Remember how excited you got when a new Dallas Cowboys Weekly came out back in the day

foofighters

Reaction score
I made a reference to this in someone else's post but I thought some of you may be able to relate. I remember back in the 90's rushing to the 7-11 when The Dallas Cowboys Weekly came out and I would go to my favorite sandwich shop called Cuco's in North Richland Hills and read it cover to cover while I had my food.

Man, I was loving life back then when it came to our Cowboys! Just savoring every page. Jerry should be ashamed how he has run things into the ground because of his EGO and Pride...
I was too busy running around the girls dorms back then...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I made a reference to this in someone else's post but I thought some of you may be able to relate. I remember back in the 90's rushing to the 7-11 when The Dallas Cowboys Weekly came out and I would go to my favorite sandwich shop called Cuco's in North Richland Hills and read it cover to cover while I had my food.

Man, I was loving life back then when it came to our Cowboys! Just savoring every page. Jerry should be ashamed how he has run things into the ground because of his EGO and Pride...

I got mine in the mail, and yeah, before the Internet gave us everything at our fingertips, it was a great source of information. Seeing it in the mailbox was a Little bit of Christmas morning each time.

landryscorner

Reaction score
Memories...before I retired I was in Allensville, GA stationed at FT. Stewart and man I would just wait and wait for the next issue....I still have them this was back in 92

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I still have mine with the big star after the Superbowl win. Michael Irvin rookie Emmitt Smith rookie Edition.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
I remember waiting for it Thursdays during nonschool weeks. I lived on the outskirts of a small West Texas town and could see the postman driving down the dirt roads headed to my house with it. It stayed in the mailbox maybe 20 seconds before I grabbed it and read it cover-to-cover. The other publication that I loved was Dave Cambell's Dallas Cowboys magazine. It always came out right around the start of training camp, as I recall, and I would have the thing memorized after a few days. Was always bugging the local news stand lady asking her if it had come out yet.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I got mine in the mail, and yeah, before the Internet gave us everything at our fingertips, it was a great source of information. Seeing it in the mailbox was a Little bit of Christmas morning each time.
It was actually better than the internet in its lack of negativity. Oh, back to a simpler time, when it seemed like all was right with the Dallas Cowboys......or maybe it was because the team was so much better.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Used to look forward to it every week.
I still have my 1978 super bowl champion copy

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I remember reading it in Japan where there was little football info before the internet. Never really had much inside info or insight but it was better than nothing.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I’m in the DC area, and while we didn’t have that, I remember the annual magazines publishing their predictions for the season with a team by team breakdown, including the draft picks. My brother and I would run to the shelf and turn straight to the pages on the Cowboys with excitement.

I don’t know if it was just bring young or what, but I think part of that era is we weren’t inundated with information all the time, so when football season was over, it was over. So we savored everything then.
I remember those - Lindys, Athlon, Football Digest ect.

And before when I was about 10 - my only source was buying the newspaper and pouring over the box scores - that and Monday Night Football for the halftime high lites.

Then came DC weekly - I was in heaven.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prior to the Internet I lived for the Dallas Cowboys Weekly. I subscribed to the paper in the summer of 1989. Jerry taking over the Cowboys and bringing in Jimmy had me stoked! My very first issue of Dallas Cowboys Weekly is the one I have attached from August 19, 1989. Still have a big pile of them stored away in my closet. My eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store every time I saw one in my mailbox. Living in California it was the only way I could keep up with the Cowboys. Once the Internet took off and fan boards like this came along I discontinued my subscription. It’s become so easy finding news on the Cowboys these days online that the Dallas Cowboys Weekly eventually lost its luster.
nEBiO4.jpg
Yep. Times changed. That's why the Weekly was discontinued, not Jerry. I'm sure they started losing money on the publication due to new technology (internet). Star Magazine never lived up to the DC Weekly. It was really well-written. There will probably never be anything else like it.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was actually better than the internet in its lack of negativity. Oh, back to a simpler time, when it seemed like all was right with the Dallas Cowboys......or maybe it was because the team was so much better.
We actually had some pretty down years during the DC Weekly, but most of it was during the Landry/Schramm/Brandt era and I admit that, no matter the record, it always felt like we were in good hands. Good ole days.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Absolutely remember those days. Was a long time subscriber. When I was in Desert Storm back then, I looked so forward to getting the Weekly, but it never showed up.

