Relevance instead of Excellence?

MagicMan

Reaction score
I know that I posted this in another thread but I thought it might deserve it's oven thread because it isn't specific to any 1 player. Let the blasting and commiseration begin.

I think the NFL is protecting the cowboys from themselves.... Man I hate the thought of bringing him back. I've been a loyal fan of this franchise for 40 years. I stuck with them thru the bad years without a 2nd thought but I don't know how much more of this I can take as a fan. It isn't the record. Every team goes thru it and all i ask is that we fight to make it better. It's the decision making. I'm not a fan of Sam and I'm disgusted with the thought of bringing Brent back. These are not the actions of someone who has the best interest of the football team in mind. These ARE the actions of someone who has become a victim of his own entertainment business model. I know, cue all the "Well... bye!" or "go root for some other team then!" or some other such drivel. I was a fan when the Cowboys helped build the brand that is the current NFL brand with Staubach, Dosett, Pearson, Thrill HIll, etc. and I've been a devout fan longer than most people on this board have been alive. Yes I know they had "Hollywood" Henderson as well but I remember, even as a kid, knowing that his lifestyle was wrong (and he will tell you the same today). You didn't have any guarantee's even as a great talent and Brent is not a great talent. Sam is not a great talent. And we've become a media "harlot" for lack of a better term and I'm not sure how much longer I want to sell myself to a team that strives for "relevance" instead of "excellence".

Very good points made by you......I agree in that lately Jethro has made clear to the public that he at least wants to just be relevant. Which is a far cry from 1996 when the continued strive for excellence existed. Every passing year, the bar has been set lower and lower and now we come to 2014 with the bar lower than a snake's belly. Bringing in Sam is the kind of distraction Jerry needs to take the full attention off of this pathetic defense and possibly the Jason Garrett drumbeat that will develope as the L's pile up.
I also think it is a byproduct of his failure to get Manziel and now picked up the 2nd most talked about person in the past draft. And I am also sure it was not a unanimous decision by the FO-----with Jerry winning out this time.

Some on this board think Sam is a player because he was co-defensive player in the SEC. Heck, Manziel WON the Heisman his freshman year and those same people think he can't play NFL football. So that dog don't hunt. That star on the helmet should be replaced with an asterisk for this year, considering many of this team certainly will not even be in the league for long. The brand is cheapened and it reminds me of the Campo years, not the early Johnson years. At least in the Johnson years, there was a plan in place and progress made for excellence. The "process" that Jerry and Garrett talk about is more for relevance. Major difference.

rcaldw

Reaction score
I understand your disgust. It has something to do with the players involved, but much more to do with what comes out of the owner's mouth that tells you exactly what he is thinking about. He wants his team to remain relevant and yet he doesn't seem to understand what made us MOST relevant for the 25 year winning streak under Landry, and during the revival of the 90's (WINNING). When Jones puts himself front and center we crash. He has given his most candid remarks to date regarding Jimmy Johnson when he was asked about the ring of honor. Johnson returned the favor and told us all exactly what he thinks of Jones. The decline started when Johnson departed and it has never fully bounced back. "We did it our way baby" (1995) means more to Jones than the previous two that they won. He still doesn't understand that 1995 was a victory on the fumes of what was created in the years that preceded it. He says it would scare us to know what he would pay for another Super Bowl. My hunch, having listened to him, is that winning that Super Bowl is a lot more about an affirmation of Jerry Jones than anything else. All you have to know about this guy is to reflect on the history of the team and its advertising. When we have had the glitzy players who always ends up in the advertising with them? Remember the Deion commercials? The owner is a narcissist.

Dodger12

Reaction score
In order to believe either of these moves were made with relevance in mind, rather than improving the team in mind, you'd have to believe that neither or these players are likely to upgrade the quality of play on the field. In Brent's case, in my mind at least, there's very little doubt that he represents a potential upgrade. And if you listened to JG's press conference this morning, you'd understand that the team's public motivations in his regard are good ones with the best interests of both the team and Brent's and Brown's families in mind. You may not see it the same way the team does, which is your prerogative, but I don't see any good reason to doubt their sincerity in this case just because other people might have a legitimate but differing perspective on how the situation ought to be viewed.

