Report Card Grades for the 2019 Defense

quickccc

Reaction score
Earlier, I posted grades on the 2019 offense and STs. I gave the offense a B+ overall, with varying grades for individual players. STs got a D. Would have been an F if not for Kai Forbath hitting all 10 of his FGs and XP’s the last 3 games...but I digress. This is about the Defense.

Defense Overall Grade: C-
  • DL
    • DeMarcus Lawrence. Grade: C-. Coming off his Off season shoulder surgery, we knew DLaw would start slow, but for the millions he’s getting paid, he was still a disappointment despite occasional flashes.
    • Robert Quinn. Grade: B+. Quinn was the best pass rusher we had and the most consistent with 11.5 sacks. Not great against the run but his pass rush made up for it.
    • Maliek Collins. Grade: C. Started all 16 games and had 4 sacks. He’s ok but nothing that would justify the FA cash he will garner to keep him.
    • Michael Bennett- Grade: C-. Mid-season trade was a good idea but is a shadow of what he once was. Made a few plays but omg the offsides penalties.
    • AnTuan Woods- Grade: C-. Missed 6 games to injury and was very inconsistent.
    • Kerry Hyder- Grade: B-. Hyder was a solid contributor, if not spectacular. Played multiple positions and played hard every down. Solid guy in the rotation.
    • Dorrance Armstrong- Grade: C. Still has lots of upside and can grow into his talent. Played in 15 games.
    • Trysten Hill- Grade: F. Lazy and was a healthy scratch a whopping nine games. In the 7 games he did play, he only occasionally looked like an NFL player. Bust label is lurking if he doesn’t get serious and work hard.
  • LBs
    • Jaylon Smith- Grade: C-. After signing the big contract it was as if he lost his drive. A big disappointment although he flashed some good plays at times, very inconsistent.
    • LVE- Grade: C-. Hurt most of the year. When he played he looked out of position a lot. Still a great talent so hoping this was just a fluke season.
    • Sean Lee- Grade: B. Sean Lee is always the most prepared player on defense. He seems to have lost a step but was our best LB this past season.
    • Backups- Grade: C. Joe Thomas is good- the rest are just jerseys.
  • DBs
    • Byron Jones- Grade: C+. Still a good cover man but couldn’t catch a cold. Never, ever, never has an INT. Great talent but I think we should let him walk.
    • Chidobe Awuzie- Grade: D. Very inconsistent. Even got benched a series in Philly. Has talent but seemingly takes plays off.
    • Jourdan Lewis- Grade: B-. Good in coverage. Showed flashes after Anthony Brown was hurt. He will probably be a full time starter next year.
    • Anthony Brown- Grade C. Pretty decent in coverage before season ending injury. If the price is right, may be worth keeping.
    • Xavier Woods- Grade: C. Had 2 picks which for this D is a lot. Has good coverage skills but not a great tackler. IMO he’s not a long term answer at S.
    • Jeff Heath- Grade: C-. I’ve usually felt Heath was better than many fans thought but in 2019 he was average at best. Hits like a freight train but that alone doesn’t make you an NFL S.
    • Backups- Grade: C-. Nothing special about any of them.
So looking at final grades for all team areas:
  • Defense: C-
  • Offense: B+
  • STs: D
Pretty much explains 8-8.
Thoughts?

- Kerry Hyder with a ‘ B” grade ?? lol
what da hell did he ever do that made an impact that was caused for a B grade. ? You didn’t see sacks, tipped passes that caused INTs or tackles for losses with him.
Or flat an guy that was beating his man, he was pure JAG.
He was so invisible that it wasn’t never noticeable that he was even on the field.

- I’m not about to call Hill “ lazy” when we don’t even know what’s occurring under an already questionable coaching issue under Rod Marinelli.
If we hear and observe the same direction in new DL coach Tomsula and Nolan, while we still maintaining 4-3 scheme, then I could buy into the red flags much more.

- Frankly from what all was being so touted about Armstrong, I’ve been underwhelmed about his presence thus far. It’s JAG looking at this point, but I’ll await to see what the next DL coach
can bring out of him that Marinelli could not.

- Jordan Lewis is one of most overrated propelled fan favorites I can remember in some time. He is the epitome of a give-take CB. He has ball skills to come up with INTs takes,
but he will also bust and surrender up a number of catches and big plays in man coverage.
Needless to say, Cole Beasley just slaughtered him in having his best day of the entire season.
Given an expanded role due to Anthony Brown’s injury, I thought Jordan was finally exposed but being just decent at best – But if he is “starting “ for us on the outside CB role in 2020, then we will already be immediately in a world of deep trouble, imo.

- Jaylon Smith is gonna be someone that has to be schemed well and hidden by impact DTs, imo. We’re gonna have to limit his read keys make it simple for him minimized
his coverage responsibilities, well design him, such as a forwarding blitzer and pursuit guy. Role and designs that better play to his strengths and limit his weaknesses.
Having top notch road- cloggers in the middle that help him greatly in catching interference and traffic so he’s not as stuck up on blockers will help him better in
pursuing down the line and in the backfield.

Last edited:

ShiningStar

Reaction score
im fine with Bobs evaluations, at least he put it out there.

2nd, lots to see this year as we have a new staff who hopefully has new ideas and will install new ways. So a lot is going to change. the OP is not saying this is for life or their perm tags, hes just saying what happened under the last staff.

I need 6

Reaction score
I posted these numbers before, in wins the offense averaged 37 points and in losses 17, a 20 point difference.

The offense gets an F when the games meant something. The rest is BS.
To elaborate on this the offense getting a B+ is too high. They deserve a C. They couldn't score in big games against the Saints, Patriots and Eagles. 18 points scored wins all 3 games.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
To elaborate on this the offense getting a B+ is too high. They deserve a C. They couldn't score in big games against the Saints, Patriots and Eagles. 18 points scored wins all 3 games.

his he evaulating scheme, staff or players performance?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Earlier, I posted grades on the 2019 offense and STs. I gave the offense a B+ overall, with varying grades for individual players. STs got a D. Would have been an F if not for Kai Forbath hitting all 10 of his FGs and XP’s the last 3 games...but I digress. This is about the Defense.

• DL
    • DeMarcus Lawrence. Grade: C-. Coming off his Off season shoulder surgery, we knew DLaw would start slow, but for the millions he’s getting paid, he was still a disappointment despite occasional flashes.
    • Robert Quinn. Grade: B+. Quinn was the best pass rusher we had and the most consistent with 11.5 sacks. Not great against the run but his pass rush made up for it.
    • Maliek Collins. Grade: C. Started all 16 games and had 4 sacks. He’s ok but nothing that would justify the FA cash he will garner to keep him.
    • Michael Bennett- Grade: C-. Mid-season trade was a good idea but is a shadow of what he once was. Made a few plays but omg the offsides penalties.
    • Kerry Hyder- Grade: B-. Hyder was a solid contributor, if not spectacular. Played multiple positions and played hard every down. Solid guy in the rotation.
    • Dorrance Armstrong- Grade: C. Still has lots of upside and can grow into his talent. Played in 15 games.
    • Trysten Hill- Grade: F. Lazy and was a healthy scratch a whopping nine games. In the 7 games he did play, he only occasionally looked like an NFL player. Bust label is lurking if he doesn’t get serious and work hard.
  • LBs
    • Jaylon Smith- Grade: C-. After signing the big contract it was as if he lost his drive. A big disappointment although he flashed some good plays at times, very inconsistent.
    • LVE- Grade: C-. Hurt most of the year. When he played he looked out of position a lot. Still a great talent so hoping this was just a fluke season.
    • Sean Lee- Grade: B. Sean Lee is always the most prepared player on defense. He seems to have lost a step but was our best LB this past season.
  • DBs
    • Byron Jones- Grade: C+. Still a good cover man but couldn’t catch a cold. Never, ever, never has an INT. Great talent but I think we should let him walk.
    • Chidobe Awuzie- Grade: D. Very inconsistent. Even got benched a series in Philly. Has talent but seemingly takes plays off.
    • Jourdan Lewis- Grade: B-. Good in coverage. Showed flashes after Anthony Brown was hurt. He will probably be a full time starter next year.
    • Anthony Brown- Grade C. Pretty decent in coverage before season ending injury. If the price is right, may be worth keeping.
    • Xavier Woods- Grade: C. Had 2 picks which for this D is a lot. Has good coverage skills but not a great tackler. IMO he’s not a long term answer at S.
    • Jeff Heath- Grade: C-. I’ve usually felt Heath was better than many fans thought but in 2019 he was average at best. Hits like a freight train but that alone doesn’t make you an NFL S.
Thoughts?

Armstrong looks completely over matched. Where is that guy from Kansas. I would give him a D. Smith, factoring the hype and 2018, is a D. Plus he was worse than LVE. Lewis I would bump to a B. The coaches tried to ruin him but he won out on talent. I also give Chido an F. Guy looks like he doesn't want to be there.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

• DL
  • LBs
  • DBs
Thoughts?

I give your grading a c.

hyder did almost nothing. Few few plays made. Lewis had an interception but was beat like a drum when forced to start, he gave up the highest comp % among our CB's.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jones is criminally undergraded. Yes, he doesn't get interceptions but he's an excellent CB and graded out as a Top 10ish CB when looking at things like opposing passer ratings, completion percentage, etc.

He's a B, at worst.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Overall Defense as a unit did not get it done, poor tackling, sacks need to increase and turnovers. McCarthy already indicated change will take place.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Agree overall with but a few exceptions
I would give D-Law a D- at best
I would grade Bennett at B+ despite the stupid penalties ( at times he seemed like the only one trying)
Jeff Heath a B+ despite his lack of talent, he more than makes up for in heart and intensity... This guy still hit like a freight train with both shoulders banged up

As for Jaylon Smith well he needs to understand some football fundamentals... for example you shouldn’t celebrate when you are down by 20 or for making a stop after the other team converts a 3rd down...
D at best
I like your style

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Also, no coach ever said Hill was lazy.

Marinelli and coaches from both coaching staffs from his college years said he had a "high motor".

He is a slow learner. End of story.

Seems to be, with technique being a major issue. New coaches have to teach him to get low, stay square and fire off the ball. He needs to learn better hand usage as well. I was disappointed that we didn't see the quickness off the snap that was on his college tape, but I think he could have been trying too hard not to mess up and play the way he was being taught.

Hopefully, Tomsula is up to the task, because while we might have our gripes with Marinelli, he really is a good DL coach.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
what da hell did he ever do that made an impact that was caused for a B grade. ? You didn’t see sacks, tipped passes that caused INTs or tackles for losses with him.
He was so invisible that it wasn’t never noticeable that he was even on the field.

- I’m not about to call Hill “ lazy” when we don’t even know what’s occurring under an already questionable coaching issue under Rod Marinelli.
If we hear and observe the same direction in new DL coach Tomsula and Nolan, while we still maintaining 4-3 scheme, then I could buy into the red flags much more.

- Frankly from what all was being so touted about Armstrong, I’ve been underwhelmed about his presence thus far. It’s JAG looking at this point, but I’ll await to see what the next DL coach

- Jordan Lewis is one of most overrated propelled fan favorites I can remember in some time. He is the epitome of a give-take CB. He has ball skills to come up with INTs takes,
but he will also bust and surrender up a number of catches and big plays in man coverage.
Needless to say, Cole Beasley just slaughtered him in having his best day of the entire season.
Given an expanded role due to Anthony Brown’s injury, I thought Jordan was finally exposed but being just decent at best – But if he is “starting “ for us on the outside CB role in 2020, then we will already be immediately in a world of deep trouble, imo.

- Jaylon Smith is gonna be someone that has to be schemed well and hidden by impact DTs, imo. We’re gonna have to limit his read keys make it simple for him minimized
his coverage responsibilities, well design him, such as a forwarding blitzer and pursuit guy. Role and designs that better play to his strengths and limit his weaknesses.
Having top notch road- cloggers in the middle that help him greatly in catching interference and traffic so he’s not as stuck up on blockers will help him better in

LLLOOOLLL, at the beginning my man and Agree. Did he do anything the whole year? If nothing out of Hill this year, get rid of him an admit another high pick failure. So wonder our DL is not good, missing on picks like him and Taco Bell will set you back for years.

quickccc

Reaction score
LLLOOOLLL, at the beginning my man and Agree. Did he do anything the whole year?

If nothing out of Hill this year, get rid of him an admit another high pick failure. So wonder our DL is not good, missing on picks like him and Taco Bell will set you back for years.

yes, I agree in seeing what Hill is made out of this coming year - with being guided by a new, upgrade coaching staff - then decide afterwards on his future here.

If there is any competent coaching here now, they are not gonna get rid of Trysten Hill based off fan or media hate & disappointment.
they are gonna give Hill every opportunity to bounce back and emerge as a player, under their own guidance, instead of giving up on him because of the previous coaching regime.

how do we know it was more the direction of previous incompetent, misguided coaches that was more of a hinderance to Hill's development ?
- the same coaches that influence McClay to draft Taco over TJ Watt ?
- the same coaching regime that decided to rely more on quick twitch and movement than relying on physicality, bulk and muscle- as a result, " being out-physical " by opposing teams .
- the same coaching regime that made odd rotations with our best players on the sideline during red zone scoring territory.

But here's my question: What if a top regarded DT drops to one of our early round draft picks ?
Do we pass that top DT draftee up for the sake of already having Hill here and risk that Trysten will come along ?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Your Grades? I appreciate the fervor of your opinions although I disagree somewhat with your Kerry Hyder comments. I gave him a B- because in his role he played well. Less was expected of him than say DLaw. Thanks for the input. What report card do you have?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
yes, I agree in seeing what Hill is made out of this coming year - with being guided by a new, upgrade coaching staff - then decide afterwards on his future here.

If there is any competent coaching here now, they are not gonna get rid of Trysten Hill based off fan or media hate & disappointment.
they are gonna give Hill every opportunity to bounce back and emerge as a player, under their own guidance, instead of giving up on him because of the previous coaching regime.

how do we know it was more the direction of previous incompetent, misguided coaches that was more of a hinderance to Hill's development ?
- the same coaches that influence McClay to draft Taco over TJ Watt ?
- the same coaching regime that decided to rely more on quick twitch and movement than relying on physicality, bulk and muscle- as a result, " being out-physical " by opposing teams .
- the same coaching regime that made odd rotations with our best players on the sideline during red zone scoring territory.

But here's my question: What if a top regarded DT drops to one of our early round draft picks ?
Do we pass that top DT draftee up for the sake of already having Hill here and risk that Trysten will come along ?

Let me answer that, h to the L NO. We take that DT, which is the weak link. Now if they get a DT in FA, then you nab that Safety with the 17th pick. Then come back and still get a DT with the next pick.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Maliek Collins. Grade: C
- I would go at least a B-, probably B. He plays as well as you can expect. He has always been misused.
Kerry Hyder- Grade: B-[/QUOTE] - I was disappointed in Hyder overall. no way i could grade him better than Collins.
Jaylon Smith- Grade: C-[/QUOTE] - I would have to go lower or raise LVE. Neither was good but Jaylon was worse.
Byron Jones- Grade: C+[/QUOTE] - Was arguably the best player on defense. Would have to be between he & Quinn, right? Understand the turnover knock but he plays one of the toughest positions and his coverage rates near the top in the entire league. has to get at least an A-.
I would give ST's an F.

Nice Post Bob!!