Regular season finally here, some thoughts!

quickccc

Reaction score
-Team made it through the off-season without major injuries. Except for a few players on short-term ir, they head into the season pretty healthy. Let's hope that continues throughout the season.

-Defense is be all about improving against the run and creating turnovers. If they still struggle stopping the run, we will see similar results. It is difficult for any defense to have to play the run/pass on 3rd and shorts and be able to get off the field. Get teams in obvious passing situations will be a recipe for success. Turnovers will come if they can get teams in these passing situations. It's time for Randy Gregory to arrive!!

-Offense has a lot to fix up, more so then many are talking about. Slow starts have killed this team since Moore became the OC. You cannot be successful if you are always playing from behind. Must improve their ability to finish drives, cannot have self-induced, drive killing penalties nor take sacks taking them out of scoring range. The Cowboy Offense under Dak last yr, lead the league in turnovers, that has to greatly improve to have any chance. OL must stay healthy as their is a huge drop-off, outside of McGovern. Time for CeeDee Lamb to become that alpha on our offense and Zeke to have a huge rebound season.

-I worry about our PK, missing almost the entire off-season. It's time to make our special teams more of a weapon, then one that was afraid to make any mistakes. Teams who are successful find ways to win in all three phases of the game.

I am caution opportunistic about this upcoming season. They have the talent to compete against all the top teams, but do they have the mental toughness to be able to overcome the difficult hurdles throughout a long season. Time will tell. Big season for MM.

Thanks for Sharing ...

- There's gonna be major problems on OL unit - our two OTs are not gonna make the season, ..and starting with Collins who already
needed to work back from hip surgery ..and now these neck stingers that linger ..and could even threaten his entire season.

- We've seen that happen suddenly with Tyron ... and how dependable are our backup reserve OTs ?
Steele ? who may be Chaz Green 2.0 ?
...37 yr old Nyseke ? ...and Knight who lacks strength and athleticism and didn't have a good preseason either.
And rookie Josh Ball is more of a developmental type than ready made game active.

- We saw how OTs play critical with the starting QB with the way the Bucs harrassed Pat Mahomes in the SB, en route to zero TDs in the SB.
But instead of preparing Conner Williams to step in as a sub at OT (where he excelled at UT) , OL coach Philibin was ampt for Williams to be utility center .
i've the feeling (and fear) our OT issues is gonna threaten to slow our offense ....:(

quickccc

Reaction score
-Team made it through the off-season without major injuries. Except for a few players on short-term ir, they head into the season pretty healthy. Let's hope that continues throughout the season.

-Defense is be all about improving against the run and creating turnovers. If they still struggle stopping the run, we will see similar results. It is difficult for any defense to have to play the run/pass on 3rd and shorts and be able to get off the field. Get teams in obvious passing situations will be a recipe for success. Turnovers will come if they can get teams in these passing situations. It's time for Randy Gregory to arrive!!

-Offense has a lot to fix up, more so then many are talking about. Slow starts have killed this team since Moore became the OC. You cannot be successful if you are always playing from behind. Must improve their ability to finish drives, cannot have self-induced, drive killing penalties nor take sacks taking them out of scoring range. The Cowboy Offense under Dak last yr, lead the league in turnovers, that has to greatly improve to have any chance. OL must stay healthy as their is a huge drop-off, outside of McGovern. Time for CeeDee Lamb to become that alpha on our offense and Zeke to have a huge rebound season.

-I worry about our PK, missing almost the entire off-season. It's time to make our special teams more of a weapon, then one that was afraid to make any mistakes. Teams who are successful find ways to win in all three phases of the game.

I am caution opportunistic about this upcoming season. They have the talent to compete against all the top teams, but do they have the mental toughness to be able to overcome the difficult hurdles throughout a long season. Time will tell. Big season for MM.

i didn't think the FG kicking was that great in '20,.. just hope when it comes to game winning deciding FGs , Greg Z delivers.
Funny how Cowboys can cut their long snapper and punter, but Greg Z. was untouchable when it came down to waivers .
i don't like risking Lamb on punt returns but Bones won't detour elsewhere

- i'm not always sure the slow starts are more on Kellen than it is on Dak Prescott ..it takes a bit to warm up. and it needs to be
faster starts vs the more competitive, defensive teams ..
Lamb gonna be used both slot and outside - i expect excellence from the receiving corp. Just dunno how that OL is gonna hold up.

- Defense is still a work in progress - dunno how a young DL rookies and 2nd year guys gonna hold up. Can it sustain thru out entire game ?
may take awhile for Dlaw to get back into form, no preseason, no contact practice
-Gregory may rep our only rush threat and i'm skeptical of interior rush.
-Gallimore is still developing
-and Osa even less experienced.
-Hill may not never hit the field and if off PUP, was he likely to be with zero camp, preseason, summer, and he's not the most experienced either.

- Parson and Neal may offer the most new promise but the DL has to pave the way, and expect some struggles in secondary, particularly confusion and
blown assignments. There was several moments where players were pointing and panicking about alignment and assignments in preseason
among starting members early on ...

