Reggie Robinson back to safety again?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They could have just drafted a S as they had many opportunities to do so on day 2 of the draft. :banghead:

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Couple of observations:
This was author speculation by blogger that is not plugged into the team. Some dude just speculating.

I don't hold Robinsons rookie year against him. Simply put, our defensive staff was just a mess last year. He actually seems like a good fit for Quinns system. I'm excited to see what he can do for us this year.

I'm starting to be convinced that Lewis is going to man FS with Kazee. They are almost physical clones.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score

Kid couldn’t even play well enough on special teams to get active on game day. Doesn’t bode well for him - he was on a bad defense with a bad secondary and he couldn’t even show enough in practice to get activated.

They clearly have to do something about safety. I think Kazee is going to do well and maybe paired with Wilson he will be OK. But I suspect it’s Israel Mukuamu that moves to safety.

There’s a logjam at corner and last year Dallas only kept 5 players. This year those would be Diggs and Joseph as starters, Brown as the slot corner, Goodwin for his special teams play and then probably Wright. So actually, both Mukuamu and Jourdan Lewis will move to safety. Robinson is the odd man out.

Here are the players, you guys tell me who goes where:

Corners (pick 5 or max 6): Trevon Diggs, Jordan Lewis, Anthony Brown, Maurice Canady, C.J. Goodwin, Kelvin Joseph, Israel Mukuamu, Nahshan Wright, Reggie Robinson

Safeties (pick 4): Demontae Kazee, Darían Thompson, Donavon Wilson, Jayron Kearse.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Too slow to play CB? He ran a 4.44 last year. Plenty of speed. Now he struggled in the 20 yard shuttle and the 3 cone drill, so maybe the lack of change of direction ability is why the staff are moving him

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Not sure about the chances of this working out. Safeties have to be able to tackle well in the open field. You can’t just take any corner and move them and expect them to do well. To me it makes sense when you have a corner that’s not great in man to man but does well in zone coverage and is a good tackler. That’s the guy you move to safety and maybe Robinson is that but I don’t know.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
May as well try Reggie at safety since they're not signing any of the veterans some have clamored for here.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Not sure about the chances of this working out. Safeties have to be able to tackle well in the open field. You can’t just take any corner and move them and expect them to do well. To me it makes sense when you have a corner that’s not great in man to man but does well in zone coverage and is a good tackler. That’s the guy you move to safety and maybe Robinson is that but I don’t know.

I’m hoping for the best for Robinson because I’d hate to think we completely whiffed on a 4th rounder.

That said, I really think if we cut ties with him you’re going to here stuff come out by the Eatman, Helman, and Co. that Robinson may have had issues with playbook or perhaps maturity.

kskboys

Reaction score
Speed does not equal athleticism. Reggie appears to be somewhat unathletic, why are people claiming he's so athletic? What sort of physical skills are being used to proclaim this? Truly curious.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m hoping for the best for Robinson because I’d hate to think we completely whiffed on a 4th rounder.

That said, I really think if we cut ties with him you’re going to here stuff come out by the Eatman, Helman, and Co. that Robinson may have had issues with playbook or perhaps maturity.
It was noted in his scouting report that he is very slow to react to what's in front of him.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Speed does not equal athleticism. Reggie appears to be somewhat unathletic, why are people claiming he's so athletic? What sort of physical skills are being used to proclaim this? Truly curious.

It’s not just speed. Some of his athletic metrics are in the 50th-90th percentile which indicates he’s an above athlete. His closest comp. is C.J. Henderson, a first round corner last year.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/reggie-robinson-ii

*Now, Nashon Wright is a poor athlete (relatively speaking for an NFL corner).

kskboys

Reaction score
All the experts hyped the pick as such a steal though lol. When will yall learn that they know as much as any of us?
I never could understand why. He's really just a fast guy who appears rather clumsy, can't turn, and is terrible at processing info. The hype on him was mesmerizing.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It’s not just speed. Some of his athletic metrics are in the 50th-90th percentile which indicates he’s an above athlete. His closest comp. is C.J. Henderson, a first round corner last year.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/reggie-robinson-ii

*Now, Nashon Wright is a poor athlete (relatively speaking for an NFL corner).

Change of direction ability isn't good what so ever.

At the end of the day, the guy was what? A fifth round pick. And a different coaching staff view him as a different fit in their defense (or not at all).

Mr_437

Reaction score
RR just isn't a good player. They can move him all over the field and it won't matter. McClay drafted RR's measurements, and not the football player. I watched his games last year, and thought these guys are terrible evaluators, but ppl on CZ swore he was a steal.

Drafting measurements is what's scary about this year's draft. I think ppl are already overvaluing the 3rd round picks in particular...I just hope their not RR all over again, but to a lesser degree.

Techsass

Reaction score
I'm clueless besides what I read last year in his draft reports, but hopefully it was just Nolan's fault we didn't get to see him. That's the guy who had Armstrong getting way more snaps than Gregory until the PR folks got on to him.

On the other hand I thought Fassel would've wanted a guy who blocked 4 punts out there, but he apparently didn't.