Remember when Alex Smith couldn't lead his talented 49ers to the Super Bowl?

visionary

Reaction score
At the time I said they just needed a play maker at QB to get them over the hump, the bus driver is holding them back. Well AT THE TIME Kaepernick was the guy to do so and he helped get them there.

I fear this is what we're going to find ourselves in, but without the QB change to ever give us a chance to compete. How many more years can we afford to waste, assuming we don't make it to the final game? Let's say we fall short again in 2019, are you all ready to find a guy to take the offense one step further while we still have all pro talent surrounding this position?

I’ve said it before and will repeat here

Pair a conservative average QB with a conservative average HC and give them a very talented team and you’ll make the playoffs but not win a SB

Unfortunately our owner only cares about being “relevant” so he can keep selling false hope to cowboy fans

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we got outcoached. everyone who knows the Cowboys saw it coming.

WE ARE OUT-COACHED .

Before last season started, nobody on this site would have taken Dallas’ talent over the Rams’. It was a regular comment in offseason free agency threads that they had a better team than we did to start and then added Marcus Peters, then Suh, then Brandin Cooks.

Give them home field advantage. An extra week to prepare. The Cowboys come in with a player who’s widely considered a mediocre QB—at best—and come within a 4th and 1 from the Rams’ 35 of possibly thing the game up in the 4th quarter and what’s the obvious conclusion?We were outcoached. Right.

How ‘bout we convert our 4th and 1 with all the resources we devote to be running game and not worry about the coaching so much? Or how bout we stop either Jared Goff or CJ Spiller on fourth down (4th and goal for Spiller) half way through the fourth quarter and make it easier on ourselves? Maybe Garrett or Marinelli ought to have snuck out there on goal line and just “coached ‘me up!” a bit. Maybe then we’d have won.

Give me a break. This game is all about the players executing when it matters most. Always has been, always is going to be. It’s just the fans, in retrospect, who second guess the decision making when they don’t get the outcomes they want—even if the outcome they wanted was unlikely to start with.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Before last season started, nobody on this site would have taken Dallas’ talent over the Rams’. It was a regular comment in offseason free agency threads that they had a better team than we did to start and then added Marcus Peters, then Suh, then Brandin Cooks.

Give them home field advantage. An extra week to prepare. The Cowboys come in with a player who’s widely considered a mediocre QB—at best—and come within a 4th and 1 from the Rams’ 35 of possibly thing the game up in the 4th quarter and what’s the obvious conclusion?We were outcoached. Right.

How ‘bout we convert our 4th and 1 with all the resources we devote to be running game and not worry about the coaching so much? Or how bout we stop either Jared Goff or CJ Spiller on fourth down (4th and goal for Spiller) half way through the fourth quarter and make it easier on ourselves? Maybe Garrett or Marinelli ought to have snuck out there on goal line and just “coached ‘me up!” a bit. Maybe then we’d have won.

Give me a break. This game is all about the players executing when it matters most. Always has been, always is going to be. It’s just the fans, in retrospect, who second guess the decision making when they don’t get the outcomes they want—even if the outcome they wanted was unlikely to start with.

ok and we are back to this. its either thhe players or the coaches. so you are on board with saying McClay is not bringing in talented players.

the players also make Garrett abandon teh run, not make adjustments, plays to his opponents and not have players prepared. its the players making coachig mistakes?

you will find WAY more issues with Garrett than the players excuting.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ok and we are back to this. its either thhe players or the coaches. so you are on board with saying McClay is not bringing in talented players.

the players also make Garrett abandon teh run, not make adjustments, plays to his opponents and not have players prepared. its the players making coachig mistakes?

I didn’t say any such thing.

I said the Rams had a more talented team than we did in 2018, and everybody knew it up until we played them. And then suddenly the argument flipped to “we were outcoached.”