In the case of Michael Sam, I'm a little more dubious. Even so, he was a notable performer in the preseason with undeniable college production at a position of significant need. If there's a pr-element to picking him up, he also makes some sense as a PS player. Especially with us playing the Rams here early in the season. There are other players I think I'd prefer we put on the practice squad long-term (specifically, I was hoping for a few of the WRs we had here in camp), but I'm not too worked up about giving a DE with some big-play potential hanging around for a few weeks.

I can agree with a lot of this. I know folks will bag on Brent but he paid his dues and he should have the chance to play again if the opportunity presents itself. Now, one can argue if two years incarceration is enough for taking a man's life with his actions but that's another argument all together. I want this guy to succeed and hope he does right by the Brown family if/when he does. I bet you he will but that's just a guess.
As for Sam, I'm just not sold. His orientation should have no bearing on a team's decision to keep him on the roster or PS. Unfortunately, I truly believe that the media attention was a real consideration for Jerry. I think Jerry will sell a ton of "Sam" jerseys, just as the Rams did. The circus has already started with a press conference to announce the signing of a practice squad player. have we seen this before? What's the purpose if not for the media attention? Is it really about football or Sam's ability or upside which can be developed on the PS?

Also, take this to the bank. Sometime this season, Sam will be activated and see playing time. It'll be the dog and pony show of all the pre-game networks. I just want football and winning football games; Jerry wants the attention and the relevance that attention will bring. It's going to be a long season........

Dodger12

Reaction score
Some on this board think Sam is a player because he was co-defensive player in the SEC. Heck, Manziel WON the Heisman his freshman year and those same people think he can't play NFL football. So that dog don't hunt. That star on the helmet should be replaced with an asterisk for this year, considering many of this team certainly will not even be in the league for long. The brand is cheapened and it reminds me of the Campo years, not the early Johnson years. At least in the Johnson years, there was a plan in place and progress made for excellence. The "process" that Jerry and Garrett talk about is more for relevance. Major difference.

Wow, great point and I wish I could give your post more "likes." I wonder how many of these folks supporting Sam's signing and pointing to his DPOY completely dismissed Manziel when the Cowboys passed on him.

Again, great point.......

illhurtya

Reaction score
I would surmise that without some assemblence of excellence, you're not truely relevant. I'd say that right now the Cowboys are neither relevant nor excellent.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Also, take this to the bank. Sometime this season, Sam will be activated and see playing time. It'll be the dog and pony show of all the pre-game networks. I just want football and winning football games; Jerry wants the attention and the relevance that attention will bring. It's going to be a long season........
Probably when we're about 2-4 or so and about to play a Sunday or Monday night game...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For years, Terrell Owens worked hard in undermining a favorable relationship between himself and the media. Trying to equate media scrutiny for Owens with media scrutiny for Michael Sam is a very very very (did I say very?) farfetched assumption on anyone's part. Methinks there are differing definitions for media scrutiny. I really do think Owens would be offended.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
It's more about entertainment, *********, secret sauce, and party buses than winning.

dal_a_garrett_jones_288v.jpg
article-2599398-1CEB922200000578-136_634x433.jpg

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
"Commitment to Relevance"

I can see this painted in the hallways of the Dallas Front office with Coach Jones walking by in his powder blue jumpsuit.

And drink in hand
"Commitment to Relevance"

I can see this painted in the hallways of the Dallas Front office with Coach Jones walking by in his powder blue jumpsuit.

And drink in hand

jerry-jones-french-quarter.jpg

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some on this board think Sam is a player because he was co-defensive player in the SEC. Heck, Manziel WON the Heisman his freshman year and those same people think he can't play NFL football.
Honestly, neither award has anything to do with how good either player will be in the NFL.