News: Report: Cowboys' Tony Romo prefers Denver as his next team

CCBoy

Reaction score
Report: Cowboys' Tony Romo prefers Denver as his next team
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/r...refers-denver-as-his-next-team-151910916.html

Although Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said this week that he’s had no thoughts of Tony Romo playing for a team other than the Cowboys in 2017, it’s a little hard to believe Romo will be with Dallas much longer.

For one thing, it’s silly to think the Cowboys are going to keep Romo as a $14 million backup (with a nearly $25 million cap hit thanks for bonuses and restructuring), and for another, it would be silly for Romo to be OK with simply carrying a clipboard in Dallas when he made it pretty clear during his reflective Tuesday podium appearance that he still wants to play.

f35774f93ed261322cce14c17ddad16b

Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks Dak Prescott (4) and Tony Romo head in opposite directions. (Getty Images)
So of course the question becomes, where would Romo go?

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Romo has targeted the Denver Broncos. John Elway stepped up a few years ago to get Peyton Manning, a move that paid off for both sides. Denver has some great pieces on offense with receivers Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, young running back Devontae Booker and C.J. Anderson, who is currently on injured reserve, plus the Broncos have one f the best defenses in the NFL...

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The Broncos drafted their QB of the future this past season. Would make as much sense for them to trade for Romo as it would for us to keep him as the starter going forward.

rynochop

Reaction score
I'm not buying any of this, takes a couple of crap games from a rookie fourth rounder and Tony's starting. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw Tony today with a bad first half from Dak. Everyone needs to remember our backup who everyone likes to make fun of, was a rookie sensation

kevm3

Reaction score
I'm not buying any of this, takes a couple of crap games from a rookie fourth rounder and Tony's starting. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw Tony today with a bad first half from Dak. Everyone needs to remember our backup who everyone likes to make fun of, was a rookie sensation

If the coaches brought in Tony after a bad half from Dak, they deserve to be fired.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll see but NFL Insiders are predicting a mid round pick at best.
That could change. Desperate teams do desperate things. Especially when it comes to the QB position.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Lynch is not even the starter over Trevor Siemien and Romo is would be a clear upgrade over either if healthy.

True, but Lynch was brought in to be the guy. Sitting him this year was the right thing but you can bet they expect him to be their starter next year.

I am not gonna complain if we can somehow get a draft pick or two out of Romo. Just would be very surprised if Denver would be the place.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
That could change. Desperate teams do desperate things. Especially when it comes to the QB position.
A team would have to be pretty darn desperate to give a high draft pick when odds are he will be released anyway. I could easily see teams playing wait-and-see.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

And as soon as Tony has a crap game, then Dak is back in!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A team would have to be pretty darn desperate to give a high draft pick when odds are he will be released anyway. I could easily see teams playing wait-and-see.

Me too. It will be interesting. If I had to guess we won't betting getting a very high pick for him but like I said, it will interesting watching this all unfold. I wish him well no matter where he lands.

lwehlers

Reaction score
I would think that the jets would be the team he ends up with. we still have seven games left so plenty of time left in the season so romo could play anytime now.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
True, but Lynch was brought in to be the guy. Sitting him this year was the right thing but you can bet they expect him to be their starter next year.

I am not gonna complain if we can somehow get a draft pick or two out of Romo. Just would be very surprised if Denver would be the place.

It all depends on Elway if he doesn't think Romo can stay healthy he might just go with what he has but if he does get a healthy Romo they're a Super Bowl contender next season. I don't think the compensation will be high for Romo regardless of where he goes I think a 4th round pick might be all we get but I do think Jerry will trade Romo whereever he wants to go if the team he wants to go to wants him.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
There is something odd going on with the reps being split the way they are and everything. I suspect we will see Romo take the field sooner rather than later.

If not, Romo basically has the pick of where to go(in interested teams) because he will likely have to restructure or redo his contract just to be traded meaning he could basically veto any trade.