Recent possible draft busts

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
dude way too soon to judge one person on that list...busts are if they never make something of themselves not what they do their first 1,5 seasons jeez Louise..

just because a players doesnt become a front line starter doesnt mean they are bust if they become a backup..sorry man you are off base..
2nd rounders better become starters, or your drafting sucks.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I guess JJ on his Yacht in 2020 wasnt as successful as he wants us all to believe.
How is this JJ's fault?????????????? All I heard the last 2yrs is EX- PRO BOWLERS on TV telling me how great the Cowboys are and they should be in the Super Bowl. But that hasn't been the case, week in and week out all I've watched s a bunch of under achievers faking it while they're banking it!

kskboys

Reaction score
i think the fact we have missed so much with defensive lineman that it is starting to feel more like a coaching thing.
You aren't aware that personnel is the GM's job? Wow. You really young, maybe?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
How is this JJ's fault?????????????? All I heard the last 2yrs is EX- PRO BOWLERS on TV telling me how great the Cowboys are and they should be in the Super Bowl. But that hasn't been the case, week in and week out all I've watched s a bunch of under achievers faking it while they're banking it!

Do you think the 2020 draft was great ?
And do you think the way JJ sold it on his Yacht was ok ?!

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
no more crazy than what you suggested.
Good one.

Well if fans said it and the team said it, it must be true.

Remember when they said HaHa Clinton-Dix was a good signing?

Then they said Darian Thompson was a competent starter?

I believe they also said this team is a Super Bowl contender. They've said that a few times the last quarter century. How many times has that been true?

Trysten Hill is bad, you keep holding out and hoping he isn't, you're only delaying the inevitable.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Comments about the 2019 and 2020 drafts bust..

The 2019, draft Conner McGovern. He was rated by our esteemed draft leadership as having a high 2 rnd grade.. Wow, now I know he was injured, but that was known at draft time, so we are 18 months post injury and I am hearing our worst OL, Connor Williams is projected now to be the back up center? He was supposed to challenge Connor Williams or at the very least be back-up at center. He still cannot get on the field.. And to think, we graded him HIGH 2nd rounder.

The 2020 has two draft picks that have me perplexed. 3rd pick Neville Galimor. He has not even suited up for the last two games! This is in spite of loosing Gerald McCoy, in training camp, therefore down an interior lineman. Now I know that Tristen Hill has stepped up a bit, but Galimor has not even made the rotation. The second issue is Reggie Robinson. He was a heralded 4th round pick. We have have off the street FA, and they have made the team and dressed but the 4th rookie cannot even make special teams? Now both our early in their careers, with no training camp etc.. but still how difficult is it just to make special teams? Wow..

The draft is the life blood of a team. I am no longer confident of our abilities... Comments please or add if you have heard any updates on the players I have mentioned.

:hammer:Have no clue why Mcgovern can't get on the field....but the Steele kid can. And we have seen what we have in Steele. Makes no sense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
2nd rounders better become starters, or your drafting sucks.

there is no better ok, drafts can be all over the place hitting on UDFA and busts in the first rounds..if everyone had the blueprint for perfect drafts the NFL would all be 16-0 ok BUD! its an in exact science period.. my point us the term Bust are fan deal especially expecting players as rookies and 2nd year players to be frontline starters...

poor expectations =poor results

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
there is no better ok, drafts can be all over the place hitting on UDFA and busts in the first rounds..if everyone had the blueprint for perfect drafts the NFL would all be 16-0 ok BUD! its an in exact science period.. my point us the term Bust are fan deal especially expecting players as rookies and 2nd year players to be frontline starters...

poor expectations =poor results
Agreed; It's fat from a perfect science, and even the best teams miss sometimes. However, the expectation should be that you find starters in the first 2 rounds. When one of these don't become starters, or are forced on the field only by circumstance and perform badly, then i think it's fair to call them busts. Hill is in the middle of his 2nd season now, and continues to show nothing. If there was going to be a marked jump for him, it would have occurred this season. It hasn't; he's just as bad as he was in his limited snaps last year.

