Red Bryant loves the Cowboys!

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
http://www.dcfanatic.typepad.com//dcfanatics_blog/2008/04/exclusive-inter.html

Exclusive Interview - Draft Prospect Red Bryant

When you start looking into the top DT/NT prospects for the 2008 NFL Draft you will find out that Red Bryant from Texas A & M was one of the best at stuffing the run in 2007.

But the former Aggie team captain is also ready to go to work on becoming a pass rushing force at the next level as well.

Here's the interview I did with Red..

Red Bryant Interview

He was already on the list of players I thought the Cowboys should be looking into when the draft rolled around. Now after hearing him speak about his love for the game, his work ethic and the love he had for the Cowboys while growing up in Texas he is now on my 'must have' list for the draft.

Here's a quick look at Red doing what he does best..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY1D5bV0b-o

If you can honestly listen to this interview and watch that video and tell me you're not a fan of everything that Red Bryant is as a young man entering the NFL then you're nuts.

Like I said in the interview, Joseph 'Red' Bryant is every football coaches dream!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
"I love to knock the hell out of somebody."

Let's play.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Rampage;2029260 said:
what round is he predicted to go in?

Late second to third is what ive seen.

I wouldnt hate him at 61. Hed push Spears out of the starting lineup by the end of the year with Rat moving over.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I like him but he is not who I want. Okam has the most talent out of this class. It is work ethic that is the only issue. Okam has the most potential to be good at the next level.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2029262 said:
Late second to third is what ive seen.

I wouldnt hate him at 61. Hed push Spears out of the starting lineup by the end of the year with Rat moving over.
i'd be cool with that if we stayed put at #22 and #28. but i doubt that happens.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2029279 said:
I like him but he is not who I want. Okam has the most talent out of this class. It is work ethic that is the only issue. Okam has the most potential to be good at the next level.

True but at almost 350 and that work ethic he is just as likely to eat himself to 400 lbs and be a conditioning nightmare as he is to succeed. Bryant has the potential to be good to great too but Okam would be a Jamal Williams type if he doesnt eat his way out of the league.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score

Bryant is favorably compared to Casey Hampton, arguably the best NT in the league

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2029302 said:
Bryant is favorably compared to Casey Hampton, arguably the best NT in the league
This is true. Okam does not get those comparisons cause of his work ethic. Okam looks alot like some of those other UT DT's. Hampton being one of them.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Drew Boylhart of TheHuddleReport compared Bryant to Jamal Williams. Here was his review of Bryant:

If you want to build a Super Bowl defense, then you have to draft a player like Red Bryant. For example, Jammal Williams has been the key cog in the defense of the Chargers for the last few years. This year, Jammal has been injured and the Chargers’ defense has suffered tremendously. Since Jammal has come off the injury, the Charger defense has come back to life. It is no coincidence. Jammal is a two down and out D-lineman that has the ability to affect third downs by getting the other team into third and long situations all game long. This allows the Chargers to pass rush on third down without the worry of a running play. Red has the potential to have this same effect and it will not matter if you run a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense. Red will take up two Offensive Lineman in any type of defense. This allows a defensive coordinator to run all types of different run blitz and pass blitz schemes. You can get an NFL QB to make more bad decisions that lead to interceptions (and that means turnovers), if you can push the pocket. A sack is not a turnover! Frustrating an offense all game long by taking the run away and pushing the pocket on passing downs is a sure way to win a game. I have seen many D-Linemen with multiple sacks in a game be on the losing side at the end of the game; however, it is rare to see a defense that has stopped the run be on the losing side. If you stop the other team from running and push the pocket, it is a sure bet that you will get multiple interceptions and be on the winning side. Red understands his own talents and knows exactly what is going to be required of him from the team that drafts him. He understands that he will not get credit from the fans for doing his job and will not be interviewed by the press after a win. But he also knows that he will be one of the big reasons for the win. Red (The Clog) Bryant -- that’s one clog I don’t mind having.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I like Bryant alot....picking him in the second round would be a coup for the Boys in my opinion.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2029302 said:

I've seen that, but he doesn't remind me of Hampton at all. Hampton is a stumpy fireplug... Bryant is a taller, more linear guy (even at 318 lbs).

If Bryant lived in the weight room and ate about five steaks a day, he might could get up to Jamal Williams' size.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2029370 said:
I like Bryant alot....picking him in the second round would be a coup for the Boys in my opinion.
I have him going to us in the 3rd. I really like him too but wouldn't take him in the 2nd right now.....

glassjaw

Reaction score
I like Bryant a lot too. 3rd would be fine and 4th would be a steal. A&M D-line guys tend to come in and do well. Maybe never perennial pro bowlers but nice solid players. They also for whatever reason have always done well in 3-4 Defenses. Ray Childress, Sam Adams, Brandon Mitchell, Ron Edwards, Pat Williams and Ty Warren all have played in 3-4s at some point and done well. I would love Bryant on the Cowboys.

Okam is like most Texas D-lineman abundance of talent but never quite live up to it. All the back to Kenneth Sims up to Shaun Rogers. I know many have done well or at least been pretty good players...Steve McMichael. Shane Dronett, Tony Brackens, but even these guys seem like they should have been just monsters and they weren't in the NFL. Good players, but not great. A&M seems to turn of D-linemen more consistently that Texas. I do not hate TExas or anything but history seems to suggest it.

Give me Bryant. I'll pass on Okam.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'd rather have Okam in the 4th or 5th than Bryant in the 2nd, but I also wouldn't mind trading up in rd 3 for Bryant

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score

Okam is not well-suited to play NT, he's more of a 4-3 DE, IMO...