USC's Bush wins Heisman
Story Tools:
print.gif
Print
email.gif
Email
Associated Press
Posted: 2 minutes ago

Reggie Bush left the competition behind - as usual.
Southern California's incomparable tailback won the Heisman Trophy as college football's best player Saturday night over Texas quarterback Vince Young and USC quarterback Matt Leinart, last year's winner. Photo Gallery...
Heisman finalists

More Heisman coverage...

VIDEO: Highlight reels of finalists
Handicapping the Heisman
Poll: Who deserves the Heisman?
Bush changes RB position
Young is very deserving
Leinart becomes wingman
Ranking Heisman winners

Flashing uncanny acceleration and ability to change direction, Bush has conjured up memories of Gale Sayers, drawn comparisons to Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders and Tony Dorsett, and is the favorite to be the No. 1 pick in April's NFL draft.

Bush and Leinart will be the first Heisman winners to play in a college game together when USC goes for a third straight national title against Texas in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 4.

This year's Heisman race appeared tight for much of the season, with Bush making a big statement in mid-October against Notre Dame. He ran for 160 yards and three touchdowns in South Bend, Ind., and provided the final push Leinart needed to score the winning TD in the closing seconds of a classic 34-31 victory.

But Bush was relatively quiet right after the Notre Dame game and Young seemed to have pulled ahead, with talk that two candidates from USC would cancel each other out.

That was until the night of Nov. 19, when Bush left Fresno State repeatedly grasping at air and onlookers grasping for superlatives to describe a performance that had to be seen to be truly appreciated.

He ran for 295 yards, racked up 513 all-purpose yards - the second-highest total in NCAA history - and USC escaped with a 50-42 victory.

5157552_36_1.jpg
Reggie Bush is the fifth USC tailback to win the Heisman Trophy. (Chris Carlson / Associated Press)

If there was still any doubt Bush was best, he dispelled it against UCLA, running for 260 yards and two touchdowns in a 66-19 victory. Only the lopsided score kept Bush from doing even more damage.

As the Trojans completed another perfect regular season, it seemed a foregone conclusion that Bush would become the fifth USC tailback to win the Heisman, following Mike Garrett, O.J. Simpson, Charles White and Marcus Allen.

The 200-pounder from Spring Valley, Calif., just outside of San Diego, ran for 1,658 yards this season, a dizzying average of 8.9 yards per carry, while leading the nation in all-purpose yards with 217.9 per game.

USC now has produced seven Heisman winners, matching the record held by Notre Dame, and an unprecedented three in four years, starting with quarterback Carson Palmer in 2002.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
All three of these candidates are going to make excellent NFL players. I'm anxious to see where Vince Young ends up, if he declares this year.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Nothing unexpected.

I, unlike TheSkaven, have real reservations about all of these players.

jem88

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Nothing unexpected.

I, unlike TheSkaven, have real reservations about all of these players.
A question for all your college football buffs, what happened with Adrian Peterson this year. I remember him looking like the second coming last year. I haven't had a chance to watch any college ball this year and I've hardly heard anything about him (I recall hearing he had some problems at the beginning of the year.) I guess I'm interested in knowing if he's still seen as the real deal. He's a sophomore no? So I imagine he won't be turning pro for a while. I'm just curious more than anything else.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
All three of these candidates are going to make excellent NFL players. I'm anxious to see where Vince Young ends up, if he declares this year.

him declaring will depend on his performance at the Rose bowl. IF he does great and leads his team to victory he will declare, as another year he has a chance of it hurting him (injury, not better play). If he doesnt he will take that chance and stay.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Bush is going to be a special player and I thought he deserved it last year. I'd love to have him in Dallas.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
jem88 said:
A question for all your college football buffs, what happened with Adrian Peterson this year. I remember him looking like the second coming last year. I haven't had a chance to watch any college ball this year and I've hardly heard anything about him (I recall hearing he had some problems at the beginning of the year.) I guess I'm interested in knowing if he's still seen as the real deal. He's a sophomore no? So I imagine he won't be turning pro for a while. I'm just curious more than anything else.

injuries.................but make no mistake, when healthy he is the best back in college..

runs like a horse.

jem88

Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
injuries.................but make no mistake, when healthy he is the best back in college..

runs like a horse.
Better than Bush? Again I'm asking because I recall hearing more about Peterson last year than I did about Bush.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I think Bush will leave with Leinart. I still think Vince stays for his Senior year.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Peterson is the better "runningback", while Bush provides more of the big play potential type of stuff. IMO kind of like comparing Tomlinson and Portis.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
jem88 said:

He plays for the Bears, averaging over 5 YPC.

Ok I am kidding.

Injured. And no longer a surprise.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
jem88 said:
Better than Bush? Again I'm asking because I recall hearing more about Peterson last year than I did about Bush.

bush is more versatile............ but as pure runner who will run over and around you ala eric dickerson.....adrian peterson is that man.

jmo

jem88

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
He plays for the Bears, averaging over 5 YPC.

Ok I am kidding.

Injured. And no longer a surprise.
So you don't rate him that highly? Or do you think he'll bounce back next year?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jem88 said:
They are different backs. Bush is the explosive, cutback runner. Peterson the human wrecking ball.

I think Peterson is the best RB I have seen in college since Bo Jackson.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Peterson had a high ankle sprain and OU didn't have a very good qb this year so every team loaded the box on him. Once he was healthy he tore it up again.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
jem88 said:
And you are correct to ask....Peterson is the guy who's overrated...he was getting stuffed before his injury. He's the type of power back who won't fare that well in the pros...he doesn't have the super special qualities.

Saw an Interview with Emmitt Smith on TV the other night. Emmitt said "the one player I've seen come out of college in recent years that I'd love to take under my wing and provide guidance to is Bush." Emmitt said he'd love to get a call from Bush because he has things he'd love to share with Bush that no one shared with him, that Bush is the best player he's seen in college in years.

jem88

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
And you are correct to ask....Peterson is the guy who's overrated...he was getting stuffed before his injury. He's the type of power back who won't fare that well in the pros...he doesn't have the super special qualities.

Saw an Interview with Emmitt Smith on TV the other night. Emmitt said "the one player I've seen come out of college in recent years that I'd love to take under my wing and provide guidance to is Bush." Emmitt said he'd love to get a call from Bush because he has things he'd love to share with Bush that no one shared with him, that Bush is the best player he's seen in college in years.
I take it there's no way Peterson turns pro this year?

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

peterson is anything but overrated.....

barring injury, he will win the heisman trophy next year.