Ratliff, Canty or Watkins

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
dmq said:
Not to get away from your original list, but I think Jason Hatcher should be added to this list. He is gonna be a beast for us.
I agree with this statement. I will go out on a limb and say, Hatcher will be the second best pass rusher on this team in a couple of years.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dmq said:
Not to get away from your original list, but I think Jason Hatcher should be added to this list. He is gonna be a beast for us.

I was about to say that, out of all our young guys on the team, Hatcher has the greatest potential IMO

well, 2nd to Ware

Manster68

Reaction score
Looks like I am a little late for the "Add Hatcher to that list" party as well.

All four of those young men have very promising careers here. I am concerned over Watkins tackling techniques though.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
chris canty is a monster for sure....

patrick looks like a solid player as well...his height and agility are keen.

he also appears to know his position which is keen as well.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
maybe canty and ratliff could have more potential or talent but watkins could be the best sheerly b/c 3-4 lineman shouldnt put up great #s.

BLT

Reaction score
wait what was with that you dont think spears and canty and hatcher will be here for long.. and that they will resign the cheaper of the 2 ... as a cowboys fan ive learned that when we have good young players they become cowboys for a very long time... the reason this hasnt happen lately is because we havent HAD good young players... weve had awful draft picks.. if there is a good player that we want.. we keep them.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
canty. he and spears will eventually be one of the most feared DE tandems in the NFL.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
As are as impact, that would be what you see. Rat and Canty are DL in a 3-4. Not a position that will stand out. Watkins is in a position where his impact can be measured easier.

Watkins is the answer.

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
The 2nd Day GEMS are piling up!

Since 2003 (last 3 drafts, rounds 4-7)

Offense

Patrick Crayton (7th) - Crayton has made some big catches for us! He's versatile, he blocks well, he plays hard. I'd like to see Crayton succeed in the NFL, hopefully with us.

Marion Barber (4th) - He'll be a solid pro, at worst. He's looking pretty good so far. No need to worry too much if JJ goes down (again).

Defense

Bradie James (4th) - He's a leader on one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Chris Canty (4th) - We all know he was a steal!

Jay Ratliff (7th) - Looks like he can play in this league.

Pat Watkins (5th) - He's a good fit for us. We dont need a big hitter at FS, we already got one at SS. We just need this girafe/gazelle, to go out there and defend some airspace. I think he'll get 'r done.

Jason Hatcher (3rd round, GEM) - Everything we've seen and heard about this guy, says he's gonna be a heck of a player. Yeah, he looks REALLY good so far.

How about the job Parcells has done on this defense!!!! :bow: Very impressive!! Look at the ages of the starters and their back-ups........ For the most part, this is a very young defense! I love it, I just hope they keep getting better, I think they will!

Now its time to find some more GEMS for the Offense (OL/QB/WR)!

Manster68

Reaction score
cowboyuptx said:
The 2nd Day GEMS are piling up!

Since 2003 (last 3 drafts, rounds 4-7)

Offense

Patrick Crayton (7th) - Crayton has made some big catches for us! He's versatile, he blocks well, he plays hard. I'd like to see Crayton succeed in the NFL, hopefully with us.

Marion Barber (4th) - He'll be a solid pro, at worst. He's looking pretty good so far. No need to worry too much if JJ goes down (again).

Defense

Bradie James (4th) - He's a leader on one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Chris Canty (4th) - We all know he was a steal!

Jay Ratliff (7th) - Looks like he can play in this league.

Pat Watkins (5th) - He's a good fit for us. We dont need a big hitter at FS, we already got one at SS. We just need this girafe/gazelle, to go out there and defend some airspace. I think he'll get 'r done.

Jason Hatcher (3rd round, GEM) - Everything we've seen and heard about this guy, says he's gonna be a heck of a player. Yeah, he looks REALLY good so far.

How about the job Parcells has done on this defense!!!! :bow: Very impressive!! Look at the ages of the starters and their back-ups........ For the most part, this is a very young defense! I love it, I just hope they keep getting better, I think they will!

Now its time to find some more GEMS for the Offense (OL/QB/WR)!

Actually, Hatcher is a first day pick, but he was taken so late in the 3rd, it is easily mistaken as a 2nd day pick. This guy could be very special.

Also do not forget Jacques Reeves and Nate Jones. Both were taken in the 7th round along with Crayton. With Newman, Henry, and A. Glenn ahead of them, it is difficult for them to see the field. Regardless, they are good enough for Parcells to keep them on the roster. Good enough to kick Bruce Thornton and Mario Edwards to the curb.

Keep this in mind also - as the talent level increases on this team, the greater the difficulty it will be for draftees to crack this roster.

