Regardless of Coaching, more talent needed

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this roster was 13 and 3 last year more talent would always help but until the coaching and gm are fixed this team will not win any thing the coaching is bad really bad and the front office really not very good at putting a team together

tm1119

Reaction score
1 Tech
LB
S (probably 2)
CB
WR
TE

That’s my list of positions we need an upgraded starter at next year in order. That’s a tall order to fill in 1 off season. Especially for a team that refuses to sign vet free agents making more than a couple mil a year.

How I’d do it...

1 Tech- Get Collins hooked up with a dietician and a personal trainer. If he can 10 pounds and strength in the offseason he could turn into the 1 Tech. Given his body type I don’t think it’s too crazy of a scenario. Draft another big bodied guy as well, 1 of the comp picks in the 4th would be a good spot.

LB- Have to sign a solid vet who knows a 4-3 D inside and out. I think it can be done with a reasonable contract.

S (probably 2)- Need to draft a guy in the 1st 3 rounds and sign a solid vet. Again, not a position to break the bank on, just a guy with starting experience who won’t hurt the team

CB- this is a tough 1. If there’s 1 position we should hand out a big contract at it should be to lock down our #1 CB spot. Lewis, Awuzie, and Brown make nice young depth.

WR- We can get a very talented WR in rounds 2-4.

TE- Same with TE. I think Witten will stick around for 1 more year so need a guy to groom. Who knows....maybe Rico will actually get on the field 1 day

Verdict

Reaction score
As long as the structure remains as it is with the way the talent is evaluated, nothing will change. It is not just how the team looks at outside prospects, but also how they self scout the existing personnel.

There will continue to be inflation of the actual talent on this team. There will continue to be the internal perception that the roster is set and that there are only a few positions that need true upgrades.

Chief will be at WR, where they will continue to believe that Dez Bryant is an alpha WR. They will look at the DL and assume since things got better this year that it is set. They will go after the LB position, as it will be what the DBs were in this past draft.

April will come. We will plug the obvious leaking holes on the roster with players we say were steals and then smugly go about our business. But as usual, there will be some unexpected hole in the dyke that develops that unravels next year because they simply do not know how to effectively build a roster. And oh yes, Garrett will be back.

You left out that we will hang our hopes on Dez who can't catch a cold, will trot out the body catcher as our #2 WR and beat out chest over our future hall of famer TE, Witten who will be part of the reason we can't get over the hump but at least he can pad his career stats.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1 Tech
LB
S (probably 2)
CB
WR
TE

That’s my list of positions we need an upgraded starter at next year in order. That’s a tall order to fill in 1 off season. Especially for a team that refuses to sign vet free agents making more than a couple mil a year.

How I’d do it...

1 Tech- Get Collins hooked up with a dietician and a personal trainer. If he can 10 pounds and strength in the offseason he could turn into the 1 Tech. Given his body type I don’t think it’s too crazy of a scenario. Draft another big bodied guy as well, 1 of the comp picks in the 4th would be a good spot.

LB- Have to sign a solid vet who knows a 4-3 D inside and out. I think it can be done with a reasonable contract.

S (probably 2)- Need to draft a guy in the 1st 3 rounds and sign a solid vet. Again, not a position to break the bank on, just a guy with starting experience who won’t hurt the team

CB- this is a tough 1. If there’s 1 position we should hand out a big contract at it should be to lock down our #1 CB spot. Lewis, Awuzie, and Brown make nice young depth.

WR- We can get a very talented WR in rounds 2-4.

TE- Same with TE. I think Witten will stick around for 1 more year so need a guy to groom. Who knows....maybe Rico will actually get on the field 1 day
That's what you want but they don't have to get all of that to be contenders.

The defense this season is very inexperienced overall. Some of the young players that have struggled would likely be much better if inserted into a quality defense with more sessoned vets surrounding. Get a legit 1tech and add a quality LB then Woods/Jones are likely good enough. The LB problems have killed the DBs in both run defense and zone coverage.

I think Awuzie will be the best DB of the current group. Brown will be OK if moved from #2 to #3 and/or he starts getting help in zone coverage from the LBs. Jaylon has killed Brown many times by not providing help when Brown plays outside leverage in zone.

On offense it would be great to upgrade both WR and TE but one or the other would be a huge improvement. They absolutely have to add a WR that puts pressure on defenses.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What happens if few of those players get injured or suspended? We go down the the tubes again with this coaching staff.

You can't count on injury luck every season. You need a coaching staff that can adjust and be at least competitive with what you got.

Any chef can make a descent dish with great ingredients. A good chef can make chicken salad out of chicken poop.
Parcells took the team to the playoffs with Quincy and Hambrick.
If they acquired the players as I described they would have decent depth with the exception of LT.

Awuzie and experience for the others increases depth at DB. Progress by Taco and maybe the return of Tapper would basically add depth at DE. Adding a DT allows Irving to play some at DE. I addressed DT and LB in free agency.

Adding a quality swing Tackle will be difficult but they probably would have spent more than they did for Bell if they knew Green would struggle. It's hard to explain how Green was good in two starts at LT last season. Maybe injuries have slowed him down.

They probably can't do much better in terms of backups for Zeke because he is a Super Star type player. Morris/Smith got yards but don't force 8-men in the box to help the passing game.

They basically lost their top 3 players (Zeke, Lee and Tyron) a times this season and all 3 were out against the Eagles.

Zman5

Reaction score
If they acquired the players as I described they would have decent depth with the exception of LT.

Awuzie and experience for the others increases depth at DB. Progress by Taco and maybe the return of Tapper would basically add depth at DE. Adding a DT allows Irving to play some at DE. I addressed DT and LB in free agency.

Adding a quality swing Tackle will be difficult but they probably would have spent more than they did for Bell if they knew Green would struggle. It's hard to explain how Green was good in two starts at LT last season. Maybe injuries have slowed him down.

They probably can't do much better in terms of backups for Zeke because he is a Super Star type player. Morris/Smith got yards but don't force 8-men in the box to help the passing game.

They basically lost their top 3 players (Zeke, Lee and Tyron) a times this season and all 3 were out against the Eagles.

This is my point. Even with good backups, without just Zeke , our offense was completely shutdown against the Chargers at home. Coaches have to do a better job where we can at least be competitive on offense without Zeke.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is my point. Even with good backups, without just Zeke , our offense was completely shutdown against the Chargers at home. Coaches have to do a better job where we can at least be competitive on offense without Zeke.
Must have a legit #1 WR...

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Imagine Dontari Poe at 1tech, Zack Brown at LB, a 1st round stud WR and Zeke not suspended. Combine that with young players like Lewis, Awuzie and Woods in their 2nd year.

Getting back to 13-3 is not that far fetched.
Cant argue with that

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
We need better depth. Why this team falls apart without Sean Lee is ridiculous.

But when this team was 5-3 we should have been AT LEAST 6-2 and more like 7-1.

That's why we need to overhaul the coaching staff. They blow too many games for us.

YR