Recent news could point to taking a corner at 10

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I read yesterday that the Cowboys weren't looking to release Jaylon Smith to create cap space. This suggests Jaylon is at least safe for this year and pretty much takes Parsons out of consideration at 10. They aren't going to spend a top 10 pick to have him on the bench or a part-time role.

This week we heard that both Tyron and Collins are doing well recovering from their surgeries. If they are both expected to return to the lineup, that lessons the need for drafting a ready Tackle. I think it's smart to prepare for the future, as the line has started to age, but they might think otherwise.

In my opinion, everything points to taking a corner at 10. Basically two corners under contract, new defensive backs coach handpicked by MM. Question is which corner do they like most at 10?

Sydla

Reaction score
I read yesterday that the Cowboys weren't looking to release Jaylon Smith to create cap space. This suggests Jaylon is at least safe for this year and pretty much takes Parsons out of consideration at 10. They aren't going to spend a top 10 pick to have him on the bench or a part-time role.

This week we heard that both Tyron and Collins are doing well recovering from their surgeries. If they are both expected to return to the lineup, that lessons the need for drafting a ready Tackle. I think it's smart to prepare for the future, as the line has started to age, but they might think otherwise.

In my opinion, everything points to taking a corner at 10. Basically two corners under contract, new defensive backs coach handpicked by MM. Question is which corner do they like most at 10?

If Parsons is the best player at 10 on their board, they would likely still take him. They really didn't need a WR last year but took one anyway. I have no idea where Parsons falls on their board but if they had him as a Top 3-5 prospect and he fell to 10, I suspect they'd strongly consider him and figure it out later.

cnuball21

Reaction score

I don’t think that changes much. They could ease him into it year 1 and he could still get a ton of snaps as a nickel player.

Aven8

Reaction score
That’s the problem with Stephen and company, they think we’re set at positions like LB and OT. They don’t think about upgrading since we already have players under contract.

Surtain is the most ready to play out of the gates IMO. He started for 3 years and went against some awesome WR’s. Horn and Farley might have more upside but maybe not out of the gates. Farley hasn’t played football in a year, and Horn quit in November.

I still go BPA even though we need a corner bad!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Idk

Jaylon would be a Post-June 1 release...so they could always just do that after the draft.
You draft Slater for depth/future, regardless of whether or not the tackles are healthy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

This has always been my thinking.
Any LB year 1 is going to compete with Jaylon and LVE.
I wouldn't totally rule one out at 10 but the value is more in line with R2 or R3.

But they have a nice cozy spot for a CB to make home.

Watching Dallas they tend to go with a plan for that first guy. They want to know the immediate impact.
After that they take BPA in many rounds and will draft guys with crazy talent in round 2 that need to redshirt a year.--see randy gregory, jaylon, sean lee.
But round 1 is choreographed. They do mocks and target guys.
Not they can't flip the script if say CeeDee Lamb falls to them but CeeDee had a walk in home at slot WR here.
Because of this I took offensive weapons out of my top targets list.
I also removed LB as it is a tough value for off-ball LB combined with a softer immediate need.

QB never a thought. So few pan out and you have a really good one. If you move him you do so for a replacement.
OT is on my list because there's enough flex there to get a good player on the field year 1 and they can fill a massive role pretty quickly.
I'm sure I am also effected by TB starting a rookie RT in a SB and him rating a top 5 OT in the league this past year.
Same team signed street offensive weapons in Gronk and AB.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
If Parsons is the best player at 10 on their board, they would likely still take him. They really didn't need a WR last year but took one anyway. I have no idea where Parsons falls on their board but if they had him as a Top 3-5 prospect and he fell to 10, I suspect they'd strongly consider him and figure it out later.
I agree. I don’t see parsons being out because this rumor with jaylon. Why couldn’t they plug parsons into mlb and move jaylon over ?

Carson

Reaction score
I agree. I don’t see parsons being out because this rumor with jaylon. Why couldn’t they plug parsons into mlb and move jaylon over ?

That’s what I’m thinking t as well. We have huge hole to fill for our 3rd linebacker. I still prefer a player like Cox, Browning or Werner. But it will need to be addressed

Croomraider

Reaction score
Secondary is the only group that could have an instant starter. At literally every other position the top ten pick would have to battle for the spot. Corner makes the most sense. I think the mock drafts are off and Surtain is going top 10, maybe top 5. He won't be there. So let's hope Farley was the guy will mcclay always wanted.

J-man

Reaction score

Last year Lamb was the 6th rated player on their board. They took him at 17. 11 spots is a big gap in persevered talent level considering most of the time there are only 18-22 players that even have 1st round grades on them. And WR was a need last year, not the top need , but it was a need.

