Reggie McNeal - QB or WR?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So what do you guys think? Will he be a QB or a WR in the NFL? I gotta tell ya, I'd be for drafting this guy and sending him directly to the WRs position coach.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
So what do you guys think? Will he be a QB or a WR in the NFL? I gotta tell ya, I'd be for drafting this guy and sending him directly to the WRs position coach.

he definitely isnt a QB...horrendous throwing ability and accuracy

David

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
WR ! He's got a real big arm , very mobile , smart kid , but his accuracy sucks . I'd love to see what Dallas could do with him at the WR spot . With the success they've had with Crayton , and the success we've seen in other converted QBs like Randle-EL , H. Ward , and M. Jones , it wouldn't surprise me . It depends on how long he's on the board too . If he falls to say the 4th or 5th round , I wouldn't even bat an eye .

Nobody is going to start in front of Keyshawn and Glenn , so why not take a chance on a guy like this in the mid to later rounds ?

I'd also be interested in Brad Smith from Missouri , Michael Robinson from Penn State , and Barrick Nealy from Texas State . None of these guys have the speed of McNeal , but all 3 are equally as good if not better athletes . A good football player is a good football player . Find him a position and get him on the field .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
At 6-2 200 lbs with 4.35 speed, I'd love to see what he might be able to do at WR. He may not be a great QB but he is one of the top 4 or 5 athletes in this draft. I'm told, all though I don't know this for a fact, that he can catch the football. I wouldn't mind seeing him at WR.

joseephuss

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David

What do you mean by throwing ability? He can make every throw. He has a strong arm. He can thow every pass on the passing tree, so I think he has ability.

He isn't accurate, I agree with that and I also think that is pretty important.

I am not too sure about Reggie. I saw him play in high school and college and he didn't progress that much. I think that mostly has to do with A&M. They aren't too good at developing QBs. He is a very good athlete, but I question his toughness. Can he survive at the NFL level? That goes for either the QB or WR position. He has a thin, lanky build. He will probably see less punishment at the wide receiver position.

I see nothing wrong with a late round pick or free agent pick up although I prefer Brad Smith if Dallas is looking to convert an athletic QB to receiver.

Derinyar

Reaction score
McNeal regressed under Franchonie. He backtracked and started running more of an option offense. I suspect he gets drafted at some point, probably end of day one or start of day two.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think Corey Chavous was right.

He could be a good NFL player, but I think he deserves an opportunity at QB in preseason, but he has shown his athleticism is top notch.

He could be like Seneca Wallace except better.

kevwun

Reaction score
He's fast, but goes down easy. He's had some ankle problems also. He has a very strong arm, but his accuracy and touch leave a lot to be desired. The touch issue is bigger, I think. He seems to not like taking something off of short throws. He wasn't a very good leader. He did not progress in college and I think a lot of it was due to poor coaching. A good qb coach might be able to turn him around. I think he will make a good receiver though.

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
kevwun said:
He's fast, but goes down easy.
I'm not sure if that is supposed to be a bad thing or not. I'd rather not have my QB going Elway every single game and launching themself into a defender. Agree on most of your points, though.

However, I don't see him being a WR. QB or bust. People talk about how fragile he is...so lets put him in a position where he has to go over the middle and potentially get crushed by somebody 20-40 lbs heavier? Yeah I'm sure he'd last long doing that.

kevwun

Reaction score
I didn't phrase that well. I should have said he's fast, but isn't very elusive. Terry Glenn is fragile and he's had a nice career.

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
I really don't think that is as big a deal as everybody else thinks. He's never going to be a Vick like runner who tries to zig-zag through a defense. He doesnt' really want to run that much either. This is why he failed at that heavy option offense A&M tried to run.

In HS he ran an offense where he was basically a pocket QB with wheels to take off for yards if need be. He would run because he was faster than anybody else on the field, but he seemed to prefer staying in the pocket as long as possible.