JayFord

Reaction score
Health is key

if our starters can stay healthy for 14-17 games we can win around 10-12 games....now playoffs? im not sure how we do if we make it but anythings possoble

im not looking for a dominant or even good defense it just needs to be average if we can field a defense anywhere from 14-18 i think that'll help us greatly

but injuries are the big concern....if the team goes down like it did last year no fooling this team will go 3-14 we dont have nor does any team have the kind of depth to overcome the amount of injuries we dealt with last year

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i didn't think the FG kicking was that great in '20,.. just hope when it comes to game winning deciding FGs , Greg Z delivers.
Funny how Cowboys can cut their long snapper and punter, but Greg Z. was untouchable when it came down to waivers .
i don't like risking Lamb on punt returns but Bones won't detour elsewhere

- i'm not always sure the slow starts are more on Kellen than it is on Dak Prescott ..it takes a bit to warm up. and it needs to be
faster starts vs the more competitive, defensive teams ..
Lamb gonna be used both slot and outside - i expect excellence from the receiving corp. Just dunno how that OL is gonna hold up.

- Defense is still a work in progress - dunno how a young DL rookies and 2nd year guys gonna hold up. Can it sustain thru out entire game ?
may take awhile for Dlaw to get back into form, no preseason, no contact practice
-Gregory may rep our only rush threat and i'm skeptical of interior rush.
-Gallimore is still developing
-and Osa even less experienced.
-Hill may not never hit the field and if off PUP, was he likely to be with zero camp, preseason, summer, and he's not the most experienced either.

- Parson and Neal may offer the most new promise but the DL has to pave the way, and expect some struggles in secondary, particularly confusion and
blown assignments. There was several moments where players were pointing and panicking about alignment and assignments in preseason
among starting members early on ...

-I agree, Zuerline wasn't great last season, but he was handpicked by Fassell. Let's hope he doesn't struggle.
-Have to solve to slow starts and allow the defense to play ahead, not always from behind and need to play both run/pass.
-What I do know is, Osa is a far better run defender now, then both Gallimore/Hill. I aspect Parsons is going to be used a whole lot blitzing up the middle.
-I worry most about our secondary, very young, but have quality FS's for the first time in many years.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Thanks for Sharing ...

- There's gonna be major problems on OL unit - our two OTs are not gonna make the season, ..and starting with Collins who already
needed to work back from hip surgery ..and now these neck stingers that linger ..and could even threaten his entire season.

- We've seen that happen suddenly with Tyron ... and how dependable are our backup reserve OTs ?
Steele ? who may be Chaz Green 2.0 ?
...37 yr old Nyseke ? ...and Knight who lacks strength and athleticism and didn't have a good preseason either.
And rookie Josh Ball is more of a developmental type than ready made game active.

- We saw how OTs play critical with the starting QB with the way the Bucs harrassed Pat Mahomes in the SB, en route to zero TDs in the SB.
But instead of preparing Conner Williams to step in as a sub at OT (where he excelled at UT) , OL coach Philibin was ampt for Williams to be utility center .
i've the feeling (and fear) our OT issues is gonna threaten to slow our offense ....:(

Could be right, I was on drafting Slater just for this. Could start anywhere needed. Think drafting a Tackle will be #1 priority next season. I wouldn't discount Ball down the road, may thought he was going to be able to play right away. Him being ir, hurt his chances for this season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's still hard to believe that they were leading the league in passing yards by 300 yards over the 2nd place team in that category at the point Dak was injured.
- They did that with the majority of OT snaps being played by a rookie UDFA and 2nd year UDFA.
- This season they can overcome 1 injury to a starter but last season they lost both starting OTs for the season and Zack Martin plus the starting OC had injuries.

The biggest improvement that I noticed when reviewing the preseason games but the obviously impact of the new coaches on defense.
- Players, even rookies appeared to know their assignments better than at any time last season.
- Even in some good/great seasons, the preseasons often had a field full of players that looked lost.

I am concerned about the Tackles behind the starters. Martin appears to be the best answer, but they are reluctant to move him back there due to injury.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
We’re going to take our lumps and folks on this board will do what they do. The prize is the division. And we got as good a chance at winning it as any anybody. This is not going to be pretty. How will this team deal with adversity when it hits.
Health is definitely the key. And on defense Tank and Gregory have to be good. I always like our chances in the division. Anything else is gravy.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
What do you get when you cross Peyton Place Dark Shadows Hee Haw and the Twilight Zone? Winner gets a cookie.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
What does Moore need excuses for? He was leading the #1 offense in NFL history before Dak went down. In 2019 under Dak we averaged 27 points per game and in 2020 it was up to 32 points per game.
Do you miss Garrett's and his offense?:muttley:
Moore is already known as one of the best young OC's in football.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm skeptical. I don't think the last chapter of that book has been written yet.

quickccc

Reaction score
-I agree, Zuerline wasn't great last season, but he was handpicked by Fassell. Let's hope he doesn't struggle.
-Have to solve to slow starts and allow the defense to play ahead, not always from behind and need to play both run/pass.
-What I do know is, Osa is a far better run defender now, then both Gallimore/Hill. I aspect Parsons is going to be used a whole lot blitzing up the middle.
-I worry most about our secondary, very young, but have quality FS's for the first time in many years.

