Realistic Contract Values for Zeke vs Gurley

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the difference between your "fully guaranteed" and "worst case", and how is the latter lower than the former?
What is the difference between your "fully guaranteed" and "worst case", and how is the latter lower than the former?

By realistic I mean something that is about 90% or more likely to happen.

The point was to simplify it down to the basic contract without going into all the extensive details and all highly unlikely to happen possibilities.

It's not a realistic option to pay 19M per year on a 2 year, 38M worst case option unless something radical happened and he is just not worth the additional 12M total for 2 more years (i.e 2 for 38 vs 4 for 50). He would have to he really bad not to be worth 6M per year for those 2 years.

Therefore from a realistic perspective it should be treated as a 4 year, 50M deal that is fully guaranteed.

The worst case was to show that it's not literally "fully guaranteed" but from a practical perspective it should be treated as fully guaranteed.

They can keep him beyond the 4 years but there is no real upfront committment beyond the 4 years (assuming all of the publically available details of the contract are correct).

Them

Reaction score
Zeke will last far longer than that. What ppl are severely underestimating is how explosive this passing game is going to be, Dak will throw for 4,500yds this season.

...I'd have to agree...Zeke should still be the workhorse, but he also should have less carries in future seasons thus adding to his longevity...Pollard and company should adequately take up the slack!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wouldn't the worst case be a suspension for Zeke and a lot of his guaranteed salary wouldn't be paid? It seems like the low (relatively) signing bonus is insurance against that happening.
I meant worst case for the team financially (i.e. 19M per year for 2 years is not good but if he gains 100 pounds and they are forced to dump him then 38M is the minimum cost).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great job of passing on the true facts. What are your thoughts on the contract?
Assuming that Spotrac and ESPN have all the correct details, then 4 years, 50M is a good deal for the team.

If they want to keep him beyond the 4 years then it gets even better because with the cap and contracts increasing every year, it will seem like a bargain.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The realistic values of the contracts based on how the guaranteed money is structured:

Gurley
3 years, 40M, fully guaranteed.
13.3M average

Zeke
4 years, 50M, fully guaranteed.
12.5M average

Worst Case:
Gurley: 1 year, 22M
Zeke: 2 years, 38M
Yeah, guaranteed money is all that counts...………...rest is fluff to make it look much larger than it really is

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Zeke's deal is this:
Play this season on sane terms he had but get his base money in SB.
Get large option bonus next year as we would have anyway.
If no conduct or injury issues get another large option in year 3.
After that it is all about remaining at the top of the league to maintain very large paydays.

If he is the rare Emmitt type then he will earn A LOT of money in his career.
If he is not DAL will eat a good chunk of dead cap space once to move on.

Zeke has been handed 7.5M.... When talking about GTD money that is really what's truly GTD. Just ask Antonio Brown.
Money is real once it hits your bank account.