Realistic contract for Shultz

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
not impressed with any of the TEs that signed else where. again, if we had kept wilson, cooper or either, I would be OK. but no denying that Schultz was better than those other FAs...yes we want better blocking, but if he had that too, he would be in the 15M plus range. so thus the 11M range. if we had lost schultz, plus cooper and wilson, that would be more impact than just losing 50% of recieving output. as strategy to stop cowboys would be simple.

I am not making Schultz into this can't lose TE....no denying he is better than these other average cheaper TEs that signed elsewhere....but its the overall combination of everything that has happened and players we have lost.......give one of these other TEs a few million and then keep wilson...I would be OK...because Wilson can start in a pinch, has impact and was great depth and then any of these other average TEs and combination would be much better. keep cooper, plus wilson and any TE, the combination would be better....but washington and any of these other TEs is crap.
He an excellent receiver.
Perhaps he can improve his blocking ?
He has gained some weight this off season, so lets so how he looks.
I would wait and see how he blocks before offering a large multiple year contract.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It seems to me that Schultz gets more negative criticism than he deserves here, even though his blocking isn't too hot. He's really a valuable asset with his receiving skills, so I'm hoping he adds something to his blocking to enhance his value to the team. I don't doubt that he'll be attractive to many other teams that are needful of an impact receiver. If he can manage to improve his blocking skills, I think he'll get a good deal with us. He knows he needs to. That's an important factor in resolving the problem.

Robster8989

Reaction score
People here complain about Stephen's low-balling, then come on here low balling even worse.

Reality is Schutz is worth $12 to $14 million now, more if they wait next season.

Totally agree.
Many people live in the past as it relates to the salary cap.
The cap expands each year (generally), and has been held back by Covid the last 2 years.
Cap is due to increase as much as 40 mil next year, and reach 308 by 2026.
Those are the numbers agents look at.
So if Hunter Henry got about 6% of the cap in 2021, Schultz would get roughly 15 mil in 2023 just to stay even.
So we'd be lucky to get him for 4/50 today.
He will get more than that if he waits until next season (when the cap skyrockets).

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He an excellent receiver.
Perhaps he can improve his blocking ?
He has gained some weight this off season, so lets so how he looks.
I would wait and see how he blocks before offering a large multiple year contract.
that's the hope and he knows it too. if he is a better blocker with his above average recieving ability and RAC, he would be in very high demand. the thing about him is that he came in as a 4th rounder.went to work. improved each year. waited for his opportunity and maximized it. so he knows blocking needs improved and based on what I have read, he is working on it.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
that's the hope and he knows it too. if he is a better blocker with his above average recieving ability and RAC, he would be in very high demand. the thing about him is that he came in as a 4th rounder.went to work. improved each year. waited for his opportunity and maximized it. so he knows blocking needs improved and based on what I have read, he is working on it.
Improvement is the key my friend.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
lets be clear, our running game hurts not just because of Schultz, but because of OL. our LG and Center position are huge weakness. you build the OL, the rest will come, but you don't build through your TE.

and lets wait until we draft a TE, see how he is before dumping the one we have....
Admittedly it doesn't do that much good to seal the edge when the back is getting hit in the backfield due to internal anchor issues. And admittedly you don't build your running game around your TE first.

With that said while Schultz might be a good receiving TE, and I am not trying to deny that at all --- he is not well rounded enough to be a top 5 TE, IMO.

So yes, keep him at a $6-8M a year rate as a receiving TE. Some #3-#4 WR are going to get that amount and that is what he essentially is. But lets not make him into something he not which is a top 5 TE in the league when he hurts the running game, and doesn't explode as a top receiving threat either. He did great last year, but he wasn't defended by the other teams top pass defenders.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hes worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I'm sure Stephen will give him a10 year extension worth 20/year fully guaranteed and say hell be underpaid by year 3 of the deal.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I would do something around $11 a year, maybe a 5 year $60 with fake money on the backend. Don’t want to jinx Schultz but he never gets hurt. He probably at the end of most top 10 lists for tight end but he is always available.