Reasons for Bobby Carpenter to be picked

Bigdog

Reaction score
I do not post much but enjoy reading others posts especially the mock drafts. Please keep them coming. I am no expert by any means and we all like our different players on who are beloved Cowboys should pick at outside linebacker. I like all 3 in Wimbley, Carpenter, and Lawson, but I am tending to lean to Carpenter for these various reasons:

1) Has played the linebacker position before and will not have to change positions like the other two.

2) He is very versitile which would help us. We do not know if Adoyle will be a good middle linbacker (never played in this type of defense, I think) and we do not know the health status of Kevin Burnett.

3) He plays the run and pass equally well and i read that he had 10 sacks in just 8 games. He ran a 4.6 I believe and will play the strong side which he would have to face a tight end and tackle. Lawson ran a 4.4 and I do not know how fast Wimbley but Sporting News magazine reported that it was 4.6. There is not much difference in times. Besides that is overall speed in the 40, I read where Caprenter has a good 10 yard burst. That is all you need to get to the quarterback.

4) Anticipates well according to publish reports such as ESPN and Sporting News.

Now I have not seen any OSU games but I think that he just brings more to the table. I would not mind the other two but I leaning towards picking Carpenter in trade down with the Jets for their 29th pick. They give up 3rd (97th overall) and 4th (117 overall).The trade value is about even with us coming out 20 points ahead. I am just worry about the 49ers, Patriots and jags. I do not think the Giants will sign a linebacker due to the fact that they just sign Arrington. This is also under the assumption that all 3 will be on the board when we pick and the Jets want to pick someone else beside those 3. But with this trade we can pick up OG,OT,FS on the first day. Anyway, i just wanted to add my 2 cent for what it is worth which is not much.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Good post, BigDog. You should post more.

I'd love to get Carpenter too, but I doubt he makes it passed the Pats at 21 or the Niners at 22 so I think we'd have to take him at 18.

lostinomiya

Reaction score
well, i dont post much either...just joined actually...and have also been reading alot of the draft posts. some people have good points to make and some people just seem to say "I like X" without any reasoned explanation why.
I dont know anything about any of the players first hand...i am not from the US and am just learning about the nuances of the game more and more...but the points you make seem to make sense as far as i can make out except i agree with the other poster that from all the buzz so far it seems unlikely that carpenter will last to 29.

ghst187

Reaction score
i agree with the original post and with Rack's point about NE or SF taking Carpenter.
I think Carp would be a great pick, even better a few spots down from 18, but I don't really see us having that luxury.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that Carpenter makes the most sense for the Cowboys' needs. He's the most complete outside linebacker of the group and seems most suited for the SOLB position opposite Ware.

And I hope the Cowboys don't get "too cute" and try to trade down and miss out on the player they want.

If Carpenter is there at #18, take him and be happy you got your guy. (if he is their guy....)

Natedawg44

Reaction score
One thing that is appealing with Carpenter is ability to play inside as well. If we ever needed him to do that in the future for personel reasons (injuries etc) I think he could do it seemlessly.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Vela was the first to point this out, buuut..

If you're going for a linebacker now, you have to consider that San Francisco has lost two linebackers, and now occupies draft slot #22.

Of the three guys that Dallas fans have salivated over, Carpenter appears to be the safest bet; he has the tightest valuation of the linebacker (low 20s to mid 40s) candidates and a good pedigree. The one thing I like with Carpenter is an excellent size/speed ratio. For a guy his size, he can really motor.

David.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Rack said:
I'd love to get Carpenter too, but I doubt he makes it passed the Pats at 21 or the Niners at 22 so I think we'd have to take him at 18.

They can have him or Lawson, I'd rather have Wimbley in a trade down.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Bigdog said:
3) He plays the run and pass equally well and i read that he had 10 sacks in just 8 games. He ran a 4.6 I believe and will play the strong side which he would have to face a tight end and tackle. Lawson ran a 4.4 and I do not know how fast Wimbley but Sporting News magazine reported that it was 4.6. There is not much difference in times. Besides that is overall speed in the 40, I read where Caprenter has a good 10 yard burst. That is all you need to get to the quarterback.
Just want to comment on 3 of those statements. Carp had 8 sacks - 4.41 and a 4.61 is a huge difference - No DE or OLB had a faster 10 yd dash time than Lawson, by far..

Now my take on it.
I like Carpenter for his size and tenacity. His ability to play coverage, he had 3 INTs in his junior year, and 93 tackles also in his Junior year. So he has everything you need to play the position including pass rushing skills. I'm not sure how great his pass rushing is, but if he has problems getting to the QB at the next level, I would consider moving him inside and Ayodele outside, and see what happens from there.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Just want to comment on 3 of those statements. Carp had 8 sacks - 4.41 and a 4.61 is a huge difference - No DE or OLB had a faster 10 yd dash time than Lawson, by far..

Those aren't 10 yard dash times.

And there's a difference between a 10 yard burst and the 10 yard dash.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rack said:
Those aren't 10 yard dash times.

And there's a difference between a 10 yard burst and the 10 yard dash.
I wasn't talking about those times there. Lawson had 1.53 which was blazing fast for OLB or DE.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I wasn't talking about those times there. Lawson had 1.53 which was blazing fast for OLB or DE.

