Report: Michael Thomas seeking $22M per year

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
FYI .....this is $4M more than highest-paid NFL receiver (OBJ)

MICHAEL THOMASWR, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news

Updating a previous New Orleans Times-Picayune report, Michael Thomas is seeking $22 million per year.
The Saints are reportedly at $18 million annually. A contract should be coming eventually, but "nothing is imminent" with about four million separating the two sides. There are a few receivers waiting on new deals, so there may be a waiting game to see where the market settles for elite receivers. Thomas has the most receptions (321) since 2016, his first year in the league.

SOURCE: Jeff Duncan on Twitter
Jun 21, 2019, 11:27 AM ET

Really, the only playing card teams have is the franchise tag. What else can a team do other then let the guy walk?

Pants

Reaction score
Sure there's a ZEKE on every NFL team and heck you can get one in the 4th round....:omg:

Zeke will not be without a chair come Sept and will be deservedly be he highest paid HB in the league .....look elsewhere for the standing only without a Chair(Non-Deal) in Sept...

love Zeke, but Bell sat (not wanting a chair)

Pants

Reaction score
Better win a SB soon.

This is the problem when you try to convince yourself to build slow and steady. You can’t hold a roster together forever.

It’s the one large flaw in Jerry and Stephen’s plan.

"ONE LARGE"?

See: Garrett (for example)

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I imagine agents say a lot of crazy ****. But then agents don’t write the checks.
Nope. They gain checks. That's their job.
Some are better than others...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As all these contracts get more out of hand. And with all the stupid rule changes. NFL is ruining itself.
Ticket prices will go up, food and drink prices as well as parking will go up. NFL TV contracts will get bigger, resulting in higher prices passed on to pay for them from the consumers.

Eventually even the routine fans taking their family to a game will be even more priced out. As they will stop going.
Prices are definitely out of hand but it costs nothing to watch on TV and is much more enjoyable. It’s all about supply and demand. If consumers are willing to pay for tickets, parking and refreshments then teams will continue to charge. If fans stop going to the games because of the prices, then teams will scale back. It’s not all doom and gloom. Just the opposite in my opinion.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prices are definitely out of hand but it costs nothing to watch on TV and is much more enjoyable. It’s all about supply and demand. If consumers are willing to pay for tickets, parking and refreshments then teams will continue to charge. If fans stop going to the games because of the prices, then teams will scale back. It’s not all doom and gloom. Just the opposite in my opinion.

Yes.
I was being a little sarcastic in a way. But also I can see more and more getting even more priced out than now.

When I had my season tickets, I sold them when I was out of town working. Sometimes for double, sometimes just barely a profit. Even took a small loss a few times. Sold them the friends and family for face value, and a few times gave them to them.
Most of the time I made $300 to $500 profit. I went to the games though when I was in town. So resale on tickets, yes people will buy them.
For 2 seats and parking, it was $755 per game, if I figured in the cost of the PSL's, it was more.
I was able to sell them, the PSL's for break even.

So people will pay the price.

scottsp

Reaction score
I'm not certain where the Mike Thomas money stops or to the extent it impacts the Cooper negotiations. The Cowboys have committed themselves (due to the trade) to getting this deal done, and 20+/per season could be on the horizon.

I have no idea if this costs them Zeke or Jaylon or what, but tough choices will, no doubt, have to be made.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The game is being played by the agents and they're pinching themselves to make sure they're not dreaming that it would be this easy to drive the boat and be in control. The owners are blinking at every turn.

If the owners develop a stonewall, then that's collusion. But the agents can develop plan to drive the rates on positions, just look at what they've done with QB, DL and WR, to the max before this next CBA is negotiated. These agents aren't just eying a % of their clients' contracts but that fat% that the owners keep.

It's really interesting because the owners only compete in the games and share everything else but it is the agents that are more "all for one" than the owners. They'll pay through the nose for fear another owner would pay more. They're getting played by the agents and are helpless to stop it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The game is being played by the agents and they're pinching themselves to make sure they're not dreaming that it would be this easy to drive the boat and be in control. The owners are blinking at every turn.

If the owners develop a stonewall, then that's collusion. But the agents can develop plan to drive the rates on positions, just look at what they've done with QB, DL and WR, to the max before this next CBA is negotiated. These agents aren't just eying a % of their clients' contracts but that fat% that the owners keep.

It's really interesting because the owners only compete in the games and share everything else but it is the agents that are more "all for one" than the owners. They'll pay through the nose for fear another owner would pay more. They're getting played by the agents and are helpless to stop it.
The teams would have to simply not give in to the agents demands, just laugh and leave the room but as soon as one team agrees then the new market is set.. Wilson got 34 a year as a seasoned QB in what a second contract. Now the egirls instead of staying strong pays wentz 32 a year. He should have gotten 28-30 max.. Maybe less but since they blinked now the market has been set for a QB in his first contract after the rookie deal. We will follow and pay Dak a little more. Next the rams or chiefs will pay even more. I was hearing the chiefs were looking at possibly 40. But now that Wilson took 34 then it may have helped them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The teams would have to simply not give in to the agents demands, just laugh and leave the room but as soon as one team agrees then the new market is set.. Wilson got 34 a year as a seasoned QB in what a second contract. Now the egirls instead of staying strong pays wentz 32 a year. He should have gotten 28-30 max.. Maybe less but since they blinked now the market has been set for a QB in his first contract after the rookie deal. We will follow and pay Dak a little more. Next the rams or chiefs will pay even more. I was hearing the chiefs were looking at possibly 40. But now that Wilson took 34 then it may have helped them.
Mahomes was the main attraction in the NFL last year and actually eclipsed teams like Beckham did after making that catch.

If he doesn't come back to earth, he will get 40 or more because the Chiefs know another owner would pay that. Hell, for an attraction like that, Booger would go higher if he could get him. He'd figure out a way to have Mahomes toss one of those "no looks" and have Taco Bell sponsor "No Look Chalupa" for a free chalupa the next day. The Mavs did this and I was surprised at how nuts fans could get for a free chalupa.

The interesting thing is will the Chiefs try to extend him early or do the unthinkable for their fans, trade him in the biggest deal ever made and the Chiefs use that to take another blue chip QB like Lawrence? No QB in his first full year has taken the NFL like that and if I were the owner, I might be thinking let someone else pay him and make out like a bandit in the draft and save myself some coin at the QB spot.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Mahomes was the main attraction in the NFL last year and actually eclipsed teams like Beckham did after making that catch.

If he doesn't come back to earth, he will get 40 or more because the Chiefs know another owner would pay that. Hell, for an attraction like that, Booger would go higher if he could get him. He'd figure out a way to have Mahomes toss one of those "no looks" and have Taco Bell sponsor "No Look Chalupa" for a free chalupa the next day. The Mavs did this and I was surprised at how nuts fans could get for a free chalupa.

The interesting thing is will the Chiefs try to extend him early or do the unthinkable for their fans, trade him in the biggest deal ever made and the Chiefs use that to take another blue chip QB like Lawrence? No QB in his first full year has taken the NFL like that and if I were the owner, I might be thinking let someone else pay him and make out like a bandit in the draft and save myself some coin at the QB spot.
They will wrap him up after this year. Will be his 3rd year, I think he only played 1 game his rookie year. This year could be a slump year for him. Hard to repeat a year like that.. If he does then they have a choice to make. Trade him and get a unproven but supposed next big QB in the draft along with likely another high 1st rounder and other picks. Save yourself a ton of money for another 3 years. If your new draft pick works out, its a crap shoot. Not every blue chip QB translates from college to the pros. More often than not they don't..

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
This is the exact same tactic as the D-Law "I want to get paid more than Mack". Agents and players start high, teams start low, and they work towards the middle.

As far as Mahomes, I think the Chiefs have to pay him. We only have one season to go off of, but it was an all timer kind of season. Trading him right now would be about like trading Dan Marino after 1984.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
As all these contracts get more out of hand. And with all the stupid rule changes. NFL is ruining itself.
Ticket prices will go up, food and drink prices as well as parking will go up. NFL TV contracts will get bigger, resulting in higher prices passed on to pay for them from the consumers.

Eventually even the routine fans taking their family to a game will be even more priced out. As they will stop going.
Gate and concessions sales such a small part of nfl revenue these days.

It's all about TV.