Reason why they had Smith over the Green/Zion

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He beat out Farniok, McGovern, and even Williams for the job.

Now all of a sudden because they brought in a couple undrafted FA center rookies its going to be a tough battle?
He was never in any competition, they were just looking for a gameday backup.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I was listening to a podcast this weekend where Cowboys scouting, Chris Hall was on. He said that all 3 could play Guard now, but they viewed Green/Zion as future Centers, but saw Smith as the only future tackle. He says that you take the future Tackle 10 out of 10 times.
That's a moronic comment (not by you, by Hall). You take the guy who is going to be a better player. That simple. The idea that you take a guy in the first round who may some day switch to OT over a guy that may someday switch to C when you are expecting to start them this season and likely the foreseeable future, not stash them on the bench, sounds like trying to justify their comment that they had him ranked higher.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That's a moronic comment (not by you, by Hall). You take the guy who is going to be a better player. That simple. The idea that you take a guy in the first round who may some day switch to OT over a guy that may someday switch to C when you are expecting to start them this season and likely the foreseeable future, not stash them on the bench, sounds like trying to justify their comment that they had him ranked higher.
Positional value is real, harder to find a quality LT then it is for G/C. Think they viewed Smith as good as the other 2 as a Guard, but offered better positional flex down the line.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyler Smith also has the highest upside at OG of the 3.
- The other 2 were more 'ready now' but TS was clearly had highest upside of the 3, even if just comparing at OG.

I have zero doubt that if all 3 play OG in the NFL, that in year 2 that Tyler Smith is clearly the best player.

If all 3 players reach their potential, based on physical ability their upside comparisons:
Zion: Rodney Hudson
Green: Ron Leary
Tyler Smith: Jason Peters

Jarntt

Reaction score
Positional value is real, harder to find a quality LT then it is for G/C. Think they viewed Smith as good as the other 2 as a Guard, but offered better positional flex down the line.
Totally agree, but that's not the point. We didn't draft him for 2 or 3 years from now we drafted him for this year. If we were only worried about OT a couple of years from now we could have waited if we needed to or perhaps still made the pick. I'm not ever one to say draft picks should be expected to contribute week 1 of their first year but the fact that we didn't sign any decent OG made it clear that him playing OG week 1 is the team's plan. So the best guy to play now damn sure better be the choice, not a guy who possibly may or may not be something else years from now. You don't sacrifice a few years of actual play for a possibility down the road. Again the other guys were long gone so it's just a BS marketing ploy by the team to justify the fact that the brain trust felt the need to come out and say he was ranked higher because they have diarrhea of the mouth and were upset that their decision was questioned.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Tyler Smith also has the highest upside at OG of the 3.
- The other 2 were more 'ready now' but TS was clearly had highest upside of the 3, even if just comparing at OG.

I have zero doubt that if all 3 play OG in the NFL, that in year 2 that Tyler Smith is clearly the best player.

If all 3 players reach their potential, based on physical ability their upside comparisons:
Zion: Rodney Hudson
Green: Ron Leary
Tyler Smith: Jason Peters
"TS was clearly had highest upside of the 3": Possibly but that isn't what I am specifically talking about.