Same here, but in my case the postal units stole them or lost them.

The thing I thought of was when I was in Bosnia in 98 I was at McGovern with about 1200 troops in 1ID. We had a patrol so I went into the postal guys to grab my copy ahead of time and ended up picking through at least 15 copies before I found the one with my name on it. It was funny, it was like half the basecamp had a subscription.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Definitely a different time. The attitude back then was that the writer was also a fan of the team. Now the attitude is "I'm so smart I can trash the team and get a TV spot because of it".

willia451

Reaction score
Dating myself, but I started getting the weekly in 1977. I was in middle school in Georgia and we lived out in the sticks. I would rush home from school hoping it had come that day. I had to walk half a mile from school to my Dad's general store. And would ask him if it had come. The days it had, he would pull it out from behind the counter and hand it to me. He knew what was coming. I would grab it and rush across the street to the pizza place and order a 9 inch pizza and chocolate ice cream. Sit there and eat and read it front to back.

I would then take it with me back home after our store closed and put it in its honored place in my room. In front of a magnetic NFL standings board my Dad had bought me to keep track of where the teams stood. Which I got from the weekly. Each week I tracked where the cowboys were in their division. That was back when the Cardinals were still in the NFCE. I hated them. They were always the toughest for us to beat. No matter how much they sucked.

We only got 3 channels out there where we lived. But come Sunday the Cowboys were always one of the teams featured. And I lit two oil candles when they came on. And held the Weekly tight hoping they would win. I still remember the cover of the Weekly with Hollywood Henderson's devastated face on the cover when they lost to the Steelers in SB XIII.

But I always thought one day, I will get to go to Texas Stadium and see the Cowboys play in a real game. Would something like that ever be possible for me?

And I finally did get to do that much later in life. I remember my first game there back in 2004 after a lifetime of trying to get there. Or hoping someday I would be able too. I almost passed out. I thought, is this real? It was like a miracle.

Now Texas Stadium is gone. And so are the glory days. I'm sad to see them go. But everything changes. Maybe the Cowboys will be great again one day.

I hope so.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Same here, but in my case the postal units stole them or lost them.

The thing I thought of was when I was in Bosnia in 98 I was at McGovern with about 1200 troops in 1ID. We had a patrol so I went into the postal guys to grab my copy ahead of time and ended up picking through at least 15 copies before I found the one with my name on it. It was funny, it was like half the basecamp had a subscription.
:thumbup:I was actually on a ship and had zero contact with the outside world. The Weekly was my sole source of info.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dating myself, but I started getting the weekly in 1977. I was in middle school in Georgia and we lived out in the sticks. I would rush home from school hoping it had come that day. I had to walk half a mile from school to my Dad's general store. And would ask him if it had come. The days it had, he would pull it out from behind the counter and hand it to me. He knew what was coming. I would grab it and rush across the street to the pizza place and order a 9 inch pizza and chocolate ice cream. Sit there and eat and read it front to back.

I would then take it with me back home after our store closed and put it in its honored place in my room. In front of a magnetic NFL standings board my Dad had bought me to keep track of where the teams stood. Which I got from the weekly. Each week I tracked where the cowboys were in their division. That was back when the Cardinals were still in the NFCE. I hated them. They were always the toughest for us to beat. No matter how much they sucked.

We only got 3 channels out there where we lived. But come Sunday the Cowboys were always one of the teams featured. And I lit two oil candles when they came on. And held the Weekly tight hoping they would win. I still remember the cover of the Weekly with Hollywood Henderson's devastated face on the cover when they lost to the Steelers in SB XIII.

But I always thought one day, I will get to go to Texas Stadium and see the Cowboys play in a real game. Would something like that ever be possible for me?

And I finally did get to do that much later in life. I remember my first game there back in 2004 after a lifetime of trying to get there. Or hoping someday I would be able too. I almost passed out. I thought, is this real? It was like a miracle.

Now Texas Stadium is gone. And so are the glory days. I'm sad to see them go. But everything changes. Maybe the Cowboys will be great again one day.

I hope so.
Excellent post!