Report: Mike McCarthy want to keep Moore as OC, but he's considing college job **merged**

reddyuta

Reaction score
no brainer to me,Mccarthy is temporary,if Moore continues to build or offense he is a shoe in to be our next HC .

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Could you imagine being 30 years old and having offers to be at one of the top positions of the entire company of Walmart. Then Shopko called and offered you a job too. Boy, tough decision he has.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore was not the problem this year.

He could have called some better games in big moments -- but as a first year OC, he was always going to take some lumps. To finish with the #1 rated offense statistically (albeit a bit hollow) is not an incidental achievement. He is well thought of around the league and clearly has the chops to perform at this level-- even under a dysfunctional HC/FO without much support from a defense, or getting anything from the STs unit.

Not sure why everyone seems to want to run the guy off-- I hope he stays and is groomed by MM. He could be a really great OC for us next year.

My one concern is that there isn't currently a 'run guy' among the offensive coaches. That's been a problem for years in my opinion. A bunch of pass Happy quarterbacks running things for a decade now. And one criticism of McCarthy offense's? You guessed it, being pass happy. I hope there's a voice for the importance of running that football.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I don’t gets some hate of Moore
First year play caller
Pretty good offensive season

i dont get it either,if i would have told you that we would have the no 1 offense before the season then you would take that,sure he can call better run plays and get better in the red zone but i want him to stay.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If things go well the next few years, he will be pretty hot property. Perhaps even stay with the Cowboys after Big Mike leaves.

Yeah, I think McCarthy is basically guaranteed three years at least, but likely not more than that if he doesn't produce results.

Besides, with the #1 offense in yards this year, Moore is likely already getting attention in the league. So if not here, somewhere, and soon.

reddyuta

Reaction score
My one concern is that there isn't currently a 'run guy' among the offensive coaches. That's been a problem for years in my opinion. A bunch of pass Happy quarterbacks running things for a decade now. And one criticism of McCarthy offense's? You guessed it, being pass happy. I hope there's a voice for the importance of running that football.

running game was pretty stale,teams knew when and where would we run the majority of the time,something to correct with better analytics.

Carson

Reaction score
Could you imagine being 30 years old and having offers to be at one of the top positions of the entire company of Walmart. Then Shopko called and offered you a job too. Boy, tough decision he has.

Question is though, if I screw up at wal mart I can always go to shopko. If I screw up at shopko, I won’t get back to Walmart!

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Agree 100%. MM hasn't ever had a guy like Zeke though. Hopefully having an upgrade at talent at RB and a downgrade at talent at QB influences his offensive philosophy.

I do think it will be interesting if he can teach our OL the "GB holding" technique that never gets called by the refs. And we should finally be able to run a damn screen pass now lol...

817Gill

Reaction score
Career wise idk why Moore would leave. He has two more statistical seasons similar to last year and he’s gonna be the hot young OC on the coaching market.

He has a legit chance at being an NFL HC I feel like going down to college slows that down so much

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I really hope Moore stays. He can learn a lot from McCarthy over the years. Yes Moore made some mistakes this year but I saw a better offense from him than I did Garrett in over 9 years.

Was it, though? I get all the stats and numbers but it was still way too inconsistent at times and it was either very good or very bad. No real in between. A lot those stats came against weak teams and then padding stats when we were down big. There were things to like in the first few games with all the disguises and keeping the defense on their heels but we reverted back to the same ol same ol starting with the Saints game.

sean10mm

Reaction score
It's a bit of a myth that McCarthy doesn't run the ball. In 2013-14-15 he ran the ball a little more than league average, but then Eddie Lacy hit the wall at only 26 in 2016.

When Ryan Grant was a decent RB for a couple of seasons early in his tenure they ran the ball a decent amount too.

Mostly he goes pass happy when his running backs are trash. But he wasn't GM in Green Bay.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
One thing Jerry said that should resonate with many fans is that he went with Moore because he wanted new and fresh ideas and someone who is willing to take chances. Then he said that didn't turn out the way he had envisioned it. That should tell you that even Jerry is skeptical at this point. Bring in an OC that has been around a while. If Moore wants to stay, he has to become an understudy. You don't go from working in the basement of a company to being CEO without working your way up through the ranks. Garrett is proof of that.

pansophy

Reaction score
One thing Jerry said that should resonate with many fans is that he went with Moore because he wanted new and fresh ideas and someone who is willing to take chances. Then he said that didn't turn out the way he had envisioned it. That should tell you that even Jerry is skeptical at this point. Bring in an OC that has been around a while. If Moore wants to stay, he has to become an understudy. You don't go from working in the basement of a company to being CEO without working your way up through the ranks. Garrett is proof of that.
Why does anyone even think Moore has head coaching aspirations? Anything I've seen is that he loves offensive football. Being a head coach is a completely different job. I would want Moore, if for no other reason, to help Dak's transition to new offensive concepts. He just turned the corner, we are about to commit to him long term, and its basically the worst time to change the whole offense and coaches on him.

I hope Moore stays, and by the way the offense was pretty productive.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree, I'd very much like him to stay and continue to help build this offense. I think we'd be better off with both McCarthy and Moore working together than not.
Agreed, as long as we don't end up with "duel OC's" a la the duel DC's with Marinelli and Richard.

My observation is that Moore is very creative and makes use of advanced for trends, etc. This could be a good marriage with MM's experience.

Maybe we call it the M&M Offense??

:thumbup:

EJK24

Reaction score
I will say before the Garrett firing I wanted the staff wiped out entirely and still would be ok with that, however, for Moore, I think it would be good for him to stay under McCarthy for a season.

If he stays with McCarthy for a year he can learn things from him being that hes a veteran coach with alot of experience. Pick his brain and learn things you may not on a college level. Afterwards, he could go be an OC elsewhere and be better equipped. I liked some of the motion and pistol formations we began to use more of under Moore.

I think he still young and inexperienced to be in full control of an offense but he seems like a smart kid who could really become something much bigger if he puts in the time. He may feel his one year calling plays was successful enough that he wants more control of an offense where he can design the whole thing and call plays. If that's the case, college is probably better suited for him so early in his career but who knows.

If he leaves because he thinks it's best then good luck to him and it wont bother me much but I do think it could be good for us and him if he stays.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Why does anyone even think Moore has head coaching aspirations? Anything I've seen is that he loves offensive football. Being a head coach is a completely different job. I would want Moore, if for no other reason, to help Dak's transition to new offensive concepts. He just turned the corner, we are about to commit to him long term, and its basically the worst time to change the whole offense and coaches on him.

I hope Moore stays, and by the way the offense was pretty productive.
Who mentioned anything about him being a head coach? I said an understudy so he can become seasoned in coaching and then take over as OC.

Sandyf

Reaction score
With Moore calling the plays we were the #1 offense in the NFL this year so why would anyone want to get rid of him. The problem was in how Garrett managed things and that will be much different under McCarthy. Maybe Moore goes, maybe not but from a career standpoint if Dallas has another top 5 offense next year and no reason we shouldn't then not only would Moore have a shot at an HC job in college but could very well have a shot at an NFL HC job like McVay did with the Rams.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I want a fresh coaching staff, I don't want any residue from Garrett left on this team.
Complete sweep.

If we are keeping assistants then limit the amount of input to game day decisions.

Guys like Sanjay did fine. Guys like Brown the RB coach are on a bubble becuz the offense is going to a West Coast Offense philosophy where the RBs are weapons in the offense.

Right now, they are merely outlet receivers as 3rd or 4th options near the LOS.

That is changing.