Recap for those that missed it

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much, additionally:

Pollard was used in the run and pass game. Looked good. Even ran between the tackles for a 15 yard TD after someone missed a tackle. Had a 9 yard reception, I think he had another pass/run called back. Whiffed in pass protection, not uncommon for rooks, so he has something to work on.

Devin Smith also had a great catch in the back corner of the endzone. I don't think Austin could have caught that. Rush threw a good ball actually, and Devin had a great grab. After Reggie and Jon'Vea's days, I think Devin moved to the top of the bubble list at WR.

Olumba had a couple splash plays. I think the last CB spot comes down to him or Goodwin, Goodwin had a heads up fumble recovery on a muffed punt, he has good size + speed.

Mike White is godawful. I'd be surprised if he played another preseason in the NFL. Maybe someone gets desperate and just needs a guy who can throw passes like a jug machine during 90 player training camps, that's about his only route.

McElroy might get a chance at the PS. Lucas was actually open quite a bit, if they decide to go with some big WR type TE maybe they put him on the PS.

If playing with 1's, Rush might be able to hold down a game or two. (I'd be looking at cuts to sign another QB to the PS after the cutdowns (maybe a 49er QB makes it through waivers).

The end.
Nicely done.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LVE allowed a td. He looked a little lost during that red zone play. :omg:

It is impossible to know for certain if that was his responsibility.

The Rams had the perfect route combo against the coverage the Cowboy used no that play.

The Cowboys played the DB over (behind) the middle area WRs and played the 2 LBs under them.

The Rams had 3 WRs right at the goal-line each spaced about 5 yards apart (1 right, 1 middle and 1 left).
- If LVE covered the middle WR, then there was no under coverage on the offensive-right WR.
- Joe Thomas covered the middle WR, then there was no under coverage on the offensive-left WR.

I think the fault was actually on the Safety (Frazier).
- He was alone towards the back-middle of the end-zone.
- He was late to recognize the route combinations relative to the coverage they were playing.
- He should have come forward much earlier to cover the middle WR.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Devon Smith. He could be our Jimmy Smith that got away in reverse.
Devin Smith
It's interesting that you mention Jimmy Smith.

Devin Smith's style reminds me of Jimmy Smith.
- I've described Devin Smith as looking smooth.
- Jimmy Smith's nickname was J-Smooth.
- I am NOT saying that Devin Smith has Jimmy Smith's ability.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Just seen where Eagles signed Josh McCown, out of retirement at 40 years old.
I think they jumped on this before Dallas could do it today. Them dang Eagles. :muttley:
Next thing they will sign Bryant though they do not need a K, just so we can't sign him. :banghead:

So, are the Eagles keeping 4 QBS? They gave McCown $2m guaranteed. He's staying. Kessler was the #2 and got concussed. Sudfeld broke a wrist. Is Sudfeld going on short term IR? Is Kessler going on short term IR? Kessler could be cut. Maybe the Cowboys can pick him up? I don't know much about him, though.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, are the Eagles keeping 4 QBS? They gave McCown $2m guaranteed. He's staying. Kessler was the #2 and got concussed. Sudfeld broke a wrist. Is Sudfeld going on short term IR? Is Kessler going on short term IR? Kessler could be cut. Maybe the Cowboys can pick him up? I don't know much about him, though.

For them to go to short term IR. Meaning to be eligible to play, they need to be on the 53 man roster. Then move them to IR.
If they are placed on IR now, they will be out for the entire season. So it depends on how long they think they will be out to make those decisions.

If they release them before. Then I doubt they are claimed from waivers while injured. Then the new team will be faced with the same scenario. They could be waived now, then if they clear waivers, they then go to the Eagles IR. Then they will need to keep them on there or come to an injury release settlement. So teams will just wait and see.

Back up QB's are a big problem for many teams right now. Goose Gosselin said, that since the year 2000, the winning % with back up QB's drops from 53% to 43%.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s Rush, and no he didn’t. To properly evaluate they were just giving White the same opportunity to play with more of the starters and primary back ups this week that Rush has last week. White failed to perform remotely as well as Rush either week, so Rush will remain #2.
Yup.

Funny how people have those strange takes. Not to mention taking things in preseason way too seriously and improperly evaluating due to not taking into consideration that we're watching a controlled scrimmage.

Creeper

Reaction score
There were some starters missing but the Cowboys 1st teams were going against the Rams 2nd teams to start the game and they played to a 7-7 tie.

Praxit

Reaction score
There were some starters missing but the Cowboys 1st teams were going against the Rams 2nd teams to start the game and they played to a 7-7 tie.
....ST gave Rams those 7pts. They didnt march down the field on a 80yd drive.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
  • It would be exceedingly foolish to keep White on the roster
  • I hope they find a way to keep Devin Smith and Cedric Wilson. I think they're both really good.
  • I hope they find a way to keep Justin Phillips. I think he's an NFL linebacker.
  • Our d-line has great depth, more than any position on the team. Tough decisions on cuts. We'll probably lose one or two players who will end up contributing on another team. Crawford is essentially in the last year of his contract. I think he's better than he's given credit for on this forum, but it might be time to cut him, take the $4M dead cap, and open up a spot for one of the younger guys. Joe Jackson is better than I thought he'd be.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Mike White is godawful. I'd be surprised if he played another preseason in the NFL. Maybe someone gets desperate and just needs a guy who can throw passes like a jug machine during 90 player training camps, that's about his only route.