We don’t “abandon the run,” lol. We also make adjustments and play prepared. I don’t know where you get this stuff but you can’t support it. But it doesn’t change the fact that most games in the NFL come down to players executing. Which is why—even with a salary cap on players and none on coaches—great players make three or four times what great coaches make when it comes time for owners to write the checks that show who really gets the credit for wins and losses.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Over an hour now and he still hasn’t responded to your question.

@InTheZone
At work, sorry some of us aren't retired. Says a lot about yourself if you're trying to call me out on something petty.

And this isn't about one game so lets stay on track with a common issue with the offense.

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score

:laugh:
You are wasting your time with him
He never takes a position but continues to argue both sides
Save your breath

InTheZone

Reaction score
9ers shoulda kept Alex Smith and ditched the other dude.
True, but in that one season Kaepernick got them over the hump, the piece they needed. I'm not talking about afterwards, but that one season when they still had everything working in their favor.

Seattle had a young talented team and made it, we failed with the same window. 49ers had a young team with a bus driver but couldn't quite get there. They made a qb change and got to the big game before everything fell apart. We need to see how 2019 works for us, but if it doesn't we could miss our opportunity. And we blew another possible chance in 2016. I'm tired of missing these opportunities.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Save your breath

What could you *possibly* be thinking to try to make the point that I never take a position?!? Sometimes I wonder if you bother to think at all about your arguments before you decide to post them. The entire site pretty much disagrees with my position on Garrett, and they have for years.

And my take has never changed. Mostly because I happen to have been right all along. I’ve also consistently made the point that it’s players who win football games and that the role of coaches in the NFL is overrated by most fans. Which is why @ShiningStar replied to me above “ok and we are back to this.” Only we’re not back to it. We never left it.

You really need to try harder to post better things, dude. It’s pretty bad.

jnday

Reaction score
What about Zeke? Where was he vs the Rams?
The Rams was smart enough to key in on Zeke and stop the running game. That should have worked out fine because Dak should have torched them through the air off of play-action passes. My question is where was the rest of the team including the defense? An accurate pass game should have carved the Rams defense apart when opposing defenses key in on the running game.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
The Rams was smart enough to key in on Zeke and stop the running game. That should have worked out fine because Dak should have torched them through the air off of play-action passes. My question is where was the rest of the team including the defense? An accurate pass game should have carved the Rams defense apart when opposing defenses key in on the running game.

this is what i am talking about when i say outcoached. now im not blaming just the coaches and lets look at that the fact that one coach got fired when 2 should have. KR did ok but finised flat. Ok, that happens, what he and Lal brought to the team, i liked.

however all the same mistakes done on the field, are the same ones we keep seeing, different players, same bad mistakes. i would be happy if Garrett at least tried something different and lost, fine at least he tried. he watched all day as the Rams played their game and said to himself, "the tortise will win"

GMO415

Reaction score
Funny, I don't recall Dak playing defense that got shredded by CJ Anderson. What position does Dak play again?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So when he put like 45 on Indy but the D couldn’t stop a nose bleed it was because they needed a better QB? Alrightythen

Little Jr

Reaction score
Save your breath
I've never agreed with Idgit, but when it comes to JG, his position has always been the same. No matter how wrong he is, he has never took both sides of that subject. I'll give him that.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The guy not named Alex Smith who kept
Fumbling the ball away, certainly didn’t help.

DFWJC

Reaction score
At the time I said they just needed a play maker at QB to get them over the hump, the bus driver is holding them back. Well AT THE TIME Kaepernick was the guy to do so and he helped get them there.

I fear this is what we're going to find ourselves in, but without the QB change to ever give us a chance to compete. How many more years can we afford to waste, assuming we don't make it to the final game? Let's say we fall short again in 2019, are you all ready to find a guy to take the offense one step further while we still have all pro talent surrounding this position?
Kaeps success that year was the temporary curve ball that his legs brought to the game.

Dak > Kaep

kskboys

Reaction score

Dak has already proven to be a good late game player. Pretty much not the same.