Report: Dak Prescott counteroffer higher than Carson Wentz deal

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wentz was drafted to a team that was coming off a 7-9 season. Dak came into t team that was possibly the most talented team in the league with the best Oline and a top RB. Comparing those numbers is like comparing apples to ornages IMO. Yea, we went to playoff sin 2 out of the 3 years, but we stunk in year 2, and we were stinking last year, and dak was really stinking last year when cooper arrived. Look, we can go back and forth all day.... all Im saying is I want to see Dak do something THIS year. Lead us to the playoffs and a depp playoff run this year, and Ill concede he is worth paying. Thats why I personally would not give him a new deal until this season is well uner way so we can see how he is doing.
Wait - wasn’t Dak drafted to a team coming off a 4-12 season ...?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Something a lot of people are not thinking about! I was listening to some former NFL players discuss paying Dak and Ryan Clark was asked could it affect the locker room. His eyes rolled and he said ohhh yeah. Guys will develop resentments especially if Dak is over paid.
And every player up for contract will expect to be over payed. But they are now. Wait till Coop gets paid. And the contract Elliot will want. Lol. Someone is going to be disappointed and will go
elsewhere and get the money and bad mouth our team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Something a lot of people are not thinking about! I was listening to some former NFL players discuss paying Dak and Ryan Clark was asked could it affect the locker room. His eyes rolled and he said ohhh yeah. Guys will develop resentments especially if Dak is over paid.
Maybe, but the players know Dak deserves whatever he can get. It’s just ignorant fans who don’t. Fan’s like yourself who poo poo on anything the Cowboys do. When they win the SB you’ll be *****ing about something I guarantee it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And every player up for contract will expect to be over payed. But they are now. Wait till Coop gets paid. And the contract Elliot will want. Lol. Someone is going to be disappointed and will go
elsewhere and get the money and bad mouth our team.
There will always be free agents that leave teams for more money. That isn’t unique to the Cowboys.

MyUserName

Reaction score
People keep saying he should take some sort of discount because he plays for "America's Team". I think quite the opposite is true, No QB position in all of football is more scrutinized, criticized, magnified, glorified, etc. It takes a special type of guy to handle everything that comes with being the Cowboys QB, thus he should ask for MORE money.
Also a lot of perks being the QB of America's Team.
How many guys out there would love to take his spot for half his asking price?
How many of them are just as talented, if not more so?

He should give the team a discount and be happy he is where he is...not like he was a #1 overall pick, or even playing like one.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I’m not calling you names. I’m just saying you’re ignorant which means you lack the facts. As far as Coop or any other player, when was the last time the Cowboys overpaid for one of their FA’s?
How much per year did Wilson get. Someone said 34 per year. If that’s true then I don’t agree with Dak making that. I do want him signed. With the team we will likey keep around him we can win with him. He makes plays when it counts. He is a gamer and seems to be a leader. I thought we over paid D-Law but had no other real pass rusher. Dez was iffy to me. Coop and Elliot are going to want big money. If Elliot stays out of trouble he may be the next bench mark if we want to keep a RB long term.

mardwin

Reaction score
The decision is easy for Jerry Jones. Dallas can have him for 3-years for about ~$60M and then let him hit free agency. How's that? Let him play out this year, then franchise him the next two; no way they should pay him like an elite QB.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How much per year did Wilson get. Someone said 34 per year. If that’s true then I don’t agree with Dak making that. I do want him signed. With the team we will likey keep around him we can win with him. He makes plays when it counts. He is a gamer and seems to be a leader. I thought we over paid D-Law but had no other real pass rusher. Dez was iffy to me. Coop and Elliot are going to want big money. If Elliot stays out of trouble he may be the next bench mark if we want to keep a RB long term.
I don’t think he should get 34 mil either and neither does Dak. His latest offer was for 34. They’ll settle on something less than that. As far as D-Law, you’re the first person anywhere who has said his new contract overpaid him. Everyone else says it’s a good contract for both sides.

MyUserName

Reaction score
Another thing he should consider (if it matters to him) ...think of how many fans who are either anti-Dak or on the fence about him that he could win over by publicly stating he's open to giving the team a discount on his extension.

A beloved QB...especially one on an internationally fan-favorite team...will deposit lots of sponsorship/marketing $$$ in their bank.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don’t think he should get 34 mil either and neither does Dak. His latest offer was for 34. They’ll settle on something less than that. As far as D-Law, you’re the first person anywhere who has said his new contract overpaid him. Everyone else says it’s a good contract for both sides.
I didn’t like the way him and his agent held his surgery off as a tool. If we stalled then his recovery would have cost him regular season games. Or cost us his services for regular season games. If we stalled long enough and let him go then I don’t think a team would have given him that contract knowing they wouldn’t have his services for part of the season.

These guys play to much in negotiations for my liking. You look at them taking forever going back and forth and when the contract finally comes out you would think they could sit down over a few hours and put it together.

We offer 25 or 30 and they say no that’s way to low (weeks or months go by and....).. We want 34.. No freaking way that was what a SB winning QB just got. Too much. More time goes by and they settle on 32 or 33, gotta have that little extra to out due the last player signed. 2 sides sit the heck down and do it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Wait - wasn’t Dak drafted to a team coming off a 4-12 season ...?
Do I need to explain things to you? I dont thnk I do, but if you think the 2015 Cowboys were a typical 4-12 team, than we can just stop the discussion.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
People really flipping out over a counter offer........ :facepalm:

Have they never negotiated or haggled a price over anything in their life? One side starts low the other starts high, then goes until they find a price in the middle. The problem is the longer it takes, the more it favors Dak because the market prices for QBs will keep going up. The real numbers to be concerned with is the amount guaranteed and how it gets structured.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do I need to explain things to you? I dont thnk I do, but if you think the 2015 Cowboys were a typical 4-12 team, than we can just stop the discussion.
So, the Cowboys weren’t really what their record showed, but the Eagles were. In other words, you apply different standards to different teams as it suits you.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Wentz was drafted to a team that was coming off a 7-9 season. Dak came into t team that was possibly the most talented team in the league with the best Oline and a top RB

Dak was drafted to a team that was coming off a 4-12 season

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Uhmmmmmm ....................... yep. The Cowboys were 4-12 in 2015, and Dak was taken in the 2016 draft.
my bad, I was thinking Wentz, but lets not kid oursleves on the team Dak was drafted to... well you can if you think it makes some point. Face the facts, Dak was probably put in the best position in the history of the NFL for a rookie qb. Do you disagree? Name me another rookie qb who started in week 1 that was in a better psoition than Dak was. Go ahead, Ill wait.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So, the Cowboys weren’t really what their record showed, but the Eagles were. In other words, you apply different standards to different teams as it suits you.
Were the Eagles a legit SB contender just before they were drafted? get real.. the Cowboys were 4-12 dur to losing the starting qb and having maybe the worst QB position the team had since the days of Babe Laufenburgh... but you rationalize things how you want to fit your sceneario.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
BUt Im gonna bow out. I pretty much took this forum off in off season and months later here we are, still talking about the exact same ****. I hope dak does great.... but this season should determine his contract ... JMO.