Reggie Bush Wins Heisman

jem88

Reaction score
Man I miss watching college football! Married life, wonderful though it is, certainly does require changes! Actually that's a terrible excuse...my New Year's resolution will be put into immediate effect this year!

TxStar61

Reaction score
Congrats to Reggie. Peterson proved this year that he's only HUMAN and has a lot of growing up to do, too.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
And you are correct to ask....Peterson is the guy who's overrated...he was getting stuffed before his injury. He's the type of power back who won't fare that well in the pros...he doesn't have the super special qualities.

Saw an Interview with Emmitt Smith on TV the other night. Emmitt said "the one player I've seen come out of college in recent years that I'd love to take under my wing and provide guidance to is Bush." Emmitt said he'd love to get a call from Bush because he has things he'd love to share with Bush that no one shared with him, that Bush is the best player he's seen in college in years.

Overated?? He started 6 games had over 1000 yards 14 TDs and a 5.2 YPC all this with a Redshirt freshman QB and team stacking the box against the run

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
jem88 said:
So you don't rate him that highly? Or do you think he'll bounce back next year?

I still think he is one of the best RBs of recent years.

I wouldnt go as far as Hostile did comparing him to Bo (He is one of my all-time favorites).

I expect him to bounce back and be a terror next season.

ghst187

Reaction score
jem88 said:
A question for all your college football buffs, what happened with Adrian Peterson this year. I remember him looking like the second coming last year. I haven't had a chance to watch any college ball this year and I've hardly heard anything about him (I recall hearing he had some problems at the beginning of the year.) I guess I'm interested in knowing if he's still seen as the real deal. He's a sophomore no? So I imagine he won't be turning pro for a while. I'm just curious more than anything else.

oh he's the real deal still. First off, he was injured (ankle) and then came back too early and kept playing through pain without getting fully healthy. His team needed him badly. Secondly, his team stunk. It lost its entire starting OL and the QB was one of the worst starting QBs in Div IA. He was all they had. He still managed plenty of highlight reel runs and several 200+ yard games, but you probably didn't see them unless you were watching OU football all season because OU lost quite a few games and didn't beat anyone of significance. Peterson still managed over 1000 yards despite only barely playing in half of their games.
IMO, he was the best pure RB in college football again...no disrespect to Bush. Bush deserved the trophy 100% and should be a great pro but Peterson seems the epitome of a NFL-ready RB. His combination of size, speed, and agility is simply amazing. He'll be able to handle 25 carries a game in the pros. I don't think Bush will be that kind of NFL player. I'm sure he'll do great, I just don't think Bush will line up in the backfield 20x per game. He might not be able to handle that kind of punishment. I see Bush as a guy that takes a handoff about 10-14x per game and lines up wide 20x.
Peterson is just a sophomore. He'll just be a Jr next season. He'll be healthy next year and OU should be a better team next year so look for him to be back in the Heisman talk along with Brady Quinn for 06.

ghst187

Reaction score
TxStar61 said:
Congrats to Reggie. Peterson proved this year that he's only HUMAN and has a lot of growing up to do, too.
:eek:

I get the stark impression that you didn't see Peterson play at all this year....?
6 games and over 1000 yards. See my other post in this thread about his ankle injury. Growing up isn't something that anyone should say Peterson needs. He was a man-child last year as a true freshman.
Check out JJ's difficulties and duration in fighting an ankle injury....
and Pete is NOT a Clarett headcase. Kid is mature and has his stuff together.

Tobal

Reaction score
I hate OU, but Peterson is the real deal. Guy is not just a power back, you've not watched him play if that is your impression.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
injuries.................but make no mistake, when healthy he is the best back in college..

runs like a horse.

Yep, when you lose 12 players to the pros and have some injuries you are going to struggle at some point.

I would take Adrian Peterson over Reggie Bush anyday of the week and that is not because Peterson is from Texas.

Big powerful bruising back that doesnt have to be in a "certain" offense to excel.

- Mike G.

Westcoasthabsfan

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
him declaring will depend on his performance at the Rose bowl. IF he does great and leads his team to victory he will declare, as another year he has a chance of it hurting him (injury, not better play). If he doesnt he will take that chance and stay.

Totally disagree there....just look at Matt L.... people love playing for Pete Carroll and I wouldnt be surprised if Reggie comes back for another year....whether the Trojans win or not...(I am betting they blow out Texas)

burmafrd

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Bush is coming back is deluded. He will be the #1 pick- and a LOT of people will remind him of what happened with McGahee. He has nothing to prove- and a lot to lose by coming back. Any football player is one injury from becoming a FORMER football player- ESPCECIALLY a RB. Add to that that USC is losing some very good O linemen, will have to break in a new QB, and staying in school frankly becomes a dumb move. Leinart I think may have cost himself a fair amount of money coming back since he WOULD have been the #1 pick LAST year.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Westcoasthabsfan said:
Totally disagree there....just look at Matt L.... people love playing for Pete Carroll and I wouldnt be surprised if Reggie comes back for another year....whether the Trojans win or not...(I am betting they blow out Texas)
A wise man....a very wise man...on the blowout of Texas. I think Reggie will declare...as a RB, he needs to declare because his QB is gone. Matt had better reasons to return as a QB...he needed it and had all the pieces still in place.

Lindale White will also go in the first round if he declares, but he's the one who should stay at USC and get all the carries next year. He'll have a bigger year than Peterson at OU. Peterson was a superhuman freshman, but I'm predicting he's just another good running back next year.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Westcoasthabsfan said:

I was talking about Vince, not reggie.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I posted in another thread previously that I thought Peterson was the best back I had seen in recent history and I still believe that. I do not think it is a stretch to compare Peterson to Bo Jackson. Peterson has those kinds of physical skills. This year, you saw what an injured Soph. on a talent depeated team has to deal with. USC and Bush had a Sr. QB, Sr. FB, a Jr. and Soph. starting OT, a Sr. and Jr. starting Guard tandom, a Jr. starting C, a Sr. TE and a Jr. and Soph. Starting WR corp. Peterson was a one man show. Now, I'm not trying to take anything away from Bush but clearly, these backs were opporating under vastly different talent and experience levels. As I said earlier, I don't think it's a stretch to compare the talent levels of Bo and Peterson. I see Bush as a bigger Marshall Faulk.