Ray Rice suspended two games

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Get caught on camera beating the piss out of your wife, get suspended for 2 games.

Get busted with weed, get suspended for a season.

Seems legit, NFL? Sucks to be Josh Gordon.

kapolani

Reaction score
I'd rather be called a druggie who smokes weed than a man that's a woman beater.

The NFL is a joke.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Get caught on camera beating the piss out of your wife, get suspended for 2 games.

Welcome to America. Why marijuana is so taboo I will never understand. Alcohol and prescription drugs are so much worse.

joseephuss

Reaction score

This is not Gordon's first offense. He was suspended for 2 games last season, which wasn't his first offense at that time, either.

This is Rice's first offense as far as we know. I do think he got off easy. He should have missed at least 4 or 5 games. More if his wife had actually pressed charges.

I don't think this impacts fantasy football too much. His numbers have been trending downward the last two seasons. Last year he produced less than 1000 yards from scrimmage. His best days are behind him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I had assumed this would 4 games at least.

Rogah

Reaction score
I think the NFL thought they couldn't get away with much more than that. The victim has stood by him every single step of the way (and actually married him since this incident). The charges were dismissed so he was certainly never found guilty.

IMHO they should have given him more and let the NFLPA look like *******s for fighting the suspension, but I think what they decided to do was just give him what they thought they could without any appeals.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

Not really that clear cut.

Gordon was suspected to be in stage 3 of the drug program before the latest failure, which if true would be 4 total tests he has now failed by testing positive for either marijuana or codeine.

The Browns website says he has at least 2 confirmed failures in the NFL and had 3 in college dating back to 2010.

Given he was supposedly at stage 3, he may have a total of 7 failures in the last 4 years.

Is Ray Rice's punishment light? Probably, but that has nothing to do with Gordon because Gordon was given his chances and blew them.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Not really that clear cut.

Gordon was suspected to be in stage 3 of the drug program before the latest failure, which if true would be 4 total tests he has now failed by testing positive for either marijuana or codeine.

The Browns website says he has at least 2 confirmed failures in the NFL and had 3 in college dating back to 2010.

Given he was supposedly at stage 3, he may have a total of 7 failures in the last 4 years.

Is Ray Rice's punishment light? Probably, but that has nothing to do with Gordon because Gordon was given his chances and blew them.

I think the point was that getting suspended for weed, regardless of how many times you get caught, should be a lesser suspension than somebody that punches their wife in the face and is caught on camera, clear as day, in doing so.

I agree with that sentiment.

And the league should be embarrassed.

YR

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I think the point was that getting suspended for weed, regardless of how many times you get caught, should be a lesser suspension than somebody that punches their wife in the face and is caught on camera, clear as day, in doing so.

YR

So what should Rice get? 17 games to be more than Gordon?

Or does Gordon get a 5th chance to stay clean and only serve 1 game?

Gordon built his way to a year and nothing short of a year for Rice would satisfy whatever sense of what's "right" people may have.

You can't drop Gordon's multi-offense punishment just because a more severe 1st time offender has come to the forefront.

Ray Rice got lucky and it has nothing to do with Gordon.

joseephuss

Reaction score

YR

The point missed is that the number of times someone gets caught for smoking weed does matter. The first time they get caught, they don't get suspended. The second time they get caught, they still don't get suspended. They get suspended after the third time they get caught and that usually results in 4 games. Of course Rice should have received a stiffer penalty, but it really has not relation to Gordon or any other players issues with weed.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Is there video showing clear as day Rice actually hitting his then girlfriend? I've seen that repeated a couple of times, but the only video I've ever seen was of him dragging her out of the elevator. I've haven't seen a video of him actually hitting her. I have no doubts he hit her and that fact has never been debated. It did happen, but I don't recall there being video of the incident. And if there is, I don't want to see it. I just wasn't aware it existed.

burmafrd

Reaction score
all that effort into pink ribbons and everything else just got flushed.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
So what should Rice get? 17 games to be more than Gordon?

Or does Gordon get a 5th chance to stay clean and only serve 1 game?

Gordon built his way to a year and nothing short of a year for Rice would satisfy whatever sense of what's "right" people may have.

The NFL is basically saying that Ray Rice would have to beat 8 different women to get the penalty that Gordon got. And would have to beat 2 different women to get the suspension that the Vikings head coach got over allegedly making gay slurs towards Chris Kluwe.

Rice should have been suspended for the entire season. This wasn't a case of 'he said, she said', it is cut-n-dry. And allowing him to play this year while suspending Gordon for smoking weed or Wade Wilson for taking growth hormone while he is a coach or suspending a ST coach for making gay slurs a longer period of time just doesn't jive with me.

YR

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Had Rice been a Cowboy, I'm absolutely, positively sure the suspension would have been 6+ games.:)

I don't know if the NFL took it into account or how much it mattered (or even if it should matter), but, according to rumor, his wife has a history of physical violence and was supposedly the one who instigated it and hit him first.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Had Rice been a Cowboy, I'm absolutely, positively sure the suspension would have been 6+ games.:)

I don't know if the NFL took it into account or how much it mattered (or even if it should matter), but, according to rumor, his wife has a history of physical violence and was supposedly the one who instigated it and hit him first.

He may not have even hit her; no one talked about any bruises that I have heard of; might have shoved her away and she fell and hit her head and that is why she was out. Not that far fetched; and possible. BUT Goodell looks really bad right now and the NFL as well; like I said all that pink effort just got flushed.