Creeper

Reaction score
There are draft busts and then there are draft busts. To me a mega-bust is someone like David LaFleur, a first round powderpuff with stone hands and he seems to have trouble not tripping over the yard lines.

Then there are the run of the mill busts, like Morris Claiborne. Traded up for him and he turned out to be an average bag of medical issues. Still, At least he played like a 3rd or 4th round CB.

Taco was a bust of a different nature. He was not a great DE, but he was not horrible either. He was a later 1st round pick but many never thought he would be a great player. He is a bust because of where the Cowboys drafted him, but not an unexpected bust. Still, is is playing in the league and he has more sacks than DLaw. I'd call him a mini-bust.

Since 1998 the Cowboys have had 20 first round draft picks. Of the 20, 13 have made it to the Pro-Bowl. The 7 who didn't are Ebenezer Ekuban, Marcus Spears, Bobby Carpenter, Felix Jones, Morris Claiborne, Taco Charlton and CeeDee Lamb. Only Carpenter washed out of the league quickly. And CeeDee obviously has not had a chance to make a pro-bowl yet. Overall, the Cowboys have not done badly with their first round picks the last 20 years. Since 2013 only Taco has failed to perform like a 1st round pick.

nathanlt

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Poe, that's for sure. The Cowboys should have cut Poe, he forfeits every game prior to kickoff. Until everyone on the team takes a stand and shows some honor to heroes, this season is over. It is not too much to insist players honor those who serve our nation before making 8 million over 2 years, right??

My grandfather lost 95% of his company in 1945, all heroes to the nation, from all backgrounds and walks of life. Will you be silent ? Not me. Dallas Cowboy fan for 41 years straight, making a very small sacrifice to stand up for them! I served 20 years myself, and I'm telling you, those heroes need to be honored. No excuses. Players who show disrespect basically spit on the graves of those who sacrificed their lives to preserve all the opportunity we have.

By blocking posts that defend our nations heroes, Cowboyszone is complicit in dishonoring those honorable men and women of all races and backgrounds. Good people of Cowboyszone, will you be silent? Or will you speak up and honor those who deserve it? Cowboyszone needs to promote honoring sacrificial heroes. As I've said, I'll trade my 41 years as a Cowboys fan to defend honorable people, in the face of such blatant disrespect.

DFWJC

Reaction score
2018 is a mixed bag. Our first two picks look like whiffs: LVE had an absolutely monstrous rookie year that arguably justified a 1st round pick for that one season alone, but that's looking like all we'll get from him. C-Will is a below average NFL starter, and I've given up hope on improvement. But the later picks look really good. Gallup's a 1,000 yard receiver, Schultz is starting to look like a player, and Ced just might be one too.

If you look at the NFL's past track record, getting 2 good starters usually ends up being a better than average draft class. If Schultz and Gallup end up being those two starters, I'll chalk up 2018 as a W. Even if Schultz comes back down to earth and we end up with 1 good starter and 2 mediocre starters (CWill + Schultz), that's still actually a decent return.

2019 is looking like a writeoff. Hill's looking like an average gap shooter who makes 1-2 big plays a week and stays pretty anonymous otherwise. He does still have room for growth, and Nolan's defense is misplaying him IMO, but right now he looks like a worse version of Maliek Collins. McGovern can't even crack a gutted OL lineup. Pollard has some elite juice but just chronically makes mistakes. I don't think we'll end up with a single starter from the 2019 class unless we force Hill into a bigger role than he's ready for, and we didn't even really get that great of depth either.

2020 is way too early to say, but CeeDee is playing like a 5 year pro already, Diggs' speed is really starting to scare me, and it's concerning that Gallimore isn't playing even on a very bad DT roster. Crawford and Poe are playing at a street free agent level if not worse, and he can't take snaps away from them?
To be fair, the 1st round pick in 2019 was used on Amari Cooper.

