Remaining moves I would make

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I know we shouldn't expect a ton of spending and a lot of moves but I think there are a few moves we could make that would take us to the draft in a nice position.

1. Cut or trade Morris and re-sign Mcfadden. I just think Mcfadden is the superior talent and is a better fit for what we need.

2. Sign Aaron Williams Safety. His injury problems should mean a small prove it type of deal. If he can play and put his neck problems behind him it would be a major coup. If not, you haven't lost much.

3. Re-sign Claiborne. I would rather have a part time B+ player that misses time due to injury than a C- player that is always healthy.

4. Re-sign Jonathan Cooper. He gives some flexibility and could be the key to the most major upgrade possible to the team. If he could become the Guard everyone thought he was coming out of college and Collins or Martin move to RT then you have got a huge upgrade over what was already a great O-line.

None of these moves should break the bank. Each is a low-risk/high reward scenario.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I know we shouldn't expect a ton of spending and a lot of moves but I think there are a few moves we could make that would take us to the draft in a nice position.

1. Cut or trade Morris and re-sign Mcfadden. I just think Mcfadden is the superior talent and is a better fit for what we need.

2. Sign Aaron Williams Safety. His injury problems should mean a small prove it type of deal. If he can play and put his neck problems behind him it would be a major coup. If not, you haven't lost much.

3. Re-sign Claiborne. I would rather have a part time B+ player that misses time due to injury than a C- player that is always healthy.

4. Re-sign Jonathan Cooper. He gives some flexibility and could be the key to the most major upgrade possible to the team. If he could become the Guard everyone thought he was coming out of college and Collins or Martin move to RT then you have got a huge upgrade over what was already a great O-line.

None of these moves should break the bank. Each is a low-risk/high reward scenario.

Pretty much exactly where I am on this. Wouldn't mind a look at Clady as well, but not sure about his health.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
If we do resign Mo to a new contract, I hope it's not a lengthy one.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't even mind a lengthy one if was structured the way Sean Lee's deal was.
For me, he's just too injury prone, and only had one pretty good season, this past year. IMO, the contract either needs to be short or heavily incentive based.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
so lets sign some more injury prone players how about moving on with players that will be on the field to play I agree with move on morris

In the cases of SS, CB and OL

I wouldn't stop with these signings. I would draft one of each and preferably early. Within the first 4 rounds.

These moves aren't meant to finalize the roster. Just to provide low cost/high reward possibilities.

robjay04

Reaction score
I would rather have Carr, he excelled last season when he switched sides.

I rather have a B player that never even misses a practice than a B+ player that you're lucky if he plays half a season.

The rest of your list is good though. I would also sign Ware. Our DL needs a leader, I know Ware isn't a vocal leader but he leads by example.

I made a prediction that we sign Logan, Ware and Patterson...I doubt Patterson but I would still love Logan and Ware.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
we're drafting a corner very early so I don't see why we'd want the new corner to be a backup, unlesssssssssss it's the guy in my avatar who would impact the game in other ways. Other than that, signing Carr or Mo doesn't make sense to me. Anthony Brown can play, Scandrick is the slot starter and Carroll isn't going anywhere.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
we're drafting a corner very early so I don't see why we'd want the new corner to be a backup, unlesssssssssss it's the guy in my avatar who would impact the game in other ways. Other than that, signing Carr or Mo doesn't make sense to me. Anthony Brown can play, Scandrick is the slot starter and Carroll isn't going anywhere.

I'm not so sure I want Brown as my starter. If he was Claibornes backup he would get playing time and eventually become the starter.

Shoot if Brown becomes good enough to beat out Claiborne then I am fine with having Claiborne as a backup too. It's an important position that should have assets devoted to it plus with Scandricks contract I would be looking to move on from him probably as early as next year.

robjay04

Reaction score

That's 3 corners, we need at least 5 guys that can play. Anthony Brown was our fourth guy last season---it didn't take long until he was in the starting lineup. Scandrick can be labeled injury prone at this point. I know he had a serious injury but would you bet money he will last 16 games? He's getting up there in age.

If we can sign Mo or Carr to a reasonable short term contract, it would make our team better, especially when the inevitable injuries happen to our secondary. We need more coverage guys, I wouldn't be surprised if we let Church and Wilcox walk just because they don't fit what we want in a defense. When we go nickel, which may be a lot then we want 5 good coverage guys on the field. Right now, we only have 6 defensive backs on our roster unless I'm forgetting someone.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's 3 corners, we need at least 5 guys that can play. Anthony Brown was our fourth guy last season---it didn't take long until he was in the starting lineup. Scandrick can be labeled injury prone at this point. I know he had a serious injury but would you bet money he will last 16 games? He's getting up there in age.

If we can sign Mo or Carr to a reasonable short term contract, it would make our team better, especially when the inevitable injuries happen to our secondary. We need more coverage guys, I wouldn't be surprised if we let Church and Wilcox walk just because they don't fit what we want in a defense. When we go nickel, which may be a lot then we want 5 good coverage guys on the field. Right now, we only have 6 defensive backs on our roster unless I'm forgetting someone.

We have 7 DB's, since they signed Carroll. With Church and Wilcox gone, S also becomes a bigger factor than CB.
But still, If mo or Carr can return, even if on a one year contract, I would feel much better about our CB situation. And then they can still get a CB in the draft, but doesn't need to be a 1st or 2nd, since the draft is deep in DB's.

We also have 3 DB's signed on as Reserve / Futures contracts. 4 if you count Jameil Showers as one instead of a QB. Also another, but I seen him listed as on RF and as a FA in josh Thomas.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
That still doesn't address DE. Though we're likely to draft one, based on where we pick there is a low probability we will find an instant difference maker. I'm still very interested in bringing back Ware on a deal similar to Julius Peppers.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
We need a vet safety on a 1-2 year type deal and we need to draft one early.

CWR

Reaction score

I think you're on the money here. The only addition I would add is a DE of substance, but at this point I have no faith in that happening.

Ware as a situational pass rusher would be nice.

Carson

Reaction score
We need a vet safety on a 1-2 year type deal and we need to draft one early.

I think they are going to roll with Heath and Frazier.

Heath is probably the biggest ballhawk we've seen at safety in long long time.