Regarding the team's "Attitude"

braw

Reaction score
Rack;2316060 said:
You're missing the point.

I have no problem with the team playing down to their opponent at times, cuz that's just football. IT's gonna happen.

My problem is the way the players react to the media and fans expectations.

Go ahead and go out there and win ugly, but don't say crap like "The expectations in dallas are too high" or if you're the coach don't tell a media member "you stink" just cuz he pointed out the fact (for once) that the team stunk.

I'm talking about the team's ATTITUDE, not their play on the field, per se.

Look you are basing your conclusion on past perceptions because you as a fan did not have access to the info(of the team) in the past; like you do now.

Because getting all the 90's info of the team in 2000 does not allow you to judge instantly like you do now.Which blogs, message boards, and sensationlist media types( McMahon of DMN) were around then like now. Well if you think Troy had it tuff then imagine with this media coverage.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
braw;2316272 said:
Look you are basing your conclusion on past perceptions because you as a fan did not have access to the info(of the team) in the past; like you do now.

Because getting all the 90's info of the team in 2000 does not allow you to judge instantly like you do now.Which blogs, message boards, and sensationlist media types( McMahon of DMN) were around then like now. Well if you think Troy had it tuff then imagine with this media coverage.

Wow. Just... wow.

I certainly hope the players aren't as cowardly and over sensitive as you are.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I agree with alot of the content you posted. The term for stuff like that is being mentally weak or at least that is what the military calls it. However, I do cut TO some slack for crying on the sideline as I think it had more to do with a family member dying than him getting hazed by the media. If a family member died in my family, I would ask for a few days off. TO had to play a game with his head not on straight.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
neosapien23;2317769 said:
I agree with alot of the content you posted. The term for stuff like that is being mentally weak or at least that is what the military calls it. However, I do cut TO some slack for crying on the sideline as I think it had more to do with a family member dying than him getting hazed by the media. If a family member died in my family, I would ask for a few days off. TO had to play a game with his head not on straight.

Yeah I was wrong about TO. Didn't know about his family member dying.

About the mentally weak thing, agreed 100%. That's why I was always in favor of Parcells staying on as the coach. His style of coaching may not get you to 13-3 (not for awhile anyway) but his team would definitely not be mentally weak. His brand of coaching better prepares teams for the playoffs (we lost two games with him cuz the first year we weren't 'really' that good and this second game Romo fumbled the snap).

I really don't think Wade's style of coaching works well with a mentally weak team. Hopefully enough of Parcells (in that regard) is still with them. And hopefully they use the media to create a "Us against them" type of attitude (which is a good substitute for being mentally strong) and wins it all.

We'll see.

braw

Reaction score
Rack;2317755 said:
Wow. Just... wow.

I certainly hope the players aren't as cowardly and over sensitive as you are.

I was responding to the bold print on your post. Again I will tell you just facts not opinion. You have a problem with the way they react to the media. And I said that the perception( from the information we as fans had of the team) of the 90's Cowboys was different than today.

The reason I say that was the TV shows about football in the 90's CBS and FOX (NFC) had 1 hr shows on Sunday, NBC had 1 hr show on Sunday before the games. ESPN had a 1 hr show then a 2 hr show before the games on sunday. Also TNT and ESPN had Sunday night games that had 30 to 15 min pregame show. ABC had Monday night but it did not have pregame show ESPN had Countdown.

Thats about 5 maybe 6 hours of pregame and ESPN had Primetime for after the games 1 hr.

Now NFL has its own channel 2 hr pregame on Sunday, FOX 1 hr, CBS 1 hr, ESPN 2 hr, NBC 1.15 hr. Monday ESPN has 2.5 pregame.Now after the game FOX has .30 OT, NBC .30 and 1.30 NFL network and 1 hr ESPN

So we went from 7 hrs to almost 14 hrs of coverage and added several teams in the 90's and only 1 team in 2000.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
braw;2317840 said:
I was responding to the bold print on your post. Again I will tell you just facts not opinion. You have a problem with the way they react to the media. And I said that the perception( from the information we as fans had of the team) of the 90's Cowboys was different than today.

