Reggie Robinson future not looking good

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
FWIW, here is a link to a scouting report for him:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-2020-scouting-report-for-dallas-cowboys-pick

STRENGTHS

—Primarily played corner at Tulsa but projects well as a slot corner/safety hybrid.

—Versatility for days; can match up on the outside with bigger receivers, in the slot with tight ends or with running backs out of the backfield.

—Recovered from an injury his junior year to have his most productive season in 2019 with three interceptions.

—Can play press at the line of scrimmage against receivers or tight ends.

—Height, weight, speed winner (6'1", 205 lbs, 4.44-second 40-yard dash)

WEAKNESSES

—Struggled to mirror in man coverage; will most likely be a slot corner in the NFL.

—Shies away from contact; slow to come up in the run.

—Slow to react to the ball or ball-carriers.

—Relies too much on his hands in coverage.

Judging from the "weakness" category, it really looks like he lacks the aggressiveness to succeed at safety!

Not sure what compels this team to switch guys to spots they're not suited to. Maybe he's better off as a CB.

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
It’s worrisome he’s yet to be active.

Meanwhile guys taken after him have been active

Amik Robertson (Raiders)
John Reid (Texans)
Daniel Thomas (Jags)
Kindle Vidor (Bears)
Alohi Gilman (Chargers)
Harrison Hand (Vikings)
Jordan Fuller (Rams)
Josh Metellus (Vikings)
Kamren Curl (WFT)

That’s to name a bunch of them. We have arguably the worst secondary in the league and tons of injuries. It’s scary he cannot find a role to do anything on this team. Hopefully he gets a chance to shine this year.

He was an all conference special teamer and blocked multiple kicks. Not sure why he hasn’t been given a shot on ST

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Amik Robertson (Raiders)
John Reid (Texans)
Daniel Thomas (Jags)
Kindle Vidor (Bears)
Alohi Gilman (Chargers)
Harrison Hand (Vikings)
Jordan Fuller (Rams)
Josh Metellus (Vikings)
Kamren Curl (WFT)

That’s to name a bunch of them. We have arguably the worst secondary in the league and tons of injuries. It’s scary he cannot find a role to do anything on this team. Hopefully he gets a chance to shine this year

Did you not watch what our offense did to Seattle, ATL and Cleveland's secondaries? Sure we're in the running but it's not like we're alone on that island.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Amik Robertson (Raiders)
John Reid (Texans)
Daniel Thomas (Jags)
Kindle Vidor (Bears)
Alohi Gilman (Chargers)
Harrison Hand (Vikings)
Jordan Fuller (Rams)
Josh Metellus (Vikings)
Kamren Curl (WFT)

That’s to name a bunch of them. We have arguably the worst secondary in the league and tons of injuries. It’s scary he cannot find a role to do anything on this team. Hopefully he gets a chance to shine this year.

He was an all conference special teamer and blocked multiple kicks. Not sure why he hasn’t been given a shot on ST
Been saying the same about ST.

Stubbornness runs deeply in Dallas.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
In all seriousness Robinson was a 4th round draft pick who is making a position change.. That says "project" to me.. and projects get a longer incubation period. No offseason program, no training camp and no preseason has him waaaaay behind in his development. I think we should just chill and see how he develops with a real offseason.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He blocked kicks four seasons in a row. Not sure how they don’t just let him attempt to at least change the game with a block

I had forgotten about that aspect of his game.. If nothing else he could be the designated kick blocker like the guy in New England. Super explosive first step guys are damn near impossible to keep from getting close to the ball on kicks.. A guy like that will time it just right 4-5 times a year and win you a game or two on blocked kicks. Hopefully Fassel and crew figure that out next year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Amik Robertson (Raiders)
John Reid (Texans)
Daniel Thomas (Jags)
Kindle Vidor (Bears)
Alohi Gilman (Chargers)
Harrison Hand (Vikings)
Jordan Fuller (Rams)
Josh Metellus (Vikings)
Kamren Curl (WFT)

Evidently, upon examining the 'weakness' category, it seems he tends to shy away from contact, to an extent. Not good for a safety, nor ST.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Can't mirror, can't keep up w/ WR's, not a great tackler albeit is willing.

Reading between the lines: Poor lateral agility, poor burst. Appears to lack the traits to be an NFL starter.

kskboys

Reaction score
Evidently, upon examining the 'weakness' category, it seems he tends to shy away from contact, to an extent. Not good for a safety.
Not so much that he shies away from it, as he appears to lack the ability to mirror the ball carrier's moves which makes it appear so.

kskboys

Reaction score
I had forgotten about that aspect of his game.. If nothing else he could be the designated kick blocker like the guy in New England. Super explosive first step guys are damn near impossible to keep from getting close to the ball on kicks.. A guy like that will time it just right 4-5 times a year and win you a game or two on blocked kicks. Hopefully Fassel and crew figure that out next year.
Even though I can't find a scouting report that says it, putting everything together points toward lacking burst.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Not so much that he shies away from it, as he appears to lack the ability to mirror the ball carrier's moves which makes it appear so.

If true, perhaps that's why they haven't given up on him, as yet?! Hopefully, he'll develop into what they're hoping for.

kskboys

Reaction score
If true, perhaps that's why they haven't given up on him as yet. Hopefully, he'll develop into what they're looking for.
Robinson ran a great 40 time and is 6-1. That's pretty much why he was drafted. However, that doesn't mean he has the key traits in lateral agility and burst. From what I'm reading, it appears he may lack both.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Yeah that line in the scouting report followed by "projects as slot corner" is a real puzzler to me. I mean is there a position on the defense that demands this ability more than slot corner?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Robinson ran a great 40 time and is 6-1. That's pretty much why he was drafted. However, that doesn't mean he has the key traits in lateral agility and burst. From what I'm reading, it appears he may lack both.

Whatever his problem is, it seems it may take a while before he's ready to compete at NFL level. At times, measurables aren't enough.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah that line in the scouting report followed by "projects as slot corner" is a real puzzler to me. I mean is there a position on the defense that demands this ability more than slot corner?
Since it didn't make sense, I took it as a scout trying too hard to figure out a place for this guy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Whatever his problem is, it seems it may take a while before he's ready to compete at NFL level. At times, measurables aren't enough.
If he lacks lateral agility and burst as I surmise, he won't be ready.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
LOL at Reggie Robinson being a bust. Cowboys zone at its finest overreaction. He is a 4th rounder those guys are hit and miss. Experienced secondary players have been terrible at learning Nolan’s defense. We might have found something with Donavon Wilson and I remember they put him in against Detroit last season and he was terrible. Let’s let it play out. This guy has talent. Let’s develop it.

cern

Reaction score
I find it amazing/fascinating that the name earl thomas has not popped up in a thread involving d-backs.