Report: NFL could push for 18-game schedule in labor talks

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
inevitable and eventually will happen.
entire nonsense on marijuana and discipline last couple years has been to long game these extra 2 games.

players will want money concessions too and that is where line will be drawn imho.

i expect this to happen.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Of course this will happen sooner or later. It means a lot more revenue for the teams, which ultimately means more money for the players. Here, as always, follow the money.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Of course this will happen sooner or later. It means a lot more revenue for the teams, which ultimately means more money for the players. Here, as always, follow the money.
The NFLPA is advising the players right now, to look out for their money, leading to a 2021 lockout year.

The NFL will have to give up more as to salary and player protections...and the players are showing some resolve now. I don't know, with how media social trends are adapting at present.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not sure this will fly with players and frankly I don't blame them. Why should they agree to two additional games when they can get paid the same money for 16 games. Concessions on the marijuana policy won't cut it either coz I'm sure players with say hell I don't smoke so why should agree to that. Just me, but the only way I see players agreeing this is new money from an additional percentage of revenues.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...uld-push-for-18-game-schedule-in-labor-talks/

Report: NFL could push for 18-game schedule in labor talks
Posted by Charean Williams on May 29, 2019, 6:54 PM EDT
The NFL could seek an 18-game regular season or an expanded playoff field in a new labor deal, Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports. In return, Maske says, many owners are willing to offer players concessions to the commissioner’s disciplinary authority and to the marijuana policy.

Maske quoted a high-ranking official with one NFL team saying “some owners . . . would like to expand the season” to 18 games but added it’s not clear “if there is much support from the players on that.”

They increase roster sizes and players would make MORE money than they do now. Im all for it. If the sport is just far to dangerous, dont play it. They would drop 2 of the ****** pre season games also.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The NCAA would love that and move some more games to Sunday's and might get some more NFL fans back into the fold. I used to have to choose, Sat or Sun but not both. Since I've been doing both for 8 years now, there is too much of a good thing because I find myself running out of steam.

I also wonder about the fan aspect of this. The owners are all billionaires and there are players making 30-35M a year, I wouldn't tempt the fans without a season because they might just not miss it as much as the owners and players think.

bahahahahahhahhhahhahah.... the NFL is BY FAR the most popular sport and it isnt close. Fans would be dying if the NFL season was not played, and they would be running back as soon as games resumed. I personalyy dont care if these guys play 20 games. Has the Pats players all been injured more and living with fried brains due to all those extra games after the reg season ends.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
And the scheduling is a joke as well. Why schedule division games with the first game? These are critical games and the teams deserve the opportunity to get up to full speed to play the first one. I would schedule the opening game with all interconference games.
yeah they should do that.
But hey Jerry and the other owners need more money so no telling what they will do.
It is hard to get by on a billion a year or however many 100 millions they make.

I think 16 game season is enough, but would not mind having 2 more WC teams per conference.

Little Jr

Reaction score
The NFLPA is advising the players right now, to look out for their money, leading to a 2021 lockout year.

The NFL will have to give up more as to salary and player protections...and the players are showing some resolve now. I don't know, with how media social trends are adapting at present.
They told the players the same thing last time and they were still calling their reps wanting it to end. It won't be any different than last time. MAYBE 2 games and they'll cave.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
The football season is too short. Two extra games with an extra bye week would be awesome.

Go and give each team three bye weeks for all I care. I want football to last longer!

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Okay, cut PS to two games.

Have an 18 game regular season.

Allow all 53 players to be active every week.

No individual player is allowed to participate in more than 14 regular season games.

Get rid of the bye week but have 1 off week prior to the wildcard round.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
The football season is too short. Two extra games with an extra bye week would be awesome.

Go and give each team three bye weeks for all I care. I want football to last longer!
The problem with more bye weeks is that the more downtime some players get, the more likely they are to 'unwind' by punching women and getting high.