Also, to say Green's maximum potential is Leary is off base and I loved Leary. I'd say him being a Leary type is more the expected than his potential. I don't see T Smith 73 as a Jason Peters type of player either, but it's really just all opinion at this point I guess so I can't argue it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Totally agree, but that's not the point. We didn't draft him for 2 or 3 years from now we drafted him for this year. If we were only worried about OT a couple of years from now we could have waited if we needed to or perhaps still made the pick. I'm not ever one to say draft picks should be expected to contribute week 1 of their first year but the fact that we didn't sign any decent OG made it clear that him playing OG week 1 is the team's plan. So the best guy to play now damn sure better be the choice, not a guy who possibly may or may not be something else years from now. You don't sacrifice a few years of actual play for a possibility down the road. Again the other guys were long gone so it's just a BS marketing ploy by the team to justify the fact that the brain trust felt the need to come out and say he was ranked higher because they have diarrhea of the mouth and were upset that their decision was questioned.
Disagree, a 1st rd pick is an investment of the life of the rookie 5 yr contract.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Disagree, a 1st rd pick is an investment of the life of the rookie 5 yr contract.
The team absolutely drafted him to start and to contribute this year and their actions at OG this offseason show that. They went into this draft with tunnel vision and spouted off about BPA and did nothing but 100% draft for need. So It doesn't really matter what your thoughts are on the "investment" nor mine. That is my point. I assume personally that a first round pick will hopefully be here even more than 5 years, but the team made a choice with year 1 and 2 on their minds first and foremost because they are doing everything possible to start him in a position he wasn't playing. So where he is or isn't a few years down the road is a ridiculous way to try and justify a pick. We need him to be a good OG for the next couple of years. It doesn't matter if he moves out to Tackle or not. He could just stay at Guard if he is good and that would be fantastic. The talk of position flex when it comes to this team is to the point of bizarre. It's like someone gave them a catch phrase and they made it their mantra. Just get guys who are the best Football players and stop trying to overthink everything. We draft a tackle to play him at guard and move back to tackle. We scout the top two guards and think they are centers. Sometimes the obvious answer is the right one instead of trying to plug a guy in somewhere he isn't playing. Didn't work with Williams.

If they think he is the best player, just say that and I have no reason to doubt it, but stop with the position flex crap or telling us you drafted him to play at a position he isn't likely to play for a while if ever as the justification. It's better to have an All Pro OG than an average OT. The idea that one may be a Center and one may be a OT isn't as important as which will be the better football player and especially when our Center isn't very good. We are looking for stars in the 1st round, not roster fillers

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The team absolutely drafted him to start and to contribute this year and their actions at OG this offseason show that. They went into this draft with tunnel vision and spouted off about BPA and did nothing but 100% draft for need. So It doesn't really matter what your thoughts are on the "investment" nor mine. That is my point. I assume personally that a first round pick will hopefully be here even more than 5 years, but the team made a choice with year 1 and 2 on their minds first and foremost because they are doing everything possible to start him in a position he wasn't playing. So where he is or isn't a few years down the road is a ridiculous way to try and justify a pick. We need him to be a good OG for the next couple of years. It doesn't matter if he moves out to Tackle or not. He could just stay at Guard if he is good and that would be fantastic. The talk of position flex when it comes to this team is to the point of bizarre. It's like someone gave them a catch phrase and they made it their mantra. Just get guys who are the best Football players and stop trying to overthink everything. We draft a tackle to play him at guard and move back to tackle. We scout the top two guards and think they are centers. Sometimes the obvious answer is the right one instead of trying to plug a guy in somewhere he isn't playing. Didn't work with Williams.

If they think he is the best player, just say that and I have no reason to doubt it, but stop with the position flex crap or telling us you drafted him to play at a position he isn't likely to play for a while if ever as the justification. It's better to have an All Pro OG than an average OT. The idea that one may be a Center and one may be a OT isn't as important as which will be the better football player and especially when our Center isn't very good. We are looking for stars in the 1st round, not roster fillers
Almost every team drafts best available at a need position. If we would of drafted the best available we would of drafted Cine who was their last 1st rd player available. All the interior lineman had 2nd rd grades by the team.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Almost every team drafts best available at a need position. If we would of drafted the best available we would of drafted Cine who was their last 1st rd player available. All the interior lineman had 2nd rd grades by the team.
We drafted as if we had a list of needs ranked and drafted in that order. It was almost comical since the team pretends they draft BPA with every pick. If you don't look at BPA at all you are foolish. That certainly doesn't mean you draft strictly BPA either of course which would also be foolish. It's a blend of the two

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We drafted as if we had a list of needs ranked and drafted in that order. It was almost comical since the team pretends they draft BPA with every pick. If you don't look at BPA at all you are foolish. That certainly doesn't mean you draft strictly BPA either of course which would also be foolish. It's a blend of the two
No, they don't draft BPA, but always have BPA at a need position. They claim CeeDee was BPA, but they had a need at WR.