Now, there were a couple of draft picks that didn't make it this season. The 1st round pick cannot even sniff the starting lineup.

That says something about the talent level of this football team.

And it will be more difficult for next years draftees to make the roster than this season. Especially when Jerry is locking up the best talent for many years.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Ratliff and Canty will be solid players who bring something different to the table, but neither will ever be all-pro material, imo....Watkins has the opportunity to become something very special.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
There is SOME truth to that, but I don't think we've really reached that pinacle yet. There is still a lot we can improve on the team.

we need a nose tackle for the future, then we'll be set on the dline for a long time.
We need maybe one more linebacker.
We need a replacement for Aaron Glenn, so we need to draft a corner high probably next year. Even if we resign him, we need to improve our depth at corner.
I think we're pretty much set at safety.

So on defense i think we have like 3-5 positions still available for the future.

On offense we have a lot of opportunities.

We're probably set at running back and tight end. But we really need to draft a stud young receiver or two. Not to mention that this offensive line still needs to be reboot. Luckiest thing we could have happen would be...

McQuistan - Proctor/Kosier - Johnson - Gurode - Colombo

That said we need to draft a guard and a tackle next year. With probably more emphasis on Guard depending on how McQuistan and Colombo develop this year.

So on offense I would say there are at least 6 or 7 rosters spots open.

I really hope we get a guaranteed fixture on the line through free agency though.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner said:
This is a very strange comment. Both Ratliff and Canty are only 2nd year players and have yet to even prove they would be worthy of being in demand in the "greener patures". Especially Ratliff who played very little last year and his a situational player this year.
My comment was based off of their current performance. You are right, they are only second year players and they are both proving they can make an impact now. These guys will just get better and sooner or later they will need new contracts. Now the problem. These guys are getting playing time now and other teams get to evaluate them. With so many teams either using or switching to a 3-4 defense someone is going to offer them more than the Cowboys can just for the fact that the Cowboys are so overloaded with great talent now that they have tied up or are tying up. (Newman, Williams, Witten, James, Ware, Ellis, Koiser, TO, Glenn, Ferguson, Ayodele) With the Cowboys having so much talent on the defensive line, one of these guys arn't going to get the contract they want and will be forced to go elsewhere.

All comments are based on "Barring Injury"

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc said:
My comment was based off of their current performance. You are right, they are only second year players and they are both proving they can make an impact now. These guys will just get better and sooner or later they will need new contracts. Now the problem. These guys are getting playing time now and other teams get to evaluate them. With so many teams either using or switching to a 3-4 defense someone is going to offer them more than the Cowboys can just for the fact that the Cowboys are so overloaded with great talent now that they have tied up or are tying up. (Newman, Williams, Witten, James, Ware, Ellis, Koiser, TO, Glenn, Ferguson, Ayodele) With the Cowboys having so much talent on the defensive line, one of these guys arn't going to get the contract they want and will be forced to go elsewhere.

All comments are based on "Barring Injury"

I agree that it will be very hard and virtually impossible to keep all players if we have a multitude of quality young players that will have to be resigned in a few years. My questions though deal with first, how do we even know that Ratliff and Canty will develop into high demand players (obviously an opinion at this point - especially with Ratliff who doesn't even play regularly), and more important, out of all the high demand players why is it that you singled out these two? Surely we will be able to keep many of those young players ........

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner said:
and more important, out of all the high demand players why is it that you singled out these two? Surely we will be able to keep many of those young players ........

Easy. The subject of the thread. "Ratliff, Canty or Watkins" I made a point about Watkins and then grouped Ratliff and Canty because they are defensive linemen.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc said:
Easy. The subject of the thread. "Ratliff, Canty or Watkins" I made a point about Watkins and then grouped Ratliff and Canty because they are defensive linemen.

Easy? Huh? That doesn't make sense at all.

This THREAD is limited to Ratliff, Canty and Watkins - but the Cowboys choices about who to pay and who to let go in free agency aren't limited to the same 3 guys.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner said:
Easy? Huh? That doesn't make sense at all.

This THREAD is limited to Ratliff, Canty and Watkins - but the Cowboys choices about who to pay and who to let go in free agency aren't limited to the same 3 guys.

Eh? You ask WHY I singled out Ratliff and Canty. I singled them out because they were part of the topic of discussion. The Cowboys have Ratliff, Canty, Spears, Ferguson, Hatcher, Coleman, and Parker on the defensive line. Of those players Ratliff, Canty, Spears, and Hatcher could easliy get offers from other teams. The topic was Canty and Ratliff so I applied the principal to those players.

What argument are you actually trying to make?