Recap: Wade said jenkins, Austin probably out for sundays game...PC Thread

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Wade had an early PC today.

He said barber and ware would go through the walk through portions of practice today and will hopefully practice later in the week. And they are day to day, he doesnt know if they will or will not play sunday.

He said alonzo coleman did not play well enough in the preseason they thought and that is why he has not been activated plus he has no special teams experience.

He was asked about jenkins and austin and He said he thinks they are both out for another week, but said that could change and dont hold him to it.

then of course, pacman. He said pacman will play in sub packages and be the punt returner.

Its pretty great to me that they are practicing today.

edit. sorry about spelling jenkins wrong! It was a typo.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
We need WARE worse then anyone.

Barber is 2nd most important to me......

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I think we can manage without Austin but I wish Jenkins would be able to play this week :(

Ware and Barber won't miss this game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pacman has not impressed me with his punt returns this year at all.

Ware and the Barbarian will play.

arync

Reaction score
I'm from Pittsburgh so I watch all of their games as well and I watched yesterday's game. They go into 5 WR sets alot and we need all the DB's to play because they create a lot of mismatches. However, we can get to Big Ben because the line isn't that good and he holds the ball too long. But, if Ware doesn't play that changes everything

alby

Reaction score
Stick Newman on Hines and there goes Ben's outlet.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
alby;2455121 said:

thats not true. He will throw it to anyone at anytime.

What I worry the most is them spreading us out, forcing ellis/spencer, james and keith davis into one on one matchups. That gives them the option of throwing it quickly and negating our rush or ben having the time and now throwing deep to areas of the field where it will be a man vs man situation.

Usually the ends up in a big play or a flag. Hopefully we can stop that but, if santonio holmes is out wide vs henry and everyone else is forced into coverage and those two are in a race down the sideline we are in trouble.

and I expect to see them throw deep early on henry. If we stop we are going to beat Roethlisberger's brains out, if we dont we are going to be playing from behind all day.

Dcowboy84

Reaction score
alby;2455121 said:

i would actually be more apt to put Newman on Holmes, and hope that Hines goes into the slot more often so Scandrick can be on him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DMN Blog

Thoughts on the news conference

10:35 AM Mon, Dec 01, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

Wade Phillips said the team still has to make one more roster move to get Pacman Jones to the active roster.

Phillips said Pacman Jones will play Sunday in Pittsburgh.

Does the team cut Quincy Butler?

Miles Austin (knee) is at least a week away from practicing.

DeMarcus Ware will practice with a knee brace on Wednesday, if he practices, and might use it in Sunday's game.

Marion Barber, from listening to Phillips, won't practice this week. Expect Tashard Choice and Alonzo Coleman to get plenty of reps in practice.

Montrae Holland gets another start and Phillips said he did a good job against Seattle.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry
The entry "Thoughts on the news conference" is tagged: DeMarcus Ware , Marion Barber , Pacman Jones , Wade Phillips

Categories: Adam Jones, DeMarcus Ware, Pacman Jones

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wade Phillips isn't scoreboard watching

10:31 AM Mon, Dec 01, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

Wade Phillips has mentioned several times that he doesn't bother watching the out-of-town scoreboard. He can't control what happens elsewhere, so why bother?

All Phillips knows is that if the 8-4 Cowboys continue to win, they will go from outside the playoff bubble to smack dab in the middle of it.

"It's the same every year," Phillips said. "Nine [wins] is a possibility. Ten, you feel like you can get it but there are still teams with ten that don't get in. And one year, maybe an 11-win team doesn't get in.

"Again, we control what we do. Tampa and Carolina are playing this week. Atlanta and [New Orleans] are playing. Philadelphia and [New York Giants] are playing. Somebody's got to lose. As long as we win, we're fine."

Bottom line: Go beat Pittsburgh and then you'll be in better shape.

Comments (1) Leave comment | E-mail entry
The entry "Wade Phillips isn't scoreboard watching" is tagged: Wade Phillips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pacman Jones will play in sub packages, return punts

Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Adam "Pacman" Jones will basically jump right back into the roles he played before getting booted for six games.

