). I just hate that it was handled so poorly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doctor Strange 2 - I was pretty excited for this one, but also pretty disappointed. There are some pretty visuals, and some fan service moments, but I think you really have to turn your brain off .

Then, there's Wanda/Scarlet Witch. I think they completely botched how this transitions off of Wandavision. So much so, that I think I would recommend those who haven't seen it to just skip it, or at least see the movie first. It's not that what happens with her doesn't make sense (as far as comic book movies go), it's just executed terribly. It's lazy. At the end of Wandavision she has started to come to grips with the loss of vision (but obviously still grieving) and her make believe kids. The kids are still an extremely weak part of WV for me, and it is magnified times 100 in DS2. They were entirely fictional characters made up in her head. She can recreate them and live with them out there in that cabin in the middle of nowhere if she is so hung up on them. It's not like they were real and taken from her. Her "loss" is just kind of stupid to me.

Moving on from the kids, Wanda is still trying to come to grips with everything and releasing the town, realizing that she can't do that to people for her own issues. Then we get a brief post credits scene that everyone wants to use a crutch to excuse the poor storytelling, as if it sufficiently expresses what's happening. Basically, using an alphatbet scale where A is being of sound mind, being emotionally mature, and properly dealing with trauma, and Z is just off the deep end psycho, Wanda starts WV at around a G, and at the end is back to a B or C and headed in the A direction. Then we jump to DS2, and she's at a Y. And all we get is, big bad evil book turn sad Wanda big bad evil. That's it. That's the entirety of Wanda's arc in this movie, a pretty constant Y, maybe close to Z. Then at the end, she goes through the same thing we saw at the end of WV. She sees the error of her ways, and starts reversing course. Been there, done that.

Now, I don't mind, at all, that Wanda went bad, or full blown bad. I fully expected there to be some conflict/struggle with Wanda and her possibly going down a bad path (whether that be the main timeline Wanda, or one from another universe). I just hate that it was handled so poorly.

That was one of several issues I had with Dr Strange 2.

First of all, I did take issue and object to them taking her ‘full villain’. They’ve now written off the character completely. No coming back from this.

Second, it now taints the WandaVision series as nothing more than her descent into evil madness. To watch it again just brings sadness now that we know how things will ultimately turn out.

Third, where the heck was the Vision? They couldn’t afford Paul Bethany for a day or two? Seriously? The incredible ‘love’ she had fur him and suddenly he’s a non-factor?

I can’t help but to think that Marvel is trying to do some salary shedding by sending these long-time characters out to pasture (or glaringly omitting them).

Creeper

Reaction score
"I Am Thinking of Ending Things" on Netflix. I know what the writers and directors were going for but to me this movie was just too nutty, too boring at times, too dragged out and some scenes were just too weird. It's like watching 2 hours of Tony Soprano dreaming about Big ***** as a talking fish. 10 minutes of a dream sequence is enough. A couple of hours of it is a turn off. The movie starts off kind of normal but as the movie drags on it gets weirder and weirder until near the end the characters break out into a ballet performance and some other crazy stuff. The scenes of the two main characters driving in a car in a snowstorm make you feel like you are in the car with an annoying aunt and uncle for the absolutely longest trip you can imagine. That happens twice in this movie.

I suppose some people think this would be "artsy". To me it was just awful. I prefer movies that entertain rather than annoy me.

Movie elites will mock me, but I give this movie a 2 out of 10.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen King has had a lot of good adaptations of his writings that would not be consider horror, and most have come from his short stories.

Valid point!

Most of his "big" book novels have not translated well into film.

The "truer" the attempt at mimicking the book by the director/screen play seems to get diminishing returns...

I thought both attempts at "It" were interesting and watchable but never left me thinking they captured the aura of the book.

"The Stand"? Watchable, but thought it was a cluster.

"Misery" was very good.

And the best adaption IMO was "The Shining" and we all know how much different the movie version was from the book. And King's attempt at redo that was a "mirror" of the book was a big bomb.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Valid point!

The "truer" the attempt at mimicking the book by the director/screen play seems to get diminishing returns...

I thought both attempts at "It" were interesting and watchable but never left me thinking they captured the aura of the book.

"Misery" was very good.

And the best adaption IMO was "The Shining" and we all know how much different the movie version was from the book. And King's attempt at redo that was a "mirror" of the book was a big bomb.
Both incarnations of The Stand lost the psychological aspect of the book. Reading the story, you felt an ever present sense of evil, which I didn't get from either miniseries.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Valid point!

"Misery" was very good.

I think "The Mist" is the best adaptation and Marcia Gay Harden was perfect casting. What makes it so unusual is the film maker took it one more step than King did and he thought they really had some big ones. I agree, takes some big ones to tell King "Stevie, baby, need to horror your book up some".

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Valid point!

"Misery" was very good.

I'd say some of the early ones translated pretty well. Christine, Pet Semetary and Salem's Lot are all pretty good.

I agree the Stand just never could capture the sense of impending doom you get from the book. But, every time I see it on TV I watch it. The old version, not that abomination they made recently. Laws yes!

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I think "The Mist" is the best adaptation and Marcia Gay Harden was perfect casting. What makes it so unusual is the film maker took it one more step than King did and he thought they really had some big ones. I agree, takes some big ones to tell King "Stevie, baby, need to horror your book up some".
That was well done. There was a Mist series that came out too but was cancelled after one season. I enjoyed it as well.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was well done. There was a Mist series that came out too but was cancelled after one season. I enjoyed it as well.
The horror was on so many different levels, they never let up.

I usually wait on series to see what they'll do before I watch them because they'll just dump it without much notice. I think they realize some others feel the same way because I have noticed they will announce a 2nd season before the 1st one has concluded to get more interest. Amazon did that with "The Boys".

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

True.

And even that was from a short-story and it was as you pointed out "modified" by the director/screen-write, which yeah, made it better!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a miniseries that were based on non-books, i.e. screen-plays done by Stephen King that I enjoyed:

"Rose Red"

"Storm of the Century"

"Storm" is downright evil.

"Rose" doesn't have a big following, but I enjoy the heck out of it as a ghost story.