The reason I say that was the TV shows about football in the 90's CBS and FOX (NFC) had 1 hr shows on Sunday, NBC had 1 hr show on Sunday before the games. ESPN had a 1 hr show then a 2 hr show before the games on sunday. Also TNT and ESPN had Sunday night games that had 30 to 15 min pregame show. ABC had Monday night but it did not have pregame show ESPN had Countdown.

Thats about 5 maybe 6 hours of pregame and ESPN had Primetime for after the games 1 hr.

Now NFL has its own channel 2 hr pregame on Sunday, FOX 1 hr, CBS 1 hr, ESPN 2 hr, NBC 1.15 hr. Monday ESPN has 2.5 pregame.Now after the game FOX has .30 OT, NBC .30 and 1.30 NFL network and 1 hr ESPN

So we went from 7 hrs to almost 14 hrs of coverage and added several teams in the 90's and only 1 team in 2000.
You're right. These days there's such a microscope on the players and coach 24/7, you can always find something to complain about if that's what you want to do. Fifteen years ago, we'd have read a few articles in the paper each week, but the main focus would have been on this team's record, not the way they reacted to the 25th blog entry of the day.

And Rack, that 2004 team that laid down almost the entire second half of the season sure was mentally tough.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
braw;2317840 said:

No, you gave your opinion based on some facts. Period.

Either way, if the players can't handle it, they won't succeed.

Crying to the media about "you're expectations are too high" is the sign of a mentally weak player.

Spin it however you want.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
good rant.

we are so mentally weak as a team it's sad. :(

Rack;2313340 said:
As most of us know, it takes a special breed of athlete to succeed in Dallas.

Whether they like it or not, it's not "JUST" about wins and losses. It's about championships. And fans know that a negative trend that isn't "fixed" is not the way to win a championship. So us fans WILL point out when something isn't going right (win or lose) cuz we have experienced our team winning championships for many years.

So it's especially important for athletes who play for the cowboys to be able to either ignore the criticisms and concentrate on what they need to do, or deal with the scrutiny directly (like Aikman used to do).

And that goes for the coaches as well.

Tony Romo, Wade Phillips, Terrel Owens, and Brady James, you FAILED yesterday in how you handled questions regarding your SORRY play vs the Bengals.

"I'm pretty sure we won the game". Yes, you did, Romo. I'm pretty sure you've gone half a season's worth of freakin' games turning the ball over. You want to continue to do that and win games? Go for it. But you won't win in the playoffs with that type of play, nor with that type of attitude towards that type of play. Maybe you should have listened closely when Troy Aikman told you how hard it is to play QB for the Dallas Cowboys cuz the fact of the matter is our standards ARE higher for our team then all other fans' standards for their teams. We EXPECT championships here, we don't "hope" for them.

If you don't like it and can't deal with it directly or by ignoring it, then ask to be traded.

Wade Phillips, same thing as above. If you can't handle our standards, step down now. I sure as hell don't want a coach that isn't man enough to get after his team when it is needed. Not to mention you were brought here to make our defense ELITE, and you have failed MISERABLY in that area so far.

Quit your job now if you can't handle our standards.

Brady James, not only do you SUCK as a football player, but you obviously can't handle the standards and scrutiny of cowboys fans (and media). I want you gone anyway, but the fact that you can't deal with our standards makes me hate you that much more. You're sorry butt couldn't cover Larry Allen if he lined up as a FB and ran out in the flat. You're THAT sorry.

TO, time to start acting your age. Yes, I want a WR that WANTS the ball. That's a good thing. No complaints from me on that matter. But crying after you score a TD, as if you went through some incredible hardship and overcame it? Please. Instead of crying on the sideline, how about you work on getting off the jam so teams can't take you out of the game plan so easily?

You guys can win games going about it the way you are now, but you'll never win a championship with that attitude. And for cowboys fans, that's what matters. I sure as hell won't be talking about the Wade Phillips/Tony Romo era 20-30 years from now if you guys don't win a superbowl. Just like I don't talk about the Danny White era. Yeah, he was a good QB, just like you are, Tony. But he's a failure in cowboys history cuz he couldn't win a championship. The same fate awaits you if you don't get your act together and accept the fact that we expect more out of our football team.

Not all fans will agree with this now, but if you don't win a championship then 20-30 years from now, they will.