So I'm not too worried about him taking off and getting a big hit, he'd avoid those and get out of bounds. I'd be more worried about him getting blind-sided, but then that is a worry about every QB. His consistency(not accuracy, he actually has the ability to throw on a dime...just needs to figure out how to do it consistently) is my biggest problem with him. Serious problems with consistency.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David

Considering he is a better passer with better mechanics than Vince Young..... :rolleyes:

marchetta

Reaction score
Reggie McNeal QB/WR Texas A&M

Strengths
Reggie has one of the strongest arms in this draft. He is an excellent athlete and shows some leadership skills. He moves well in the pocket and out of the pocket and can make the big play in the blink of an eye. When Reggie gets into a zone, he is a pleasure to watch play the game of football and can be one of the most exciting players on the field.

Needs to Improve
Reggie is an extremely erratic football player. He lacks consistency in every facet of his game. He is very fast and has good hands. In fact, he should be moved now –- this minute -- before I finish this profile to the WR position.

Bottom Line
When you watch this kid play, he sends chills down your spin one minute and gives you a great big headache the next. The first time I saw him, I just watched him and drooled at his potential to be a QB at the next level. The more I watched him play, the more I realized he has to be moved as quickly as possible to the WR position. He is way too erratic at the college level and that means there is no way he will be successful at the NFL level. The QB position is too much for him to handle mentally. He must be moved right away because with his athletic talent, he should be an outstanding WR. He will take some time, but he looks like he has the work ethic to do it. Reggie will impact at the next level faster as a WR and that’s a fact. Now, before you A & M fans get all over me about how great Reggie is and how I must be as blind as a bat if I can’t see how great he is, remember it’s about the next level. It is not how good Reggie is at the college level. If Reggie stays a QB, you'll never hear about him again. If he is moved to the WR position, you'll be seeing him in the Pro Bowl. It is as simple as that.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
marchetta said:

Strengths
Reggie has one of the strongest arms in this draft. He is an excellent athlete and shows some leadership skills. He moves well in the pocket and out of the pocket and can make the big play in the blink of an eye. When Reggie gets into a zone, he is a pleasure to watch play the game of football and can be one of the most exciting players on the field.

Needs to Improve
Reggie is an extremely erratic football player. He lacks consistency in every facet of his game. He is very fast and has good hands. In fact, he should be moved now –- this minute -- before I finish this profile to the WR position.

Bottom Line
When you watch this kid play, he sends chills down your spin one minute and gives you a great big headache the next. The first time I saw him, I just watched him and drooled at his potential to be a QB at the next level. The more I watched him play, the more I realized he has to be moved as quickly as possible to the WR position. He is way too erratic at the college level and that means there is no way he will be successful at the NFL level. The QB position is too much for him to handle mentally. He must be moved right away because with his athletic talent, he should be an outstanding WR. He will take some time, but he looks like he has the work ethic to do it. Reggie will impact at the next level faster as a WR and that’s a fact. Now, before you A & M fans get all over me about how great Reggie is and how I must be as blind as a bat if I can’t see how great he is, remember it’s about the next level. It is not how good Reggie is at the college level. If Reggie stays a QB, you'll never hear about him again. If he is moved to the WR position, you'll be seeing him in the Pro Bowl. It is as simple as that.

I seem to remember a similar scouting report for Randall Cunningham.... :rolleyes:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Considering he is a better passer with better mechanics than Vince Young..... :rolleyes:

niether one of them are NFL QB's IMO

and both of them suck in terms of throwing ability

David

peppersquad

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

Seriously, Me and my boy MavsMan has been on this for 3 years now.

Ill take him a quarterback over Uncle Rico any day of the week.

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
marchetta said:
If Reggie stays a QB, you'll never hear about him again. If he is moved to the WR position, you'll be seeing him in the Pro Bowl
. It is as simple as that.

No, if he is moved to the WR position, the next time you'll see him is being carted off the field. I mean seriously, what are these people thinking. The guy had some trouble staying healthy in college...so lets make him go over the middle of the field completely unprotected at times! BRILLIANT!:bang2:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Quarterback. I'd take him with a late pick and incubate him for a couple of years. He can throw plenty well -- he's not that inaccurate and he has a very quick arm -- and he'd be a very dangerous backup for a defense to have to face.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

Stats don't support this position HH.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Stats don't support this position HH.

That's because stats don't take into account the fact that Vince Young didnt throw the ball downfield near as much as McNeal, nor did Young have an ***** up offense that was holding back his abilities.

Young also had all day to throw behind that all-world offensive line....