Reality with Daks contract

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't think so. Mainly because the NFL has a hard cap. If quarterbacks take up anywhere near 50% of the cap, they wouldn't even be able to compete against teams with lesser QBs. At some point it becomes self defeating.
Wait until you see what Burrow and Herbert get. We can then re visit this.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think people are thinking more on the line of team success. We had the number one offense and got no further than the Eagles.

If we have the same lack of success over the next two years, what do they do? Say thanks for the gaudy stats, here's a raise? I guess if Jerry blames himself for not properly building a team, they might. He did it with Romo.

Saddest part about Dak and Romo is that Jerry pretty much lucked into both of those guys. Romo wasn't even drafted and Dak was a 4th rounder, neither were thought of as possible long term starters, Pro Bowlers, etc.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dak will die off with his buds that have already departed or will do so in the near future.
No way Dak gets another roster to waste as not even the Jones boys are that stupid.
P.S. Then again it is the Jones boys so I won't be surprised if our misery with Dak-Friendly continues.....

The Jones boys have convinced themselves they're "close" for 15 years, first with Romo and now with Dak. They're not going to move on from a 30 year old QB in 2024 unless his play drops off significantly. They'll keep convincing themselves that they're not far away, and we'll keep getting what we've been getting.

Brax

Reaction score
I agree and why I think he’ll extend and resign him after 2023 season.

And these type of results is all Jethro needs to hype and promote the highest revenue franchise.
It may be sooner I don't see 49 mill cap space hit flying in Dallas, If Dak is restructured next year into the voidable years Dak is here to stay playoff and big chokes doesn't matter Dak is Jerry's QB because he drafted him and paid him. FO will keep dooming the Cowboys for years to come and more important that the players is the low end low IQ HC's the last 10 years.

Jarntt

Reaction score
This is Daks contract which is guaranteed thru 2023. There are some options to bow out in 2024.

Most likely we will resign him before this contract matures. I’d say after 2023.

And why he only wanted a 4 year deal as the NFL is due for a hefty increase in players share due to new collective bargaining agreement which will reflect all of the leagues new TV network deals raising the Cap significantly.

1TfGKYm.png

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/
At least post the whole thing. If we "get out" after 2023 we have still $40M in dead money to deal with. Dak isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but if he is it's not until at least a year later than that

Flamma

Reaction score
I do not see this team being too far off that picking in the mid teens to twenty to go blue chip for a high profile QB.

I agree with the rest of your post, which I believe to be the most likely outcome. It's this part that caught my attention.

There's really only two ways to draft a high profile QB. Suck so bad that you're picking high. Or trade a high profile player for a first, package this two along with one from the next year, and you can move up from the teens.

Let's see what the Eagles do next year. And they'll probably be picking in the low 20s.

Flamma

Reaction score
For some reason there are many Cowboys fans who don’t see the success Dak is having.

He’s winning divisions and propping up an otherwise bottom dwelling franchise into some relevance and interest.

That's what Jerry would say.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have a different idea of what "success" is I suppose.
That is the understatement of this forum.

There are ‘the ring is the thing” fans which are the most frustrated and then there are fans like me that as long as their competitive, I am OK.

MC, the difference is I have let the reality of who runs this team shape my expectations and left my Cowboys entitlement behind years ago.

I watch the games to see them play, not to win as I used to do. Some accuse me of lowering my expectations to meet the circumstance and I completely agree with that but I am not as frustrated a fan as they are.

I call it accepting what is and what is not likely to be. And so far, I am batting 1000%.

Flamma

Reaction score
Wait until you see what Burrow and Herbert get. We can then re visit this.

I know what you're saying. But it's still not going to be 50% of the cap. I think teams would be willing to absorb 25%, but once you start getting into the 30s and 40s, there's no longer a reason to pay the QB.

Otis313

Reaction score
I'm positive Jerry and Son just can't wait to give Prescott another zillion-dollar deal!!!!:banghead:
P.S. All you Dak lovers enjoy as unless a miracle happens Prescott will be a June 1st cut in 2024.....
I’m not a Dak lover but I do enjoy reading your comments and seeing that your so clouded with your judgement that you can’t even make a comment without it being about Dak.
I hope Jerry does sign him another 10 years just so I can continue to see you and the other Dak haters squirm.
GO Cowboys!

Flamma

Reaction score
Saddest part about Dak and Romo is that Jerry pretty much lucked into both of those guys. Romo wasn't even drafted and Dak was a 4th rounder, neither were thought of as possible long term starters, Pro Bowlers, etc.

It makes me wonder how many QBs are out there that were just never given a chance? Does Brady or Kurt Warner ever play if their starters don't go down?

The Cowboys just took a random shot in the 4th and got lucky?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That is the understatement of this forum.

There are ‘the ring is the thing” fans which are the most frustrated and then there are fans like me that as long as their competitive, I am OK.

MC, the difference is I have let the reality of who runs this team shape my expectations and left my Cowboys entitlement behind years ago.

I watch the games to see them play, not to win as I used to do. Some accuse me of lowering my expectations to meet the circumstance and I completely agree with that but I am not as frustrated a fan as they are.

I call it accepting what is and what is not likely to be. And so far, I am batting 1000%.
Yes sir, any Cowboy fan who hasn’t adjusted their expectations with this dysfunctional ownership this era aren’t in touch with reality. Well said !!

Flamma

Reaction score
Unfortunately his opinion or thoughts is all that matters since our course of action is going to be based on it.

If you dont grasp what drives our owner passions then going to be difficult to see his direction and intent .

Oh I grasp it. That's why I made that comment.