Wade Phillips said he expects Pacman to play in sub (nickel and dime) packages and return punts. Phillips didn't rule out Pacman returning kickoffs, too.

"He's ready to go," Phillips said. "He wants to play. He's attentive. He's at the meetings early. He's asking questions."

Defensive coordinator Brian Stewart and secondary coach Dave Campo expressed concerns about Pacman's conditioning after he spent a month in a Boston rehab. But Phillips isn't worried about what kind of shape Pacman is in, even though the Cowboys haven't put him through any kind of conditioning tests since he's returned to Valley Ranch. Phillips noted that a guy Pacman's size doesn't get out of shape easily.

Fifth-round pick Orlando Scandrick's playing time will be reduced significantly with Pacman's return. Scandrick has far exceeded expectations as a slot corner, but he struggled against the Seahawks, who threw for a season-high 287 yards on Thanksgiving.

We'd love to talk to Pacman about his return (among other things), but he's not expected to chat with the media until after he plays a game.

Comments (1) Leave comment | E-mail entry
The entry "Pacman Jones will play in sub packages, return punts" is tagged: Brian Stewart , Dave Campo , Orlando Scandrick

Categories: Pacman Jones, Wade Phillips

Injury updates: DeMarcus Ware, Marion Barber probably won't practice today

10:18 AM Mon, Dec 01, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

RB Marion Barber (dislocated right pinkie toe) and OLB DeMarcus Ware (hyperextended left knee) remain day-to-day.

"We'll see how they are," Wade Phillips said. "I don't foresee them practicing much today."

Phillips said Barber might not practice all week. He does expect to see Ware on the practice field, wearing a knee brace, at some point this week.

CB Mike Jenkins (hamstring) is doubtful for Sunday's game in Pittsburgh. WR Miles Austin (knee) is "still about a week away" from returning, according to Dr. Wade.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

FWST Blog

Pacman, Any Comment?
Apparently not. Don't expect Pacman Jones to talk to the evil media any time soon. The Cowboys have done their best to keep his mouth shut in front of cameras and recorders, so it appears that Pacman won't be chatting until after the game in Pittsburgh. At the earliest.

- Mac Engel

Posted at 10:47 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Barber, Ware updates

Here are the injury updates on stars Marion Barber and DeMarcus Ware....

Barber (dislocated right pinkie toe) may sit out of practice most of this week, but is expected to play against Pittsburgh on Sunday. X-rays and MRI results were negative on the toe. But his effectiveness for the Steelers game will be a big question mark.

Ware (hyperextended left knee) is not expected to practice Monday, but should be return later in the week.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 10:45 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2455133 said:
DMN Blog

Adam "Pacman" Jones will basically jump right back into the roles he played before getting booted for six games.

Wade Phillips said he expects Pacman to play in sub (nickel and dime) packages and return punts. Phillips didn't rule out Pacman returning kickoffs, too.

"He's ready to go," Phillips said. "He wants to play. He's attentive. He's at the meetings early. He's asking questions."

Defensive coordinator Brian Stewart and secondary coach Dave Campo expressed concerns about Pacman's conditioning after he spent a month in a Boston rehab. But Phillips isn't worried about what kind of shape Pacman is in, even though the Cowboys haven't put him through any kind of conditioning tests since he's returned to Valley Ranch. Phillips noted that a guy Pacman's size doesn't get out of shape easily.

Fifth-round pick Orlando Scandrick's playing time will be reduced significantly with Pacman's return. Scandrick has far exceeded expectations as a slot corner, but he struggled against the Seahawks, who threw for a season-high 287 yards on Thanksgiving.

We'd love to talk to Pacman about his return (among other things), but he's not expected to chat with the media until after he plays a game.
You don't want to talk to him about his return, Timmy Mac. You want to badger him about his latest screw up and get him to say something controversial. I'm definitely not a Pacman fan. I will root for him only because his success would help the Cowboys, but c'mon, at least be honest.

You want to talk to him so you can print stories that become distractions for the team.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The team needs another RB. If Coleman isn't good enough, at least get a RB from someone's practice squad.

