Regular season finally here, some thoughts!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
-Team made it through the off-season without major injuries. Except for a few players on short-term ir, they head into the season pretty healthy. Let's hope that continues throughout the season.

-Defense is be all about improving against the run and creating turnovers. If they still struggle stopping the run, we will see similar results. It is difficult for any defense to have to play the run/pass on 3rd and shorts and be able to get off the field. Get teams in obvious passing situations will be a recipe for success. Turnovers will come if they can get teams in these passing situations. It's time for Randy Gregory to arrive!!

-Offense has a lot to fix up, more so then many are talking about. Slow starts have killed this team since Moore became the OC. You cannot be successful if you are always playing from behind. Must improve their ability to finish drives, cannot have self-induced, drive killing penalties nor take sacks taking them out of scoring range. The Cowboy Offense under Dak last yr, lead the league in turnovers, that has to greatly improve to have any chance. OL must stay healthy as their is a huge drop-off, outside of McGovern. Time for CeeDee Lamb to become that alpha on our offense and Zeke to have a huge rebound season.

-I worry about our PK, missing almost the entire off-season. It's time to make our special teams more of a weapon, then one that was afraid to make any mistakes. Teams who are successful find ways to win in all three phases of the game.

I am caution opportunistic about this upcoming season. They have the talent to compete against all the top teams, but do they have the mental toughness to be able to overcome the difficult hurdles throughout a long season. Time will tell. Big season for MM.
I think the slow starts were due to Moore depending too much on the running game. With all the injuries on the OL last year and Zeke not at 100% they should’ve shifted their offense in a different direction. Bad coaching.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
just-one-more-time-miles-teller.gif

How long do you want the defense to hang on when our offense leaves them out there scoreless????????????
Dak needs to score from Quarters 1 thru 3!
Unless the rules of Football have changed he gets the ball back when the opposing offense scores!!!
Troll

Aven8

Reaction score
Just improve and look like a competent football team. And don’t turn the ball over please!!!!!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think the slow starts were due to Moore depending too much on the running game. With all the injuries on the OL last year and Zeke not at 100% they should’ve shifted their offense in a different direction. Bad coaching.
Whatever the issue has been, they need to fix it or they will continue to play uphill which isn't a recipe for success.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the unknowns they started the preseason with are still there and we're not going to know about this team until we are at least 1/4 of the way into the real season.

Will the OL be a top 5? 10? or even 15? It's not just health that is a ?, it is age and talent level of non 1st round picks.

The knowns of the RB's and WRs and TE's, to a degree, help but if the QB has to run too much to escape the rush, that could be a large problem.

Can they run the ball when they need to run it? It's not about a 40M QB and his WR's, it's about that run game.

Are the FA's and draft picks enough to get the defense to average? The DL is unknown and the secondary is a real unknown, the LBs could be the strength of the defense which isn't bad if the DL can at least occupy 4 of the OL for longer than a one count.

Then there is the question of health because this team is not a team of depth and injuries on that OL or secondary can tailspin the season.

I think some are putting too much on a DC that didn't improve the D he was hired to do in ATL. He is an improvement but is he the answer?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
yes health and defense will be important but people tend to gloss over a couple of other very important elements

slow starts : this is on Dak and Moore

turnovers : this is on Dak and Zeke

third down conversions : on Dak and Zeke
Daks refusal to run early in games is ridiculous.