What was Carpenter's time?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rack said:
What was Carpenter's time?
Not listed. I've not seen it anywhere, so I'm thinking he didn't run it. However, I do know that Hawks was 1.56 and Wimbley's was 1.58. Hawk and Howard both ran a 4.42 40 and each turned in a 1.56 & 1.58 respectively.

I don't know what Carpenter's is, but it should be around 1.60 or lower, because he showed me a little burst. He has enough burst, and if Carp gets a head start or a running start on a tackle, he may run thru the guy...:)

I can guarantee you this, backs trying to pick up the blitz on Carpenter will not be very successful... His center of gravity is pretty good, and he looks like he has very good balance after contact (meaning he won't get taken off of his feet much).

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Not listed. I've not seen it anywhere, so I'm thinking he didn't run it. However, I do know that Hawks was 1.56 and Wimbley's was 1.58. Hawk and Howard both ran a 4.42 40 and each turned in a 1.56 & 1.58 respectively.

I don't know what Carpenter's is, but it should be around 1.60 or lower, because he showed me a little burst. He has enough burst, and if Carp gets a head start or a running start on a tackle, he may run thru the guy...:)

I can guarantee you this, backs trying to pick up the blitz on Carpenter will not be very successful... His center of gravity is pretty good, and he looks like he has very good balance after contact (meaning he won't get taken off of his feet much).

Honestly, I don't care what his 10 yard dash time is. My point is you don't know Carpenter's so you can't say Lawson has the fastest 10 yard burst "By far".

That said, yeah I'd agree that Lawson has the fastest 10 yard dash time even not knowing Carpenter's time.

But like another poster said a couple of weeks ago, better to have an average speed step in the right direction then to have a super speed step in the wrong direction.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rack said:
Honestly, I don't care what his 10 yard dash time is. My point is you don't know Carpenter's so you can't say Lawson has the fastest 10 yard burst "By far".

That said, yeah I'd agree that Lawson has the fastest 10 yard dash time even not knowing Carpenter's time.

But like another poster said a couple of weeks ago, better to have an average speed step in the right direction then to have a super speed step in the wrong direction.
Time will tell on who was the best choice. One of the 3 could be injury prone... One of them could be a complete bust - All of them could be busts or stars. Too bad we can't see more footage of the big 3, that way we as fans could really get a feel for the 3 of them.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out that he only had 8 sacks. I read some where that he had 10. I stand corrected and you are right that 4.61 and 4.4 is a big difference. I just like Carpenter's versatility more than any of the other 2. Just in case Adoyle doesn't pan out in the middle (can move him to outside, then) and Burnett is not healthy. I do not think any of the 3 will last to 29 either but one can dream. Like another poster said all 3 can be busts. I hope the one we choose is not.

Strong

Reaction score
You are starting to convince me. Carpenter.... hmmm. Might not be a value pick, but he won't get by NE and other 3-4 teams. I fear if we take Wembley or Lawson we might get another Shante Carver. Carpenter might not be a freak, but he would look real nice across from our freak (Ware).

Strong.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Bigdog said:
Thanks for pointing out that he only had 8 sacks. I read some where that he had 10. I stand corrected and you are right that 4.61 and 4.4 is a big difference. I just like Carpenter's versatility more than any of the other 2. Just in case Adoyle doesn't pan out in the middle (can move him to outside, then) and Burnett is not healthy. I do not think any of the 3 will last to 29 either but one can dream. Like another poster said all 3 can be busts. I hope the one we choose is not.

8 sacks for a part-time pass rusher is pretty good. If he rushed the passer as often as Lawson he would of had more sacks then Lawson. If he rushed the passer as often as Lawson and faced as many single teams as Lawson he would of had even MORE sacks then Lawson.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I haven't seen Carpenter play but in the clips I have seen he looks like a big, lumbering guy who barely manages to chase down quarterbacks. Granted, he ran a good 40, but are you guys sure he's fast enough to play that position?

Wimbley and Greenway look much more athletic and seem to hit their guys with some pop wheras Carpenter seems to lumber into them.

Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
I haven't seen Carpenter play but in the clips I have seen he looks like a big, lumbering guy who barely manages to chase down quarterbacks. Granted, he ran a good 40, but are you guys sure he's fast enough to play that position?

Wimbley and Greenway look much more athletic and seem to hit their guys with some pop wheras Carpenter seems to lumber into them.

I believe you may be watching Carpenter with a bit of bias. I've watched him the past few years almost every game, and lumbering is NEVER a word I would attach to him. Once he clears his blocker, he has a very good burst to the ball carrier. He makes plays all over the field, which is hard to do if one is "lumbering". He is larger than the other two, which may make them seem a little quicker, but he uses that extra muscle to move OTs out of his way, once he has them off balance.

Bobby Carpenter is an old school football player who just loves to do whatever it takes to help his team & his teammates. That is what I have loved about that entire LB crew for the Bucks. They play for each other. None want to get out of position or miss a play, because they don't want to let their 'mates down. It's also because they are so competitive, it brings out an intensity that is hard to describe.

I know one thing: If I hear the name, "Bobby Carpenter" at the 18th spot, I'll know my team has just gotten a lot better.