Recap: Jimmy Johnson on Dan Patrick

EndGame

Reaction score
Just caught probably half of Jimmy's phone-in on the Dan Patrick Show. Here's what I heard:

-The Giants look like an ordinary team without Plaxico Burress. They need to find a way to offset that loss. Jimmy thinks they can do it. He didn't give any specific suggestions, though.

-He thinks the Cowboys defense has been playing incredibly well, and that the team can get it together and make the playoffs.

-If he had to buy stock in one team for the next six weeks, it would be the Steelers or Giants. I assume what this means is that he thinks one of those teams could make the Super Bowl.

-He thinks Wade Phillips keeps his job after this season, even if the Boys don't make the playoffs. He says the way the defense has been playing, it will be hard for Jerry Jones to get rid of him. He says he doesn't think Jerry is quite ready to hand the reigns to Jason Garrett yet.

-Several phones were ringing on Jimmy's end during the interview. After Jimmy answered the above question, Dan Patrick said maybe one of those calls is from Jerry Jones about Jimmy coming back to coaching. Jimmy said he can call, but it may ring and ring, just like these phones are right now. In print here it sounds harsh, but I think he just meant, "forget it, that's not happening".

Wrangler87

Reaction score
EndGame;2503526 said:
Just caught probably half of Jimmy's phone-in on the Dan Patrick Show. Here's what I heard:

-The Giants look like an ordinary team without Plaxico Burress. They need to find a way to offset that loss. Jimmy thinks they can do it. He didn't give any specific suggestions, though.

-He thinks the Cowboys defense has been playing incredibly well, and that the team can get it together and make the playoffs.

-If he had to buy stock in one team for the next six weeks, it would be the Steelers or Giants. I assume what this means is that he thinks one of those teams could make the Super Bowl.

-He thinks Wade Phillips keeps his job after this season, even if the Boys don't make the playoffs. He says the way the defense has been playing, it will be hard for Jerry Jones to get rid of him. He says he doesn't think Jerry is quite ready to hand the reigns to Jason Garrett yet.

-Several phones were ringing on Jimmy's end during the interview. After Jimmy answered the above question, Dan Patrick said maybe one of those calls is from Jerry Jones about Jimmy coming back to coaching. Jimmy said he can call, but it may ring and ring, just like these phones are right now. In print here it sounds harsh, but I think he just meant, "forget it, that's not happening".

Jimmy's legacy got a bit tarnished in Miami. I just think he could not handle taking over a team so close to being great, and then failing.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I think Jimmy did a good job in Miami. He just decided to quit the game after he got crushed in the playoffs.
The Giants and Pittsburgh are the obvious picks for the SB. We just haven't been consistent enough yet to warrant consideration.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
dmq;2503630 said:
I think Jimmy did a good job in Miami. He just decided to quit the game after he got crushed in the playoffs.
The Giants and Pittsburgh are the obvious picks for the SB. We just haven't been consistent enough yet to warrant consideration.

I think the Giants are in the middle of a collapse.

silver

Reaction score
dmq;2503630 said:

we'll get consideration after we crush the Ravens and the Giants get walloped by the Panthers. The way our defense is playing Flacco won't have a fighting chance. And the way the Panthers are running the ball, the Plaxico/Jacobs less Giants don't have the horses to counter attack.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2503622 said:
Jimmy's legacy got a bit tarnished in Miami. I just think he could not handle taking over a team so close to being great, and then failing.

I disagree about Miami.

Jimmy goes to Miami and has a washed up, in the twilight of his career Dan Marino that loved to throw more than Brett Favre (yet another QB who wouldnt use a running game)

He had no chance... no chance

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
dmq;2503630 said:

The job he did in Miami was a horrid one.

He couldn't draft offense to save his life.

