Report: Michael Thomas seeking $22M per year

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
FYI .....this is $4M more than highest-paid NFL receiver (OBJ)

MICHAEL THOMASWR, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news

Updating a previous New Orleans Times-Picayune report, Michael Thomas is seeking $22 million per year.
The Saints are reportedly at $18 million annually. A contract should be coming eventually, but "nothing is imminent" with about four million separating the two sides. There are a few receivers waiting on new deals, so there may be a waiting game to see where the market settles for elite receivers. Thomas has the most receptions (321) since 2016, his first year in the league.

SOURCE: Jeff Duncan on Twitter
Jun 21, 2019, 11:27 AM ET

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As all these contracts get more out of hand. And with all the stupid rule changes. NFL is ruining itself.
Ticket prices will go up, food and drink prices as well as parking will go up. NFL TV contracts will get bigger, resulting in higher prices passed on to pay for them from the consumers.

Eventually even the routine fans taking their family to a game will be even more priced out. As they will stop going.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Let's let the market be set and just do away with the salary cap. I know...pipe dream....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Dak about to get severely overpaid, Cooper getting massive dollars and Jaylon around the corner, I don't see an extension for Zeke.

Maybe a franchise tag, then letting him walk.

Maybe they keep Zeke and let Jaylon walk.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Dak about to get severely overpaid, Cooper getting massive dollars and Jaylon around the corner, I don't see an extension for Zeke.

Maybe a franchise tag, then letting him walk.

That's the route I would take. Not something I'd be thrilled with, but tough decisions have to be made, especially with these contracts getting bigger and bigger all the time.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That is what agents do, they are hoping the Saints meet them in the middle and they end up at 20.

I'm not sure he gets signed if the report is anywhere close to true. If the Saints are at $18M, it shows they're willing to make his the high paid WR but to pay him 2M-4M I don't see. In fact, some Saint beat writers are questioning whether they should even invest long-term resources in the position since Brees in working playing on a year-to-year basis.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Let's let the market be set and just do away with the salary cap. I know...pipe dream....
The owners are the ones pushing for a cap. They don't trust each other to control spending. The small market teams especially, like Buffalo and Jacksonville.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That's the route I would take. Not something I'd be thrilled with, but tough decisions have to be made, especially with these contracts getting bigger and bigger all the time.

Personally, I wouldn't bother tagging Zeke. If you're deciding not to give him a long-term deal, just trade him and move on. Rather not have the headache and distraction the tag and him holding out will cost.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In just 5 short years, the new WR money has become the old QB money. Every position will strive to get increases before the QB salaries absorb the cap growth.