Reggie Robinson future not looking good

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Wilson was in the same situation last season. I remember fans calling for him to have more playing time. But it never happened. He is getting it this year the last few games it seems.
Not concerned with Robinson and lack of playing time at this point.

Wilson was active and playing on special teams.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Bradlee Anae may have been made game active, but you would never know it by the way Tomsula is NOT using him.

He does have several players ahead of him. I would like to see him get promoted over Armstrong. Anae is also playing on special teams.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
having no preseason to prove himself - even as special teamer - and make an impression hurt Robinson.
They knew by his tape and Senior Bowl that he'd be raw.

best bet would have to be latter in year per coaches decision

I think we would agree, this team is playing out the string and isn't making the playoffs. Players like Robinson need experience, it he been that bad in practice, where he hasn't earned playing time?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We can look at Hill last year as far as extended periods being inactive to see that it does not necessarily mean they guy is going to be a bust. Before his injury, some could argue that Hill was playing about as well as anyone on defense this year. Some guys take more time than others to put it together.

It one thing to get snaps within the defense, but not getting any snaps on special teams? Hell, even AOA was playing on special teams as a rookie.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This the same team that started Steele first game of the season.....they have no idea how to gauge talent they just started giving Wilson solid reps.

Mr_437

Reaction score
So many excuses. They do practice, so a player can make an impression, good or bad. RR is not Trysten Hill... totally different situations. Y'all acting like a 4th round pick is a priority UDFA or something...4th round DBs supposed to play...I mean this is a passing league right.

The problem is McClay over drafted RR due to sparq type infatuation...dude can't play period. I watched like 4-5 games and this guy struggled with 6th round picks. Honestly, I thought he was a poor prospect, and that was before I viewed the Senior Bowl reps he had, sheesh.

This team dragging dudes off the streets and playing them while RR is on scout team holding tackling dummies or whatnot. Also, everyone that was drafted has played snaps while the 4th round pick can't even get active, c'mon now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are all well aware that all rookies were going to be behind the eight ball this year due to lack of any off-season, but to be a gameday inactive for the entire season is troubling. We discussed it may be difficult to find him snaps with the defense this season, especially him learning a new position at safety, but him not being a core special teamer doesn't bode well for his long-term future with the team. I hope I'm wrong, but Robinson is trending to be a draft bust.

It doesn't really mean anything except that he isn't ready on special teams.

The absolute last thing they needed on defense was a rookie 4th rounder playing Safety.

kskboys

Reaction score
How did you come to that conclusion. He runs a 4.4 and is 6’1 we should find out about him soon enough.
Has trouble making open field tackles. Terrible at mirroring the receiver. Terrible recovery speed.

Are you now able to conclude that also?

kskboys

Reaction score
So many excuses. They do practice, so a player can make an impression, good or bad. RR is not Trysten Hill... totally different situations. Y'all acting like a 4th round pick is a priority UDFA or something...4th round DBs supposed to play...I mean this is a passing league right.

The problem is McClay over drafted RR due to sparq type infatuation...dude can't play period. I watched like 4-5 games and this guy struggled with 6th round picks. Honestly, I thought he was a poor prospect, and that was before I viewed the Senior Bowl reps he had, sheesh.

This team dragging dudes off the streets and playing them while RR is on scout team holding tackling dummies or whatnot. Also, everyone that was drafted has played snaps while the 4th round pick can't even get active, c'mon now.
Offhand, I'd say RR is not really an NFL prospect.

Nice to speak to someone who watched him play. His scouting reports agree w/ your take.

kskboys

Reaction score
You wouldn’t necessarily expect a 4th rounder to be a major contributor his rookie season, but you would expect to see him on the field at some point. Especially, considering all the injuries we’ve had to our secondary.

It should also be noted the team made the determination to move him to corner to safety pretty early on so there may be some red flags there.
He can't mirror. It's in all his scouting reports that I read, I think it was 5 of them.

A guy who can't mirror must be able to play downhill, so they're seeing if he can play S, where the play is in front of him.

kskboys

Reaction score
i would have thought Robinson be given a chance to be at least Kevon Frasier type role his rookie year given his special teams rap in college. .
I fully understand Robinson not being ready to play within the defense, especially learning a new position, but not to play on special teams is troubling. Backups have to be able to play special teams or they won't be on the roster
"While RR attacks the run, his ability to do so is average."

He's not a good open field tackler. Scouting reports on him are sketchy due to small school, but it appears that he lacks burst and agility. That's why he's not playing ST's.

Sydla

Reaction score
Huh? Where did this come from? He's only been a Cowboy a little over 6 months, in the middle of a pandemic with no mini camp, no training camp no preseason and joining a team with a new coaching staff. It's simply premature to say his future isn't looking good or say he's trending to be a draft bust given the conditions he's joined the league. We have to give him a chance and he really hasn't had one yet. Especially considering he was a 4th round pick not a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Doesn't have 3 interceptions by now = you suck

Sydla

Reaction score
Saying he's gameday inactive for the entire season when we've only played half the season is a tricky one!

That dude needs to give me the lottery picks for the next big lottery.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Has trouble making open field tackles. Terrible at mirroring the receiver. Terrible recovery speed.

Are you now able to conclude that also?
We really won’t know until he plays. Put him out there. At best he could the versatile secondary player who could play Lewis’s role. At worst he is just another 4th round dud. I just want to see him out there.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
"While RR attacks the run, his ability to do so is average."

He's not a good open field tackler. Scouting reports on him are sketchy due to small school, but it appears that he lacks burst and agility. That's why he's not playing ST's.

If he can't play on special teams in the future, his roster spot could be in jeopardy.

Carson

Reaction score

That's how I feel. I listed almost every player drafted in rounds 4-7 and everyone has been active, started or contributed minus a few guys who were injured [Bryce Hall]. So we drafted the only corner/ safety unable to do anything this year?

kskboys

Reaction score
We really won’t know until he plays. Put him out there. At best he could the versatile secondary player who could play Lewis’s role. At worst he is just another 4th round dud. I just want to see him out there.
Unless we can evaluate tape. Then we really do know.

I do agree we should play him. This season's lost anyway, might as well see if he can contribute in some way.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's a little heartening to me that McGovern seemed the same way, but when he finally was forced in, he looked okay. Not like a great player, but not like a total bust who doesn't belong on the field, either. And RR came from a much lower level of competition.