Reason deal got done with Lawrence

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Then why have agents?

I dont think skip was saying the negotiated, he saying Jones called him to have a heart toi heart with him and speak to him directly because you know Canter wouldnt tell him anything he didnt want him to know. I dont see why ur making this a big deal.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Just read it on here. No thats not what he was talking about. I think it might have happened before. IDK if it really happened nobody does But skip and shannon both were talking about it being a 1 on 1 with Lawrence and SJ.
I was watching the show and saw the articles before the show.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Read what? I didn't see anything in the OP's post that said that. What are you talking about?
The article in the OP

What the whole conversation is about

Everyone is saying SJones went around the agent but it clearly says in the article it was a conference call with everyone involved

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I dont think skip was saying the negotiated, he saying Jones called him to have a heart toi heart with him and speak to him directly because you know Canter wouldnt tell him anything he didnt want him to know. I dont see why ur making this a big deal.
That's a new point I haven't heard before. Thank you. It's not a big deal if all that you are saying is true. I just didn't understand all this until you took the time to explain it. Much appreciated.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The article in the OP

Everyone is saying SJones went around the agent but it clearly says in the article it was a conference call with everyone involved
What article? I see no article attached to the OP. I see the OP's comments about Skip and Shannon talking but that's it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The article in the OP

My bad... it was the other post about the same thing

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/dlaws-agent-was-working-with-2-afc-teams-possible-trade.431769/

That's a new point I haven't heard before. Thank you. It's not a big deal if all that you are saying is true. I just didn't understand all this until you took the time to explain it. Much appreciated.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Skip and Shannon were vague, but you can clearly see they arent talking about the conference call between jones lawrence and canter. If they are then they are really off base and are very good in hiding it with their expressions. They even say this is something within unwritten rules that you dont do in bypass the agent in talking to the player directly when there are negotiations ongoing.

If true it might be why Lawrence wouldnt tell the team what Canter wanted him to in the "trade me" text Canter sent Lawrence. This deal Lawrence showed just how much good faith this team shows players. This is a very team friendly deal. I can see them restructuring in 3 yrs for Lawrence's final deal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
this is not uncommon. sometimes a player just wants to get a deal done but the agent insists on holding out for more. zack martin did the same thing. he told his agent to get the deal done asap and it happened. this is not to suggest the agent did anything untoward. but sometimes they go overboard. not only does the agent get more money depending on the size of the deal, but they often use their prior deals as incentives to acquire other players services. no harm, no foul. good for tank.

Players are more interested in their play than agents. Their interests aren't identical. The player has to push for his own where they clash.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Is this going to become an issue that the league investigates and possibly takes away draft picks or worse?

Why in the world would it?

Free agency officially started already, the Cowboys can talk to any free agent they want to, be it a Cowboys player or any other player. The tampering rule only applies in-season or before free agency starts.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Why in the world would it?

Free agency officially started already, the Cowboys can talk to any free agent they want to, be it a Cowboys player or any other player. The tampering rule only applies in-season or before free agency starts.
I'm just asking. You don't have to bite my head off. You know how the commish likes to stick it to the Cowboys.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm just asking. You don't have to bite my head off. You know how the commish likes to stick it to the Cowboys.
I don’t believe there is any requirement to only work with agents
I don’t know of any part of the cba that’s says you can’t contact player though it’s a good question
Agents are scum bags

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don’t believe there is any requirement to only work with agents
I don’t know of any part of the cba that’s says you can’t contact player though it’s a good question
Agents are scum bags
The State Farm commercial featuring Aaron Rodgers and his agent is a classic example of how much of a scum bag agents are... when the agent claims to uses meditation to make his urges to use the bathroom go away. :lmao2:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can't help but think that maybe Stephen and Lawrence should have talked earlier. Perhaps their contract would have been settled earlier.

Something tells me it's feasible that David Canter had some personal ambition that he desired to achieve through the negotiating process.

Last edited: