Twitter: Report: Antwaun Woods Expected To Re-sign Soon

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
With all that fire power we have (I'm team 40 burger) our front 7 just needs to pin their ears back and go get the QB. Teams will be in clear passing downs by halftime :laugh:
One would think teams would run to slow the rush.

Especially with the LBers being on such thin ice. Hunter we have no clue and Lee we have no clue and now they want to move Smith to outside.

That is a very different deployment.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
really? ..who else is there to compete with Woods as the backup 1 tech guy ?
Hill and Gallimore are more 3 tech types ..and should Poe get dinged and hurt and out, we're back to just Woods now.
but when you have backup- rotation types, you generally have serviceable decent types such as Woods,
:eek:

Trystan Hill? :laugh: Also the versatile Tyrone Crawford. :laugh:

I think the 1 tech vs. 3 tech is actually over blown. Now there are new terms. instead of a DE , now they refer to them as an EDGE player. Now I see DPR...designated pass rusher.
They talk versatility all the time. These guys need to be versatile, such as Crawford supposedly is.
Football basics 101. Get 2 good DT's and line them up to play. Put 2 DE's on the field and line them up. Let them play 1 or 3, pass or run.

Yes I know, specialty players for the new offenses. Well, basic football still the same. Put the best 11 out there on defense, as they also preach that too.

Is Woods one of the best top 10 DL? Who knows, let them compete. If they only keep 4 DT's as been eluded too, I think Woods is a bubble player. As Crawford can play in and out. Will they give up on Hill that quickly?

Poe, McCoy, Gallimore, Crawford, Hill, Woods. 2 of the last 3 will make it, unless they keep 5 and 11 on the DL total.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldnt have minded keeping him at that price. Even still bringing in McCoy. I just dont know how he would have done outside a Tampa 2 style front
Yes, 1 year at 6M would be a good deal for the team.

His #1 issue was injuries. He commendably played through injury and only missed 3 games in 4 years; however, his performance was greatly reduced when he was playing through injury.

As you said, his fit in the new scheme would also be a question mark. Marinelli's scheme was designed to make the 3tech DT the top pass rushing threat (I'm not joking). I don't think Marinelli expected the 3tech to have more sacks than the DEs but his goal was to have the 3tech be the most consistent pressure player.

Marinelli's scheme fell apart in 2019 and in the 2018 playoff loss to the Rams because it failed against zone running teams. The top reason for that failure was how Marinelli used the 3tech DT. The scheme had the 3tech (Collins) taking himself out of the area in run defense with minimal blocking needed for the defense to clear him out. That was a big part of the reason that zone running teams consistently got 2 OL out to block LBs.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Nick Eatman on this week's Cowboys Break (50 minute mark) said the team did issue an Exclusive Rights tender to Antwaun Woods, who simply has not signed it yet.

Woods told Eatman back in February he was looking for a long term deal (3 yrs, $10M), but he has no leverage. He can sign the tender or not play football in 2020.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Nick Eatman on this week's Cowboys Break (50 minute mark) said the team did issue an Exclusive Rights tender to Antwaun Woods, who simply has not signed it yet.

Woods told Eatman back in February he was looking for a long term deal (3 yrs, $10M), but he has no leverage. He can sign the tender or not play football in 2020.

I would think hard about giving Woods a 3 year contract with a good signing bonus but minimum salaries over the next three years. If your current guys don't develop he could be the starter, if they do develop you would have a very tradeable commodity if Woods was playing in those last two years for the minimum.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I liked Woods, he showed something, but not great, but seemed to have regressed last year. Not sure if from injuries, or the scheme / staff as they seemed to change also for the worse.
But this years he has much better competition to make the team.
Who didn’t regress last year on this team. Honestly lol

kskboys

Reaction score
I would think hard about giving Woods a 3 year contract with a good signing bonus but minimum salaries over the next three years. If your current guys don't develop he could be the starter, if they do develop you would have a very tradeable commodity if Woods was playing in those last two years for the minimum.
As long as he's at a low salary, he's tradeable, though you wouldn't get much.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Awesome. Now we can use him in the role that he should've been in from a start, a quality rotational player.
Im having a really hard time not understanding why nobody is understanding this, maybe I give more credit then deserving on talent evaluation to the common fan base?
Help me here...lol

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Your plenty = you being a mouth drooling Homer
Who knows, but I at least try and keep clear vision, and I can talk talent evaluation all day,, you want to go there we can, but it will take a lot of pages...lol

kskboys

Reaction score
Im having a really hard time not understanding why nobody is understanding this, maybe I give more credit then deserving on talent evaluation to the common fan base?
Help me here...lol
I have two lines of thought on here.

1. Fans tend to overrate players on their own team.
2. The DT position on this team has been so bad for so long, a player who is just decent such as Woods looks really good.

The sad part is that our own team fell for this crapp w/ Crawford. Our DT's had sucked for so long, they fell for thinking Crawford is better than he actually is. Compared to Hayden and Davon Coleman and Ken Bishop and Chris Whaley, Crawford looked like the next coming.

kskboys

Reaction score
Who knows, but I at least try and keep clear vision, and I can talk talent evaluation all day,, you want to go there we can, but it will take a lot of pages...lol
That first part sounds like an eyeglass lense commercial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quickccc

Reaction score
RDE is a huge question mark and very postion. Gregory had a very promising 2018, but come September he wouldn't have played for a year and a half. And even then he wasnt a full time player. McCoy at this stage of his career is a better all round DR, but I consider him a downgrade as a rusher to Collins. Collins was one of the top passing DT's in terms of win rate last year. I dont think people realize how good he was rushing the passer.

The DL could and should be better as an overall unit next year. But it has a ways to go before I would consider any kind of unit of strength. And alot of thing have to break their way

Apparently the Cowboys organization themselves did not realize how good Maliek was rushing the passer either, as they have drafted two DTs with the
intention of eventually replacing him with heir apparents. (ala Hill and Gallimore)
and that includes the incumbent DT coach Leon Lett, ..new DL coach Tomsula and new DC Nolan.

That tends to indicate to me that there's existing impression that they have of Maliek...and there's a coveted desired impression that they want better than
what they had in Maliek Collins. And they are still bringing in guys to replace what he was not giving us.

i believe they are looking for game to game consistency and presence than a guy that splashes a game here ..then disappears in too many stretches and games
between to finally arise back with a couple more so splashes.

Whether old or new regime,..whether old or new DL coaches, its' a reason why Cowboys themselves allowed Maliek to walk in FA while adding more DT players.

Frankly i thought Collins as more of a rotational guy than a full time starter. i had wonder if he was the type that starting is too much for him and
either he gets over-exposed or the type that wears down from taking on the bulk of game reps. That could be just me guess working.
Still find it very ironic for that he finally stayed healthy year long in a contract year at that.

with McCoy being age 32, this team is gonna have to carefully monitored and control his game reps. We cannot over expose him to wear and
tear toll .We are gonna have to trust the guys behind him.
;)