Report: Michael Thomas seeking $22M per year

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally, I wouldn't bother tagging Zeke. If you're deciding not to give him a long-term deal, just trade him and move on. Rather not have the headache and distraction the tag and him holding out will cost.

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to that, but given his reputation and off-field stuff, I'm not sure exactly what the return might be. And if you even thought about trading him, you would have to do it. Because once the player or his agent found out, he'd never want to stay in Dallas. The die would be cast.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Just a reminder.......2019 franchise tag for WR is $16.7M, so I'm guessing 2020 would range $18M.

I don’t believe Odell’s, Antonio’s, or MT’s deals are factored into that 16.7 because it had to be established when the the franchise tag period opened before FA.

Franchise tag’s value is determined by the average of the top 5 aav contracts of the upcoming season already in place during the FA period in.. March? It’s also based on the maximum contract value, as you’re not allowed to shaft players for incentives someone else has yet to achieve.

Antonio Brown 3 yr 54 m max value = 18m a year
Odell Beckham 5 yr 95 m max value = 19.75m a year
Michael Thomas likely gets a contract close to his 22m max value range with incentives
Julio Jones will likely get a restructure this offseason in the 20+ million range
Evans last year signed for 5 years, 82.5 m = 16.5m a year

So the 2020 WR franchise tag will likely be around 19.5-20m$ range, if we’re not lowballing Julio. Couple that with the fact that you traded a 1 for Amari, it makes too much sense to try and sign him now before the details of the MT contract are revealed

dwreck27

Reaction score
22 mill for a dude that Brees made??

I wouldn’t pay that if I’m the saints

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I wouldn't be entirely opposed to that, but given his reputation and off-field stuff, I'm not sure exactly what the return might be. And if you even thought about trading him, you would have to do it. Because once the player or his agent found out, he'd never want to stay in Dallas. The die would be cast.

We keep hearing we can actually afford the sign them all ( Dak, Zeke, Coop, Jones and even Jaylon Smith ). If we can that's my preference as long as none of the deals exceeds a three-year out.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's let the market be set and just do away with the salary cap. I know...pipe dream....

Right now the owners have as a negotiating point that they are restricted in how much they can spend on salaries, so if the salary cap was removed, that negotiating point would disappear and the market would rise even higher.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As all these contracts get more out of hand. And with all the stupid rule changes. NFL is ruining itself.
Ticket prices will go up, food and drink prices as well as parking will go up. NFL TV contracts will get bigger, resulting in higher prices passed on to pay for them from the consumers.

Eventually even the routine fans taking their family to a game will be even more priced out. As they will stop going.
That is not how any of this works.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everybody gets that Thomas isn't a comp for Amari Cooper, right?

InTheZone

Reaction score
seems like this will adjust the market of QB salaries. Average QBs can no longer be paid highest in league, when they need support, and apparently support isn't cheap anymore.

visionary

Reaction score
Well it’s a good thing our moron GM will I my pay out QB 34mill/year. This way he can pay Cooper 24 mill/year and ‘stay relevant ‘

Good times

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'd rather pay him and draft a running back.

I'd rather pay them both and draft a safety.. Then you can cut them a few years into the contract when the back end money and the cost to keep him and the cost to cut him cancel each other out. By then, you hopefully have their replacements in hand or have bolstered the rest of your roster to the point where you can afford to go after their replacements.

John813

Reaction score
Man, I think Thomas is great and all, but 22mil, 4 over Odell, is crazy. I get negotiations start at polar opposites, but he's asking for a lot.

Especially for a team that could go from Brees to Bridgewater in 2020. Not knocking Teddy, but Brees is a HOF talent and well Teddy was mainly a bus driver before his injury.

JayFord

Reaction score
He’s worth it that dude catches everything thrown his way at one point like 8 weeks into the season he was catching 90% of the balls thrown to him

TheGoat73

Reaction score
As all these contracts get more out of hand. And with all the stupid rule changes. NFL is ruining itself.
Ticket prices will go up, food and drink prices as well as parking will go up. NFL TV contracts will get bigger, resulting in higher prices passed on to pay for them from the consumers.

Eventually even the routine fans taking their family to a game will be even more priced out. As they will stop going.

You know, I have 4 kids ages 8 to 18. They aren’t into sports like when I was growing up. And they aren’t into broadcast TV. I turned cable off and went internet only...they didn’t notice for weeks. I have wondered how this will impact the NFL in 15 years.

Tussinman

Reaction score
They can sign both, the Cowboys have no issue at all with the cap.
2020 with increase and some restructuring they should have around 85 million with like 6 out of there 8 all-pro caliber players already under contract for that year.

People keep freaking out about paying these players but I don't know why. We have GOOD cap space, lots of key players already signed, and most of these deals are generous on the first year or two cap wise.........

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Tank is making 20million a year. When you think about it, which of the two positions mean the most to a franchise? Pro bowl defensive end or pro bowl wide receiver. I know, I know. Ten sack DE's are hard to find and that's why the price is so high. But a receiver actually means more to a franchise than a defensive end. Just saying.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Are you kidding me? 30% of the tickets at AT&T are owned by businesses that turn around and resell them on stubhub for 2 or 3 times what the NFL team is charging. Dont kid yourself... the nfl face value of tickt=ets is a BARGAIN. Try to go to the Cowboys game against the Saints and see if you can get cheaper than about 300 bucks for upper level seats. The Saints are probably charging about 80 dollars for that same ticket.

rags747

Reaction score
Saints need to call his bluff, he can sit all he wants. Jets rb decided to sit out the year with the Steelers and he lost bigly. Let’s see what the year lay-off does for his skill set.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Amari cooper has played in 14 more games than Thomas, and Thomas has about 40 more catches for roughly same amount of TDs and yards. Sorry, Cooper doesnt get Thomas same money. Now Cooper does have Dak now, so Cooper might catch up to thmas career numbers in this season alone.....