Reggie McNeal - QB or WR?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I think Reggie McNeal is pretty determined to play QB.

Brad Smith might not have McNeal's 40 time, he's strikes me as a more instinctual and natural runner with the ball in his hands.

joseephuss

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
That's because stats don't take into account the fact that Vince Young didnt throw the ball downfield near as much as McNeal, nor did Young have an ***** up offense that was holding back his abilities.

Young also had all day to throw behind that all-world offensive line....

It is not just the stats from the past season. Young's career college stats look better than McNeal's. I am impressed with the way Young's career has grown. I am disappointed in how McNeal's has regressed. There is potential for both to do well. It is just a bigger plus when a player shows a steady growth opposed to one who is up and down.

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
Young didn't show steady growth. He showed astronomical growth post-Missouri game 2004. And it wasn't because he all of a sudden was able to grasp the offense. Rather Mack and G Davis "dumbed" it down. He's going to have a slow process getting used to the NFL. The worst thing to happen to him would be rushed along. I'd say at least 2 years of clipboard holding, with some minor playing time to get his feet wet.

McNeal, I think actually could be ready after one year if he gets a good QB coach. If not, probably won't be ready ever. He just needs to refine his skills. He had a fairly complicated offense(complicated for a college offense anyway) as a freshman and was able to grasp it enough to beat #1 OU. He has ability, it just NEVER got refined in the last 3 years he was at A&M.

Also, why must one inevitably be brought up in a thread about the other? Sometimes there is legitimate conversations, but usually it just ends up as A&M fans saying VY is overrated and has a terrible throwing motion and Texas fans posting a picture of a certain trophy in the hands of VY. They are actually seperate entities you know?

joseephuss

Reaction score
ComicBookGuy said:
Young didn't show steady growth. He showed astronomical growth post-Missouri game 2004. And it wasn't because he all of a sudden was able to grasp the offense. Rather Mack and G Davis "dumbed" it down. He's going to have a slow process getting used to the NFL. The worst thing to happen to him would be rushed along. I'd say at least 2 years of clipboard holding, with some minor playing time to get his feet wet.

McNeal, I think actually could be ready after one year if he gets a good QB coach. If not, probably won't be ready ever. He just needs to refine his skills. He had a fairly complicated offense(complicated for a college offense anyway) as a freshman and was able to grasp it enough to beat #1 OU. He has ability, it just NEVER got refined in the last 3 years he was at A&M.

Also, why must one inevitably be brought up in a thread about the other? Sometimes there is legitimate conversations, but usually it just ends up as A&M fans saying VY is overrated and has a terrible throwing motion and Texas fans posting a picture of a certain trophy in the hands of VY. They are actually seperate entities you know?

The A&M offense Reggie's freshman season was similar to the spread offense that Young ran last season. He played a great game against OU, but he wasn't asked to do anything complex. If the deep ball was open, he just threw it. It worked very well that game.

I agree with your last paragraph. They are separate players. One's success won't depend on the others failure. I hope both do well. This comes from an Ag living in Austin. I don't know what that is worth.

Derinyar

Reaction score
I do think McNeal has a chance to be a successful NFL QB. His upside is probably smaller than that of Young, but his bust potential is probably about even. I do think its interesting that before this year McNeal was better though of by scouts than Young.

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
The A&M offense Reggie's freshman season was similar to the spread offense that Young ran last season. He played a great game against OU, but he wasn't asked to do anything complex. If the deep ball was open, he just threw it. It worked very well that game.
I disagree on the offenses being similar. Texas' passing game last year was setup by the shotgun option. You couldn't really bring out a 5 or 6 DB set to counter the spread formation because Vince could take off and there is no way a CB is going to take him down. But by leaving in LB's, you leave your defense open to the passing game. It was definetely pick your poison.

Reggie's freshman offense didn't have many if any scheduled running plays, at least in the game against OU since he didn't exactly play much more that season due to injury. That offense was designed for stationary quarterbacks. He took off when it was necessary, but there weren't the designed plays that Texas had last year. The only real similarity they had was that they would try and spread people out. The one thing I saw from Reggie his freshman year against OU, was that he was calling audibles. Not only that but on many occasions they lead to very positive plays. Even last year, VY didn't call audibles. It was a limited offense. But if you want to discuss this more...PM me. I'd like to end the VY hijacking of this thread if possible...

kartr

Reaction score
marchetta said:
Reggie McNeal QB/WR Texas A&M

Strengths
Reggie has one of the strongest arms in this draft. He is an excellent athlete and shows some leadership skills. He moves well in the pocket and out of the pocket and can make the big play in the blink of an eye. When Reggie gets into a zone, he is a pleasure to watch play the game of football and can be one of the most exciting players on the field.

Needs to Improve
Reggie is an extremely erratic football player. He lacks consistency in every facet of his game. He is very fast and has good hands. In fact, he should be moved now –- this minute -- before I finish this profile to the WR position.

Bottom Line
When you watch this kid play, he sends chills down your spin one minute and gives you a great big headache the next. The first time I saw him, I just watched him and drooled at his potential to be a QB at the next level. The more I watched him play, the more I realized he has to be moved as quickly as possible to the WR position. He is way too erratic at the college level and that means there is no way he will be successful at the NFL level. The QB position is too much for him to handle mentally. He must be moved right away because with his athletic talent, he should be an outstanding WR. He will take some time, but he looks like he has the work ethic to do it. Reggie will impact at the next level faster as a WR and that’s a fact. Now, before you A & M fans get all over me about how great Reggie is and how I must be as blind as a bat if I can’t see how great he is, remember it’s about the next level. It is not how good Reggie is at the college level. If Reggie stays a QB, you'll never hear about him again. If he is moved to the WR position, you'll be seeing him in the Pro Bowl. It is as simple as that.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

He also said that Phillip Rivers should be moved to TE. Said he's the same player as Matt Jones, but without the speed.

kartr

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Quarterback. I'd take him with a late pick and incubate him for a couple of years. He can throw plenty well -- he's not that inaccurate and he has a very quick arm -- and he'd be a very dangerous backup for a defense to have to face.

Yeah, why can't he be given time to develop as a qb, then if he doesn't develop in a couple of years, move him to wr. After all, there are plenty of guys with less talent playing qb right now(see Seneca Wallace,David Green,Harrington,Dilfer,Charlie Frye,etc.)

kartr

Reaction score
joseephuss said:

I agree with your last paragraph. They are separate players. One's success won't depend on the others failure. I hope both do well. This comes from an Ag living in Austin. I don't know what that is worth.

Agreed, I think they both have showed more than enough to be given a chance to play qb until they've proved that they can't.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Reggie is a great athlete... he played several positions with great success at Lufkin...

I cringed when he signed with A&M, not because I don't like them... I do, but I knew he wouldn't be developed there for the type of QB the he is... and that is playmaker...

He can play in the NFL and I think he can play at QB... he just needs a chance in the right situation...