Refs weren’t the Reason we lost that game?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
@Captain43Crash needs a hug. Will someone please stop him/her from crying?

Again, for the hundredth time, we know the tripping calls were BS. We also know the Cowboys screwed up, leading to their own demise. AND, we also know BOTH can be true.

So for the love of all things holy - STOP CRYING. The game is over. There's another game tomorrow. :rolleyes:
First of all I’m not crying. I’m bringing up the obvious which you seem to understand.
I’m just a little annoyed because some fans here don’t have the compression to understand more than 1 thing can effect your chances of winning a game. For example terrible coaching and phantom calls by refs effected our chances of winning vs NE.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I do get it. But your blaming 1 cherry picked play out of dozens of other plays and chances that they failed to make. There are missed calls or bad call on every play, 100% of the time. That's part of the game. Even the blocked punt wasn't the single reason we lost. They still had to score and we let them. Had we held them to a FG it would atleast gone to OT.
The NFL admitted the refs called 2 phantom penalties on us which cost us 1st downs. The refs did not admit to calling any phantom penalties on NE! It easily could have made a difference in this particular game.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The NFL admitted the refs called 2 phantom penalties on us which cost us 1st downs. The refs did not admit to calling any phantom penalties on NE! It easily could have made a difference in this particular game.
I’m not being a smart***. I’m asking you your honest opinion. Why can’t some people see these plays had an impact on the loss? Denial— The true sense of it? Or is this some challenge to authority(refs/NFL institution) that they’re not comfortable with? I really want to understand that psyche.

All we’re saying is that in a four point game two penalties, that resulted in essentially turnovers, (3rd and long conversions are rare) had an impact on whether the cowboys won or lost?

Im not sure how that is controversial.

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I do get it. But your blaming 1 cherry picked play out of dozens of other plays and chances that they failed to make. There are missed calls or bad call on every play, 100% of the time. That's part of the game. Even the blocked punt wasn't the single reason we lost. They still had to score and we let them. Had we held them to a FG it would atleast gone to OT.
Can you point to a single time in this entire thread that anyone said that it was the single reason we lost?

It seems over and over we’ve tried to explain that it is part of the reason we lost. And since it was another rare penalty which seem similar to calls we’ve fallen victim to before it is interesting to some to discuss.

Bad calls are part of the game, but do you find it interesting that these unique calls happen to one team several times and no other team?

Coincidences can be interesting imo.

The “cherry picked play” as you said was actually two plays that resulted in Dallas essentially losing possession.

These particular cherry picked plays have been called 7 times in 180 games. Two on the Cowboys in one game. You can do the math, but I assure you, they're unusual.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
the refs should never make those calls unless its so blatantly bad.
I can see making a call if the tripping actually happened. If our guy was on the ground and lifted his leg slightly. That did not happen. My thought is one of the NE coaches talked to the Ref, that makes that called prior to the game, and mentioned Dallas tripping consistently. Regardless they both were extremely bad calls that easily could have effected the outcome of the game.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Can you point to a single time in this entire thread that anyone said that it was the single reason we lost?

It seems over and over we’ve tried to explain that it is part of the reason we lost. And since it was another rare penalty which seem similar to calls we’ve fallen victim to before it is interesting to some to discuss.

Bad calls are part of the game, but do you find it interesting that these unique calls happen to one team several times and no other team?

Coincidences can be interesting imo.

The “cherry picked play” as you said was actually two plays that resulted in Dallas essentially losing possession.

These particular cherry picked plays have been called 7 times in 180 games. Two on the Cowboys in one game. You can do the math, but I assure you, they're unusual.
You stated the situation very well, but a few people will still disagree with you. There is little logic behind their opinion, but they will still disagree all day long.
This is similar to when Garrett getting fired, or not resigned, is discussed. Even though 95% of the fans on this site can easily see Garrett is not a Superbowl caliber coach. He makes WAY to many coaching blunders to beat playoff caliber teams. Still around 5% of fans will strongly support Garrett. Why?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I saw a video about the patriot game. Prescott had just completed a pass and was hit long after throwing and there was a roughing flag that put the ball at the patriots 15. On 1st down it's clearly visible by both the lines that the networks put on the screen and by the 1st down sticks that the 5 was the 1st down line. On 1st down the Cowboys pick up 4 yards. While the Cowboys were lining up for 2nd down you can see the person that holds the stick pick up the red marker that lies on the ground and move it to the 4 yard line making it then than the Cowboys would have to get 11 yards instead of 10 yards to get a 1st down. On 3rd down the lines the networks use was then a line at the 4 yard line. Now this makes me wonder just how many other things the refs did to help the patriots, other than bogus tripping calls, that weren't caught on video.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I’m not being a smart***. I’m asking you your honest opinion. Why can’t some people see these plays had an impact on the loss? Denial— The true sense of it? Or is this some challenge to authority(refs/NFL institution) that they’re not comfortable with? I really want to understand that psyche.

All we’re saying is that in a four point game two penalties, that resulted in essentially turnovers, (3rd and long conversions are rare) had an impact on whether the cowboys won or lost?

Im not sure how that is controversial.
It is not controversial at all! We have logic and reason on our side. We are not being emotional, or crying, or making excuses. Anyone with reasoning ability should be able to understand 2 phantom tripping penalties, that took away 1st downs, and put us in 3rd and very long situations in a driving rain storm vs NE’s defense EASILY effected our CHANCES to win that game!, especially when there were no similar phantom calls against NE and we only lost by 4 points.

I am 100% positive if an analytics expert analyzed these 2 phantom penalties, and how they possibly effected the outcome, they would reason Dallas would have had a MUCH higher win percentage, than if those penalties were not called!

Also, most of us saying this, also realize Jason Garett and his Special Teams coach were atrocious in this game. Garrett’s inept coaching DEFINITELY also effected our chances of winning this game. Garrett should have been fired the year Romo got hurt and we went 5-11. Garrett helps us lose plenty of games, including this one!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
What a stupid comment to make! The refs darn sure might have been the reason we lost that game!!! We will never know for sure. If they don’t call the phantom tripping penalty we just might go down and score the game winning TD.
1 penalty in the later stages of a game can definitely change the outcome of a game.
exactly. In games that are very often decided on a SINGLE POSESSION, how can you discount a drive ending penalty? I hate when everyone says you had the entire game to get it done and you didnt.....uhmm, so isnt the last 3 minutes of the game, part of the game also? In that weather, that penalty essentially ended that drive and thus ending the game for us.
I think JG decision to kick the FG sucked, but it doesnt change the MASSIVE impact that officials have on a decent percentage of NFL gaes.

I guess you could say they didnt decide the Rams Saints game last year either. I mean, the saint had the entire game to get it done, and they didnt .