He also named Wanny as his succesor and that guy coached miserably.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Marino was still a good QB and the problem in Miami was that they never got a running game or a really good D. Jimmy was not able to rekindle the magic of the drafts of 90-92. Mainly because he did not have a lot of pics. You look at the number of duds that Jimmy picked here and it was pretty high= but we had so many pics it did not matter. Very different in Miami.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Jimmy was done after the Cowboys. The fire was gone, but like an aging RB whose pride gets in the way, he thought he could continue to find success.

What killed his career and ended Marino's was when Jimmy took Marino's ability to audible out of the game plan.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
dmq;2503630 said:

That's one hell of an overstatement!

OK the Giants and Panthers will take the #1 and #2 seeds and those teams always have to be considered the favorites.

After that can you honestly tell me their is even one team considered a better play to make it out of the NFC than the Cowboys?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sonnyboy;2503768 said:
That's one hell of an overstatement!

OK the Giants and Panthers will take the #1 and #2 seeds and those teams always have to be considered the favorites.

After that can you honestly tell me their is even one team considered a better play to make it out of the NFC than the Cowboys?

Edit: Never mind, I misread your post. I agree: after the Giants and Panthers, I don't think there is a better play. But the Giants and Panthers have to be considered better plays.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Johnson: Cowboys' Phillips will be back next year

09:39 AM12.18 Posted By: Andrew Perloff

FOX's Jimmy Johnson had several interesting takes on his former team the Cowboys and the rest of the NFL:

Johnson doesn't think that Dallas owner Jerry Jones will get rid of head coach Wade Phillips after this season whether they make the playoffs or not. Johnson thinks the owner has to be happy with way the defense is playing and wouldn't want to lose that edge.

Johnson explained Jones' philosophy that all attention is good for the Cowboys. Johnson says in today's media word, there's always someone to argue on both sides, so it works out.

Johnson told a great story about when he was an assistant coach at Oklahoma. The head coach spurred a fight between the defense and offense, because he thought the team had gotten "fat and happy." Johnson says some controversy can be good for a team.

Johnson had a very interesting take on how much a coach should take. Johnson said that he had a lot less leniency for a backup player. He gave stars much more leeway.

Johnson said he understands why Tom Coughlin gave Plaxico Burress so much slack. Johnson said the Giants are pretty average without Burress. Defenses can put eight in the box since they don't have to double-team any receivers.

Dan asked Johnson about the success of rookie quarterbacks this year and how they compare to Troy Aikman his rookie season. Johnson said that Aikman's problem was a rookie coaching staff in Dallas. To Johnson, a rookie coach is worse for a team than a rookie QB.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/33621/

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
I disagree with his comment about the Giants. I personally don't think there's a team that could /or should beat us anymore coming from the NFC side of things. Our one-trick pony will just be getting past tomorrow and getting into the playoffs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have nothing against Jimmy, he was a top rate coach I do think his style of coaching wears on him and the players which is one reason Jimmy has never stayed more than 5 years on any team. He is high octane but burns out quickly but while he is there he will get the most out of his teams

Smith22

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2505458 said:
I have nothing against Jimmy, he was a top rate coach I do think his style of coaching wears on him and the players which is one reason Jimmy has never stayed more than 5 years on any team. He is high octane but burns out quickly but while he is there he will get the most out of his teams

Agreed. I could see the same thing happen with a HC like Wade though. Sooner or later, the players will become to relaxed and we will have to bring in another coach, a hard nose type like Cowher/BP.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Smith22;2505469 said:
Agreed. I could see the same thing happen with a HC like Wade though. Sooner or later, the players will become to relaxed and we will have to bring in another coach, a hard nose type like Cowher/BP.

That could happen. I will say I don't think he is as soft on the team as the perception. Wade is not going to air the dirty laundry to the media and yes he will use this ah shucks attitude in front of the media but Wade expects a lot out of these players and is willing to treat them as grown men. Wade has been in this business for a long time and much like his father he can get players to play hard for him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2505475 said:
Dallas gets blown out Saturday night and Wade is history.

Even if Dallas loses and loses big they'll be playing the Eagles for a likely playoff spot the following week.

I'd say losing both and doing so handily "could" mean a change but it is hardly likely.