Recent news could point to taking a corner at 10

fivetwos

Reaction score
With Jaylon still here, Parsons will most likely become the team's strong-side linebacker and will come off in the nickel. Parsons is inexperienced in coverage and needs some development in that area.

Nick Bosa pretty much took a year off from college and he became the rookie of the year in the NFL. I would be very surprised if Surtain goes in the top 8.
Wrong guy to ask about Parsons. Not a huge fan.

I also need someone who doesn't come off the field at 10.

I really think he goes in the 15-20 range.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Wrong guy to ask about Parsons. Not a huge fan.

I also need someone who doesn't come off the field at 10.

I really think he goes in the 15-20 range.

That's why corner and offensive line makes the most sense. I would love to fill corner, safety and defensive tackle in the first three rds. Use the rest of the draft to add depth at linebacker and along the OL.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Always surprises and I'm speculating someone in the top 9 will see him as a sure bet.

Farley has a different floor and ceiling.

Both ought to start in the league for a while.

I think all the top 3 corners are plug and play starters on the next level. Nobody is talking about Horn, but he could also be in the conversation. Not my favorite, but some love him.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i think your trackin' right.
if they really like christian barmore,dt-bama or michigan de kwity paye...they could be in the mix.
but i think like many...its surtain or farley.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This has always been my thinking.
Any LB year 1 is going to compete with Jaylon and LVE.
I wouldn't totally rule one out at 10 but the value is more in line with R2 or R3.

But they have a nice cozy spot for a CB to make home.

Watching Dallas they tend to go with a plan for that first guy. They want to know the immediate impact.
After that they take BPA in many rounds and will draft guys with crazy talent in round 2 that need to redshirt a year.--see randy gregory, jaylon, sean lee.
But round 1 is choreographed. They do mocks and target guys.
Not they can't flip the script if say CeeDee Lamb falls to them but CeeDee had a walk in home at slot WR here.
Because of this I took offensive weapons out of my top targets list.
I also removed LB as it is a tough value for off-ball LB combined with a softer immediate need.

QB never a thought. So few pan out and you have a really good one. If you move him you do so for a replacement.
OT is on my list because there's enough flex there to get a good player on the field year 1 and they can fill a massive role pretty quickly.
I'm sure I am also effected by TB starting a rookie RT in a SB and him rating a top 5 OT in the league this past year.
Same team signed street offensive weapons in Gronk and AB.
This is pretty much how I see it as well.

I’d put it at a pretty high percentage that CB is Dallas’ first round pick.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Idk

Jaylon would be a Post-June 1 release...so they could always just do that after the draft.
You draft Slater for depth/future, regardless of whether or not the tackles are healthy.
If a talent like Slater is still there and he could be, you make that pick and be happy about it.
Slater handled Chase Young, the tape can not be denied.
Slater can instantly play every position on the OL,, you cant pass on that talent.
May not be the sexy pick, but a smart FO makes this move,,, yes I used the word smart with this FO, sure to get blasted I know.
If Slater is still there when we draft and pass, then I will eat this post.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Front Office usually targets plug and play impact starters in the 1st rd. I don't see the team using a top 10 pick on a part-time player.

I don’t think you can pick just based off year first year snaps.

At 10 I want top talent. Even if we don’t release / trade Smith I think he’d get on the field a lot in year 1 and fully takeover year 2.

You could make the same argument for taking an OT prospect at 10. If Smith and Collins are healthy then the rook likely isn’t playing a lot in year 1.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If Parsons is the best player at 10 on their board, they would likely still take him. They really didn't need a WR last year but took one anyway. I have no idea where Parsons falls on their board but if they had him as a Top 3-5 prospect and he fell to 10, I suspect they'd strongly consider him and figure it out later.
Yeah

I assume he's saying if Parsons is in the same tier as the corners--which I suspect he might be--then they might now go corner. Parsons is ranked all over the map, so hard to say. I've seen him even in the 18-25 range....or the top 6 range

Lamb was all alone in his own remaining tier last year.
He may've even been two tiers above the next player.
The gap was so large that they had to either take him or trade down.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t think you can pick just based off year first year snaps.

At 10 I want top talent. Even if we don’t release / trade Smith I think he’d get on the field a lot in year 1 and fully takeover year 2.

You could make the same argument for taking an OT prospect at 10. If Smith and Collins are healthy then the rook likely isn’t playing a lot in year 1.
I don't disagree, the pick should be more about the entire contract, not year 1. Just saying what this front office likes to do, especially with a top 10 pick. There is little chance they draft someone and give him a redshirt season. If Slater/Darrishaw were drafted, they would get them into the starting lineup day 1 and shift around the personnel to do so.

75boyz

Reaction score
If a talent like Slater is still there and he could be, you make that pick and be happy about it.
Slater handled Chase Young, the tape can not be denied.
Slater can instantly play every position on the OL,, you cant pass on that talent.
May not be the sexy pick, but a smart FO makes this move,,, yes I used the word smart with this FO, sure to get blasted I know.
If Slater is still there when we draft and pass, then I will eat this post.

Haven't followed him quite as closely as what you have here but I also fully support OT as the choice and would be thrilled if Slater is a plug n' play beast from day one.

Nice post.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Despite what others have posted regarding slater as depth/future... thats nonsense... we draft slater and he is a day one starter.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking t as well. We have huge hole to fill for our 3rd linebacker. I still prefer a player like Cox, Browning or Werner. But it will need to be addressed
Exactly. If it’s not parsons then any of them can make a huge impact at the third.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't disagree, the pick should be more about the entire contract, not year 1. Just saying what this front office likes to do, especially with a top 10 pick. There is little chance they draft someone and give him a redshirt season. If Slater/Darrishaw were drafted, they would get them into the starting lineup day 1 and shift around the personnel to do so.

Thats fair, I just think Parsons will still be high on the radar.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The situation with Awuzie and Lewis is unknown so I do think it is likely to be whichever CB is there at 10 and they're hoping one of them is there.

I think the likelihood is good since there should be at least 4 QB's off, 2 OT's and 2 WR's off the board unless a team in need moves up to take Farley or Surtain.

Honestly, I don't care as long as it's defense because they need help on all 3 units.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The situation with Awuzie and Lewis is unknown so I do think it is likely to be whichever CB is there at 10 and they're hoping one of them is there.

I think the likelihood is good since there should be at least 4 QB's off, 2 OT's and 2 WR's off the board unless a team in need moves up to take Farley or Surtain.

Honestly, I don't care as long as it's defense because they need help on all 3 units.

Good options in FA at CB as well.

If the price is right I wouldn’t mind signing Chido or someone similar to free us up in the draft.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Good options in FA at CB as well.

If the price is right I wouldn’t mind signing Chido or someone similar to free us up in the draft.
I could see Quinn going with veteran DBs to pair with Wilson n Diggs to stabilize the backend. #37 n #27 haven't had accomplished veterans to learn from since being in Dallas.

I really think a veteran FS should be of high consideration by the team, so everyone can be lined up and aware of their responsibilities. Example: a cheap option like Gipson (31).

Edit: on topic, a trade back seems ideal now to me, but if they have to stand in and pick...I think a CB will be the selection, but I'd love a game wreaker in the front 7 at #10.