Little Jr

Reaction score
  • Workouts cannot begin prior to the first Monday in April for clubs with a new head coach or the third Monday in April for all other clubs

• Maximum 4 w/o per week (no weekends), with one week being the mandatory minicamp (not permitted on weekends)

• Contact work is prohibited in all workouts (e.g. "live" blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run, etc.)

• Intensity and tempo of drills should be at a level conducive to learning, with player safty as the highest priority.

Two weeks | Limited to strength and conditioning activities ("dead ball"); only strength and conditioning coaches allowed on field
  • 90 minute max on the field

• Clubs can only specify 2 hours for players to be at the facility

• Players choose the other 2 hours

• No offense vs. defense, no one - on - one, no helmets

• 3 weeks for 10 total OTA’s

• A maximum of 3 OTA’s each week for the first 2 weeks

• During Weeks 1 & 2 a 4th non OTA workout is allowed but phase two rules apply

• A maximum of 4 OTA’s for the 3rd or 4th week

• One week for mini camp

• No pads except protective knee and elbow pads, helmets are permitted

• No live contact

• 7 on 7, 9 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills will be permitted provided no live contact takes place

• Practices Tuesday-Thursday, with a day off on friday

• Allowed two practices totaling 3 ½ Hours on the field per day

• Second practice limited to walk through activities only

These are some rules for the offseason. Add to it, Oklahoma drill and others eliminated, only 1 padded practice a day in TC and only 14 padded practices during a 16 game season.

And people say 2 more games is too much? They don't do **** for practice anymore. Pee wew team's do more than this. My son's high school football team would love this schedule and rules.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
  • Workouts cannot begin prior to the first Monday in April for clubs with a new head coach or the third Monday in April for all other clubs

• Maximum 4 w/o per week (no weekends), with one week being the mandatory minicamp (not permitted on weekends)

• Contact work is prohibited in all workouts (e.g. "live" blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run, etc.)

• Intensity and tempo of drills should be at a level conducive to learning, with player safty as the highest priority.

Two weeks | Limited to strength and conditioning activities ("dead ball"); only strength and conditioning coaches allowed on field
  • 90 minute max on the field

• Clubs can only specify 2 hours for players to be at the facility

• Players choose the other 2 hours

• No offense vs. defense, no one - on - one, no helmets

• 3 weeks for 10 total OTA’s

• A maximum of 3 OTA’s each week for the first 2 weeks

• During Weeks 1 & 2 a 4th non OTA workout is allowed but phase two rules apply

• A maximum of 4 OTA’s for the 3rd or 4th week

• One week for mini camp

• No pads except protective knee and elbow pads, helmets are permitted

• No live contact

• 7 on 7, 9 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills will be permitted provided no live contact takes place

• Practices Tuesday-Thursday, with a day off on friday

• Allowed two practices totaling 3 ½ Hours on the field per day

• Second practice limited to walk through activities only

These are some rules for the offseason. Add to it, Oklahoma drill and others eliminated, only 1 padded practice a day in TC and only 14 padded practices during a 16 game season.

And people say 2 more games is too much? They don't do **** for practice anymore. Pee wew team's do more than this. My son's high school football team would love this schedule and rules.

This is really a great point. Honestly two extra games is awesome. The highest rated programs are all football. Way more money for everyone involved. Way more money for gambling sites and fantasy leagues and networks and owners and players.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Okay, cut PS to two games.

Have an 18 game regular season.

Allow all 53 players to be active every week.

No individual player is allowed to participate in more than 14 regular season games.

Get rid of the bye week but have 1 off week prior to the wildcard round.

Some of this is good.

They need 18 games for more TV $$$.

They will keep the bye.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With pre season and the HOF game were already at 20-21 games. Flipping 2 of those games to regular season games if players want guaranteed contracts or more money in general helps offset the cost. Will need to expand the cap and rosters as well. But I hope they keep the same format. It currently makes for interesting roster building having to make tough decisions on some good players etc.