Twitter: Report - DLaw declined a pay cut

quickccc

Reaction score
Looking at the structure on DL, everyone on his side had to have known this was really a 3/65 deal fully guaranteed.

He couldn't have possibly thought the team would keep him at two inflated base salaries that made it look like a 100m deal.

So the agent talks him out of a renegotiation at a real number and will pocket another commission.

He is NOT getting 17-19 million per plus a bonus elsewhere, and now needs to uproot the family.

Maybe he just wants out. He talked about wanting to win and it's not gonna happen here, whether he was part of the problem or not.

If Dlaw were getting Chandler Jones type sack numbers, there likely would not have even been a pay cut demand.

Had he been the War Daddy force they envisioned and expected him to be, i doubt it would have even come down to this.

what i am also trying to decipher is Dlaw previously restructured his contract for Cowboys cap benefit, .but now they want him to take a total pay cut
instead of another restructure possibility.

That suggests to me that they don't/no longer considered him warranted of being among highest paid, whether that do to injury trend or not, he hasn't met
their contract expectations ,.. and now it's either cut-down in salary, ..or totally cut period.

And no other NFL team are gonna trade for the current contracts, either DLaw or Cooper ..

Gaede

Reaction score
Even though I agree that Lawrence is vastly overpaid, I think some of you are forgetting how hard it is to find good defensive ends.

Replacing him isn't going to be easy.

Carson

Reaction score
Even though I agree that Lawrence is vastly overpaid, I think some of you are forgetting how hard it is to find good defensive ends.

Replacing him isn't going to be easy.
Easy? No way.

Impossible? Not even close.

Let me get that Cooper, Lawrence money, restructure a few minor contracts. Lock up Gallup, Schultz, Wilson, Gregory and Kearse. Much better than paying for Lawrence and Cooper

glimmerman

Reaction score
Knew that was gonna happen. Mucho money this year. It’s cheaper to keep him this year I think. Nobody is gonna take his contract.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you? Why would any player take a cut with this team?

The players reflect the ownership, the game is all about the money.

Neither Cooper or Lawrence is taking a cut to stay with this team and they shouldn’t. Why should they pay for the mistakes the incompetents make trying to manage this?

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
9 sacks between the TWO of them.

I’ll live, and I think the Cowboys will too.
I'm with you, but would feel a lot more comfortable if the Cowboys drafted at least one and possible two DE.

In fact, if the Cowboys focused the draft on OL and DL, I would be even happier.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
If you cut Lawrence you are forced to sign Gregory. I would do just that.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He's gone.

And our pass rush is gonna suck next year, even with Parsons sometimes playing DE.

What I would do is go hard after Von Miller and cut Lawrence if we get him. I think he's a better scheme fit for the pseudo-3-4 looks Quinn wants to use.

However, I absolutely don't expect the Joneses to pay enough to get Miller. They are more likely to cut Lawrence and tell us they can do it because they have a veteran in Basham to take his place.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If Dlaw were getting Chandler Jones type sack numbers, there likely would not have even been a pay cut demand.

Had he been the War Daddy force they envisioned and expected him to be, i doubt it would have even come down to this.

what i am also trying to decipher is Dlaw previously restructured his contract for Cowboys cap benefit, .but now they want him to take a total pay cut
instead of another restructure possibility.

That suggests to me that they don't/no longer considered him warranted of being among highest paid, whether that do to injury trend or not, he hasn't met
their contract expectations ,.. and now it's either cut-down in salary, ..or totally cut period.

And no other NFL team are gonna trade for the current contracts, either DLaw or Cooper ..
Thing is with the restructures....you can only do it so many times because you run out of years to spread it over.

That's why the team wanted a longer deal with Dak.

The conundrum is created when DL is scheduled to make 17 million this year in pay, but he counts 27 million toward the cap due to the restructures.

The former is palatable, and has nothing to do with the player and his worth. He may get close to that annually, but he is going to have to go elsewhere to do it.

This is what things came down to with Ware.

LittleD

Reaction score
Buh Bye, Sucka!!! June 1st cut saves the most though you won't be able to use it till we pay the draft class. Just another might overpay of marginal talent. Jerry loves him some shiny objects that
can't play football and make business decisions every week.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I don't blame DLaw one bit. Stephen just gave #90 the contract a year or two ago. SJ is doing nothing but trying fix his past mistakes. Get a real GM who doesn't have to clean up his mistakes every year.

This is what happens when you pay a QB $40M and a RB $15M other players have to go. Funny how some fans trash these players for being "paid too much" and not the guy who gave them the contract in the first place.

It's about that last part more than many want to admit to themselves.

shabazz

Reaction score
Would you? Why would any player take a cut with this team?

The players reflect the ownership, the game is all about the money.

Neither Cooper or Lawrence is taking a cut to stay with this team and they shouldn’t. Why should they pay for the mistakes the incompetents make trying to manage this?

yeah.......Caveat Emptor and chit

Tussinman

Reaction score
Didn't DLaw previously willingly re-structured his contract before in 2020..??

But Now Cowboys are requesting (demanding) him do take a pay cut ?

:huh:
to be fair it's not really "willingly" to take a restructure.

Re-structure means you get a cash advance, no players going to refuse that (more money up front and means your contract is more futureproof since you now have more dead money later down the road ).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm with you, but would feel a lot more comfortable if the Cowboys drafted at least one and possible two DE.

In fact, if the Cowboys focused the draft on OL and DL, I would be even happier.

Yeah. That’s been my own draft plan with my mock drafts. That’s what I would do.

Brax

Reaction score
If you cut Lawrence you are forced to sign Gregory. I would do just that.
Why would you be forced to sign him, guy doesn't even know not to tackle a OLman, and has done little to nothing in all the seasons he has been there. He's a waste of resources.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Why would you be forced to sign him, guy doesn't even know not to tackle a OLman, and has done little to nothing in all the seasons he has been there. He's a waste of resources.

So you cut Lawrence and let Gregory walk. Who plays DE next season? You think Jerry is going to grab a couple starting quality FAs?

Brax

Reaction score
So you cut Lawrence and let Gregory walk. Who plays DE next season? You think Jerry is going to grab a couple starting quality FAs?
Jerry made the problem with his stupidity, his fix will be garbage FA and draft picks. You should know this, there will not be much drop off if any with out RG and his part time stupid play. Defense is not a priority as the cap numbers show what is spent on the D side. I am sure a injured or troubled player or washed up vet will show up Jerry can get cheap to plug in there at DE. If RG is one of those "I like our guys" the team will be screwed yet again.