- i'm not sold on the FS's either just yet. Hooker is a process of trying to return to form -who knows how achilles tendon recovery will affect him ... or Kazee.
ex All pro Chiefs safety Eric Berry suffered the same type injury and never did recover; Kevin Smith suffered that type of injury ..never recovered .
i could use Crawford and Greg Ellis as success post- achilles success stories but is there a difference between DL vs DBs with that type of injury ?
DBs need that stop/re-start direction change more than any position on Defense.

- Osa has yet to play his first regular season game so i'm ready to anoint him as a prime run defender. we'll have to see what happens
once he's asked to play a full game and has to compete with top starters and the fatigue factor .

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
No curse just ineptness to move the ball esp against good defenses.
We've been watching the same movie for 4 seasons where we fail to score points early and often.
Once the defense lays back with a comfortable lead in prevent here come Dak-Friendly with false hopes and another Loss on the books!
How long do you want the defense to hang on when our offense leaves them out there scoreless????????????
There are numerous results that confirm the above.

Nope totally disagree with you.

We had this issue even when Garrett was coach and Romo was our QB. Stop trying to rewrite history. This is more on Garrett than on Prescott. The reason is his predictability. Run up the middle and 1st and 2nd down. Then throw a fade to Bryant. That was the only play that Garrett ran over and over.

The RPO was added into the playbook when Dak was here and he was given the greenlight to run the ball in the red zone. That's because of the lack of innovative playcalling by Garrett more than anything else.

This has nothing to do with Dak and more on bad coaching. You may hate Dak with a passion. Bu come on...put the blame where it's at. The blame goes to Garrett.

McCarthy may need another season or two to fix this mess.

Cmac

Reaction score
What does Moore need excuses for? He was leading the #1 offense in NFL history before Dak went down.

In 2019 under Dak we averaged 27 points per game and in 2020 it was up to 32 points per game.

Do you miss Garrett's and his offense?:muttley:

Moore is already known as one of the best young OC's in football.
A few say that......otherwise.....Can't tell. He ain't never out-schemed anyone. Stop it, just stop it.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Cowboy’s hype! Don’t tell me, just show me! They had a quarter century of telling me stories rooted in vanity! Win and if they can’t do that then say nothing.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope totally disagree with you.

We had this issue even when Garrett was coach and Romo was our QB. Stop trying to rewrite history. This is more on Garrett than on Prescott. The reason is his predictability. Run up the middle and 1st and 2nd down. Then throw a fade to Bryant. That was the only play that Garrett ran over and over.

The RPO was added into the playbook when Dak was here and he was given the greenlight to run the ball in the red zone. That's because of the lack of innovative playcalling by Garrett more than anything else.

This has nothing to do with Dak and more on bad coaching. You may hate Dak with a passion. Bu come on...put the blame where it's at. The blame goes to Garrett.

McCarthy may need another season or two to fix this mess.

just-one-more-time-miles-teller.gif

How long do you want the defense to hang on when our offense leaves them out there scoreless????????????
Dak needs to score from Quarters 1 thru 3!
Unless the rules of Football have changed he gets the ball back when the opposing offense scores!!!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- i'm not sold on the FS's either just yet. Hooker is a process of trying to return to form -who knows how achilles tendon recovery will affect him ... or Kazee.
ex All pro Chiefs safety Eric Berry suffered the same type injury and never did recover; Kevin Smith suffered that type of injury ..never recovered .
i could use Crawford and Greg Ellis as success post- achilles success stories but is there a difference between DL vs DBs with that type of injury ?
DBs need that stop/re-start direction change more than any position on Defense.

- Osa has yet to play his first regular season game so i'm ready to anoint him as a prime run defender. we'll have to see what happens
once he's asked to play a full game and has to compete with top starters and the fatigue factor .

Fair enough. Yes, the FS's are coming off of a major injury, but both when healthy have had a far better track record then former Cowboy Xavier Woods. I think they both possess natural instincts that the position requires, especially Hooker, but if they are unable physically to get to a spot, they won't be any different then Woods was the last few seasons. We have to see if they are still consistently around the football.

Coming into the league, Osa is the far better run defender then Gallimore. Both were playing out of position on the college level, but Osa showed he can consistently take on blockers and extremely difficult to move off a spot, despite his size. Will he be able to do that on the NFL Level? We shall find out as he will be given every chance to succeed, especially with both our other 3T's on ir.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Didn't read the whole thread but, Dak rust, CB's and DT. Oh, and O-line health.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
just-one-more-time-miles-teller.gif

Dak needs to score from Quarters 1 thru 3!
Unless the rules of Football have changed he gets the ball back when the opposing offense scores!!!

What defense? Our defense sucked. Even during when Garrett was here. We had one good year on defense and that was in 2018.

As you know Dak doesn't play defense. Defense is our biggest problem. Not Dak.