Great summary, this is what I would have highlighted. This should be a seperate thread.

Can Mike White go to the PS this year after being on the 53 last year?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Devin Smith
It's interesting that you mention Jimmy Smith.

Devin Smith's style reminds me of Jimmy Smith.
- I've described Devin Smith as looking smooth.
- Jimmy Smith's nickname was J-Smooth.
- I am NOT saying that Devin Smith has Jimmy Smith's ability.

The thing that excites me about Devin Smith that he isn't as one dimensional as the writeups said. He got drafted in the 2nd round on his deep ball skills but he really looks like he could give you a lot more than just those Brice Butler deep out plays.

Im thinking the depth chart is Amari, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Wilson and Butler, with Noah Brown as a wild card to be the 7th guy. Then Jon'Vea Johnson on the PS, which I love also.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Great summary, this is what I would have highlighted. This should be a seperate thread.

Can Mike White go to the PS this year after being on the 53 last year?

I think so. Rules are you can't be on a 53 for two years, or have 3 years of PS experience.

I'd be looking at guys available after waivers, if they make it through waivers and aren't on a PS, we can sign them to ours. Filing a claim during waivers means we have to put them on the 53.

Developmental, hopefully backup competition, QB will likely come from the draft, but I have to imagine with teams stocking up and all the cutdowns, there will be at least someone who is better than White. Very low bar unfortunately, not sure what happened to him.

But yep we could. Also, Butler isn't on the team anymore! You're losing it! Time for velcro shoes!

75boyz

Reaction score
Now for reality:

The Dline was horrid. There was little to know pass rush at all. Collins was the ONLY guy that looked good at a quick glimpse. Amrstrong was a disappointment, Hill got thrown around and Taco was as bad as he always is. The QB hit him in the face with the ball. LOL

White is absolutely horrid. Cant play in the NFL. Its sad he is even on the team. Shows that these coaches cant evaluate talent.

Morris is done. Pollard is the real deal. Looked fantastic. He did have room, but the kid has great vision, is fluid, can catch, and hits the hole fast.

I like Devon Smith. He could be our Jimmy Smith that got away in reverse.

I like the first team secondary making plays finally.

You can see small tweeks to the offense on plays like the handoff to Oluwale on the 3rd and short. A little misdirection trickery that you never saw with Garrett. And you can see he REALLY knows how to use the FB. Unlike Garrett.

This better describes what I watched.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
  • It would be exceedingly foolish to keep White on the roster
  • I hope they find a way to keep Devin Smith and Cedric Wilson. I think they're both really good.
  • I hope they find a way to keep Justin Phillips. I think he's an NFL linebacker.
  • Our d-line has great depth, more than any position on the team. Tough decisions on cuts. We'll probably lose one or two players who will end up contributing on another team. Crawford is essentially in the last year of his contract. I think he's better than he's given credit for on this forum, but it might be time to cut him, take the $4M dead cap, and open up a spot for one of the younger guys. Joe Jackson is better than I thought he'd be.
Good summary. I would describe the DL a bit differently, however. We are at least two deep at every position but, I wouldn't characterize it as great depth. Behind the 4 projected starters - DLaw, Quinn, Collins and Woods -- the likely 5 or, possibly 6 backups are, for the most part an undistinguished group. Setting aside his contract status, Crawford is probably the best of the rest.

I am really glad the team has added DL through the draft and free agency. At this point, though, we are betting more on potential than actual delivered performance.. I will grant that this is a better group than we have had in some time.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Pollard was preoccupied with carrying out the fake handoff. He has to learn that when the blitz is coming he needs to abandon the fake.

But that's on the QB also. He should have just turned around and told Pollard to abandon the fake and focus on the blitzer.

Could have been some on Dak too. But Pollard has the reputation as a poor pass blocker coming out, whether or not he was the problem on that particular play. It's an area he needs to prove himself in. Until he does, I'd consider that a limitation on how we should be using him.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
It’s Rush, and no he didn’t. To properly evaluate they were just giving White the same opportunity to play with more of the starters and primary back ups this week that Rush has last week. White failed to perform remotely as well as Rush either week, so Rush will remain #2.

Don’t ruin my drunken rants...:p

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Problem with cutting Crawford is next year. We're already light on DT pass rushers. Collins leaves next year. I do think there are plenty of DEs to take Crawford's DE snaps. But not pass rushing DT. We'd have to be hopeful on guys panning out.

One guy who might give us something is Daniel Ross. Only 1 sack, but 7 QB hits, and that's on only a 25% snap load. I haven't heard a peep about him this year. Checked the roster to see if he was still on it. Yep. Per snap, his production is comparable to Collins and Woods.