But in Rd2, I think many of us wanted them to take Saftey Juan Thornhill or maybe Taylor Rapp.. Tristen Hill was a surprise.

Certainly by Rd3, with Safety Chauncey Gardner-Johnson still available, many of us thought he'd be the pick.
But nope

Last edited:

kumizi

Reaction score
Way too early on any of this and for any players.

Everyone screaming Hill was a bust last year without even much playing time. Based on a few preseason game snaps as well. Typical of all the couch / basement GM's we have on here.
He is playing decent this season.

I will wait before I pass judgement.
He is the worst rated defensive tackle in the entire NFL lol but go ahead and pat yourself on the back.

And it's not about passing waiting on passing judgement. Guys off the street shouldnt be beating out 3rd and 4th rounders.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
There are draft busts and then there are draft busts. To me a mega-bust is someone like David LaFleur, a first round powderpuff with stone hands and he seems to have trouble not tripping over the yard lines.

Then there are the run of the mill busts, like Morris Claiborne. Traded up for him and he turned out to be an average bag of medical issues. Still, At least he played like a 3rd or 4th round CB.

Taco was a bust of a different nature. He was not a great DE, but he was not horrible either. He was a later 1st round pick but many never thought he would be a great player. He is a bust because of where the Cowboys drafted him, but not an unexpected bust. Still, is is playing in the league and he has more sacks than DLaw. I'd call him a mini-bust.

Since 1998 the Cowboys have had 20 first round draft picks. Of the 20, 13 have made it to the Pro-Bowl. The 7 who didn't are Ebenezer Ekuban, Marcus Spears, Bobby Carpenter, Felix Jones, Morris Claiborne, Taco Charlton and CeeDee Lamb. Only Carpenter washed out of the league quickly. And CeeDee obviously has not had a chance to make a pro-bowl yet. Overall, the Cowboys have not done badly with their first round picks the last 20 years. Since 2013 only Taco has failed to perform like a 1st round pick.
Now, analyze their 2nd round picks.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Agreed; It's fat from a perfect science, and even the best teams miss sometimes. However, the expectation should be that you find starters in the first 2 rounds. When one of these don't become starters, or are forced on the field only by circumstance and perform badly, then i think it's fair to call them busts. Hill is in the middle of his 2nd season now, and continues to show nothing. If there was going to be a marked jump for him, it would have occurred this season. It hasn't; he's just as bad as he was in his limited snaps last year.
disagree they are not busts because you say so far too early

CWR

Reaction score
Comments about the 2019 and 2020 drafts bust..

The 2019, draft Conner McGovern. He was rated by our esteemed draft leadership as having a high 2 rnd grade.. Wow, now I know he was injured, but that was known at draft time, so we are 18 months post injury and I am hearing our worst OL, Connor Williams is projected now to be the back up center? He was supposed to challenge Connor Williams or at the very least be back-up at center. He still cannot get on the field.. And to think, we graded him HIGH 2nd rounder.

The 2020 has two draft picks that have me perplexed. 3rd pick Neville Galimor. He has not even suited up for the last two games! This is in spite of loosing Gerald McCoy, in training camp, therefore down an interior lineman. Now I know that Tristen Hill has stepped up a bit, but Galimor has not even made the rotation. The second issue is Reggie Robinson. He was a heralded 4th round pick. We have have off the street FA, and they have made the team and dressed but the 4th rookie cannot even make special teams? Now both our early in their careers, with no training camp etc.. but still how difficult is it just to make special teams? Wow..

The draft is the life blood of a team. I am no longer confident of our abilities... Comments please or add if you have heard any updates on the players I have mentioned.

I guess we'll get to see McGovern tomorrow. Remember we were calling Tristan Hill a bust as well. Dlaw was a bust (some say still is). Sometimes it takes awhile and sometimes we miss. I wish we drafted DLine as well as OLine.