Barber is nicked and may not be able to go. Choice is the only RB left. What could Cricket do?

Maybe Wade has something up his sleeve such as using Stanback as an emergency RB or Pacman. That would be hilarious to see Pacman as RB for a little bit. I think he could probably do it if needed.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
alby;2455121 said:

I'd rather Henry on Ward and Newman on Holmes. They have a good TE we have to watch out for....

Temo

Reaction score
alby;2455121 said:

And risk having Ward break Newman's jaw on some running play to the other side of the field? Nah.

Seriously though, I'm not sure if Newman on Ward is a good matchup. Seems like Newman would be better covering the deep threat (Holmes or Washington when they go 3 wide) and stick Henry on Ward. And hope Henry doesn't do TOO badly.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
arync;2455108 said:
I'm from Pittsburgh so I watch all of their games as well and I watched yesterday's game. They go into 5 WR sets alot and we need all the DB's to play because they create a lot of mismatches. However, we can get to Big Ben because the line isn't that good and he holds the ball too long. But, if Ware doesn't play that changes everything

Their 5 WR sets puts a lot of pressure on the OL because there are no extra blockers. The spread and run and shoot style offenses tend to get QBs hurt.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
I was hoping to have Austin and Jenkins back for the Steeler game. Oh well, maybe they can play against the Giants.

I have a feeling that Austin will make a real contribution in the final games this year. He already had some big plays early on.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
theebs;2455127 said:
thats not true. He will throw it to anyone at anytime.

What I worry the most is them spreading us out, forcing ellis/spencer, james and keith davis into one on one matchups. That gives them the option of throwing it quickly and negating our rush or ben having the time and now throwing deep to areas of the field where it will be a man vs man situation.

Usually the ends up in a big play or a flag. Hopefully we can stop that but, if santonio holmes is out wide vs henry and everyone else is forced into coverage and those two are in a race down the sideline we are in trouble.

and I expect to see them throw deep early on henry. If we stop we are going to beat Roethlisberger's brains out, if we dont we are going to be playing from behind all day.
The Steelers offense has rarely been able to dominate anyone in this fashion all season. Even yesterday when they beat NE by 23, their offense wasn't dominating. They don't run the ball particularly well, and they aren't very good at protecting the QB, who holds onto the ball too long.

Most of what they accomplish is instigated by their defense, which is the best in football.

Watching the Steelers, the biggest help for our defense will be if we don't turn over the ball, don't commit silly penalties, and don't give up big returns. I think that Parcells' hidden yards are the key to the game on Sunday, along with turnovers. Without those things, their offense isn't even average.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2455255 said:
The Steelers offense has rarely been able to dominate anyone in this fashion all season. Even yesterday when they beat NE by 23, their offense wasn't dominating. They don't run the ball particularly well, and they aren't very good at protecting the QB, who holds onto the ball too long.

Most of what they accomplish is instigated by their defense, which is the best in football.

Watching the Steelers, the biggest help for our defense will be if we don't turn over the ball, don't commit silly penalties, and don't give up big returns. I think that Parcells' hidden yards are the key to the game on Sunday, along with turnovers. Without those things, their offense isn't even average.

Bottom line is that they're winning, and have been very consistent all year. Sure, they haven't been all that beautiful, this is a very talented, albeit very tough football team.

Sure, they have their fair share of weaknesses, but they know how to make all the plays at important parts of the games each and every week. And they have alot of firey players to boot, at least from what I saw in yesterday's game.

Pt being that of all the teams on our schedule, they may not fear me the most, but they fear me a great deal.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2455103 said:
Pacman has not impressed me with his punt returns this year at all.

Ware and the Barbarian will play.

Agreed but if he can get up to the level he was once at than we have a top 5 Punt Returner on our hands.

It's worth giving him a shot over Crayton for sure.

I just hope he is still in great shape and has no problem knocking off any rust he has from his time off.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
arync;2455108 said:

Got my attn. Thanks. So are we better? Can our DBs do the job esp with Jenkins out?