I doubt they have Parsons as the 3rd best player in this draft. 5th is even a reach as CBS big board is the highest I've seen him ranked at 5, sportingnews at 7, PFN has him at 8, tankathon and drafttek have him at 10, thedraftnetwork as him at 20, Walter Football has him at 22! That's an average of 12th. I'd say that's about right as I was thinking more like 8-15 range.
I can see them having having either Farley/Suratin or maybe even both graded in the 8-15 range as well. And if that's the case the talent gap, if any, isn't nearly as great as last year's margin. Not even close actually. And factoring in the news on Jaylon Smith, even though LB is still a need, one would assume that they are at the position of much greater need. So I would doubt they take a player like Parsons over either of them. But hey, sadly I'm not Jerry Jones!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This has always been my thinking.
Any LB year 1 is going to compete with Jaylon and LVE.
I wouldn't totally rule one out at 10 but the value is more in line with R2 or R3.

But they have a nice cozy spot for a CB to make home.

Watching Dallas they tend to go with a plan for that first guy. They want to know the immediate impact.
After that they take BPA in many rounds and will draft guys with crazy talent in round 2 that need to redshirt a year.--see randy gregory, jaylon, sean lee.
But round 1 is choreographed. They do mocks and target guys.
Not they can't flip the script if say CeeDee Lamb falls to them but CeeDee had a walk in home at slot WR here.
Because of this I took offensive weapons out of my top targets list.
I also removed LB as it is a tough value for off-ball LB combined with a softer immediate need.

QB never a thought. So few pan out and you have a really good one. If you move him you do so for a replacement.
OT is on my list because there's enough flex there to get a good player on the field year 1 and they can fill a massive role pretty quickly.
I'm sure I am also effected by TB starting a rookie RT in a SB and him rating a top 5 OT in the league this past year.
Same team signed street offensive weapons in Gronk and AB.

I would be very surprised if the pick at 10 isn't a corner, unless something unexpected happens before our selection.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There was a need at WR last year cause Cobb left via fa. Not sure if Parsons will have a higher grade over the corners or even Slater. Throw in his positional value, immaturity concerns, he might be further down their board.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if the pick at 10 isn't a corner, unless something unexpected happens before our selection.
Yea a lot of scary mocks have one or both going before us. Specifically to Denver at 9 in most.
If QBs and offensive weapons fall I start to worry.
Hoping for about 7 of those combined at least and 8 would be pretty great, 9 the dream.

Creeper

Reaction score
I cannot envision a scenario where Dallas does not take Surtain or Farley if one of them is available at 10, unless they have already traded Dak away in which case they may need to take a QB is one is available. They need to improve the defense and they could lose 2 CBs to free agency. All the talk about Slater or Parsons is, to me, worst case scenario. I would rather they take Pitts over either of those guys assuming the CBs are gone.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Don't agree.

If Parsons is the pick he will see quite a bit of the field in 2021.

Can you imagine a 6-10 team who just fielded the worst defense in team history picking a defender at 10 overall and not getting him on the field?

I think he will be there, and they will pass.

There will be a better option.

I think Parsons, like Sewell and Farley, will actually be hurt a bit by the opt out and fall a bit.

I'd say Surtain goes in the 6-9 range and Farley is there at 10.

I'd put it at 70% he is the pick as of now.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Don't agree.

If Parsons is the pick he will see quite a bit of the field in 2021.

Can you imagine a 6-10 team who just fielded the worst defense in team history picking a defender at 10 overall and not getting him on the field?

I think he will be there, and they will pass.

There will be a better option.

I think Parsons, like Sewell and Farley, will actually be hurt a bit by the opt out and fall a bit.

I'd say Surtain goes in the 6-9 range and Farley is there at 10.

I'd put it at 70% he is the pick as of now.

With Jaylon still here, Parsons will most likely become the team's strong-side linebacker and will come off in the nickel. Parsons is inexperienced in coverage and needs some development in that area.

Nick Bosa pretty much took a year off from college and he became the rookie of the year in the NFL. I would be very surprised if Surtain goes in the top 8.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yea a lot of scary mocks have one or both going before us. Specifically to Denver at 9 in most.
If QBs and offensive weapons fall I start to worry.
Hoping for about 7 of those combined at least and 8 would be pretty great, 9 the dream.
Even if both the corners were gone, we still will get a good player or even a nice trade down could present itself. Corner class is very deep.

fivetwos

Reaction score
With Jaylon still here, Parsons will most likely become the team's strong-side linebacker and will come off in the nickel. Parsons is inexperienced in coverage and needs some development in that area.

Nick Bosa pretty much took a year off from college and he became the rookie of the year in the NFL. I would be very surprised if Surtain goes in the top 8.
Always surprises and I'm speculating someone in the top 9 will see him as a sure bet.

Farley has a different floor and ceiling.

Both ought to start in the league for a while.