Reason deal got done with Lawrence

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Stephen went around Canter and called Lawrence, shortly after deal was done. Unwritten rule but this shows it was clear Lawrence agent was the one who was causing this to dragged out. Skip Bayless is the guy who is reporting this. Saw it on undisputed

JBS

Reaction score
Stephen went around Canter and called Lawrence, shortly after deal was done. Unwritten rule but this shows it was clear Lawrence agent was the one who was causing this to dragged out. Skip Bayless is the guy who is reporting this. Saw it on undisputed

Called him and said what?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Skip didnt know just kinda speculated that it probably centered around getting a deal done that allows them to get guys to win multiple super bowls. Makes sense saying that but he didnt know.

cern

Reaction score
this is not uncommon. sometimes a player just wants to get a deal done but the agent insists on holding out for more. zack martin did the same thing. he told his agent to get the deal done asap and it happened. this is not to suggest the agent did anything untoward. but sometimes they go overboard. not only does the agent get more money depending on the size of the deal, but they often use their prior deals as incentives to acquire other players services. no harm, no foul. good for tank.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Skip is not a reporter he was just giving his opinion and speculating on what had been reported. I think that either 1 SJ got permission to talk to DLaw about the contract or 2 SJ called him on his own and didn't discuss numbers at all. The report that I read the conversation was basically Tank saying that he wanted to be a Cowboy for the rest of his career and that he had done everything that JJ and SJ asked him to do which led to getting the deal done.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I normally give the press a pass on information. The team presents a position and the press prints it. The position could be misinformation because they are playing a cat and mouse game with other teams about trades, drafts, injury, ect. So if someone from the press is wrong, I don't rail on them like some do. They can only work with the information they receive. Especially mediots who are not local and don't know every nuance of every player on your team.

However, there are journalists who I find to be disingenuous at best and damned liars in practice.

Bayless is one of those guys. His ranting about Aikman being gay back in the 90's is what ultimately ran him out of Dallas. He held on to that stance while other journalists laughed at the notion. (This is not about being gay for me. It is about Bayless being controversial to gain readership. The same move as SAS when he rants. He must eat blood pressure pills like M&Ms. There was a writer for one of the Dallas newspapers back when they had two that was considered a poison pen about the Cowboys. No matter what he took a contrarian posture on the team. I don't abide those types who are elbowing their way to the top through malicious content versus real sports news. Dale Hansen has an agenda. He still is pissed about Barry Switzer punching him in the arm during an interview and being fired by Jerry Jones. His commentary about the Cowboys shows his bias.)

I like the Dragnet style of journalism. Just give me the facts. I'll form my own opinion.

So to that end, I wouldn't believe Bayless if he told me water was wet. And announcing Stephen went around the agent would do what with his future relationships with agents? That sound like a pile of bull nuggets to me. Not you, Latin, but Bayless and his self importance.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Skip didnt know just kinda speculated that it probably centered around getting a deal done that allows them to get guys to win multiple super bowls. Makes sense saying that but he didnt know.

Multiple super bowls? Let's get to a conference title game before we start talking about "multiple" super bowls.

Bigdog

Reaction score
This is also in another thread by Peter King. It alluded to that Canter told Lawrence to tell Stephen to trade him (2 AFC teams wanted him) but Lawrence refused to say it. Canter new he needed to get a deal done. Basically it was his agent that was driving up the price which is typical and one would expect.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

If you want to know the details of what happened then read the Albert Breer article someone posted here. Stephen did not go around Canter either.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Skip is not a reporter he was just giving his opinion and speculating on what had been reported. I think that either 1 SJ got permission to talk to DLaw about the contract or 2 SJ called him on his own and didn't discuss numbers at all. The report that I read the conversation was basically Tank saying that he wanted to be a Cowboy for the rest of his career and that he had done everything that JJ and SJ asked him to do which led to getting the deal done.

No Skip basically said Jones went around Canter.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
No Skip basically said Jones went around Canter.
Yea Skip gave his opinion on the original report that he thought SJ went around Canter. I have not seen a report that confirms that is what happen so Skip is just speculating.

btcutter

Reaction score
Shoulder surgery was really one of the key reason that the deal got completed so early.
Tank played it correctly as did FO. I am certain if shoulder surgery wasn't on the table this deal doesn't get done till July.