Report on Brooks' workout today (Brandt)

Angus

Reaction score
Update on Brooks, 6/22

Brooks held a workout for pro scouts on June 22 at the University of Virginia. On a 96-degree day and the heat index up at 110, Brooks ran on AstroTurf and worked out on grass that was dried-out. Bengals linebacker coach Ricky Hunley conducted the workout. There were representatives from 31 teams at the workout, with only the Vikings not in attendance. Mike Nolan from the 49ers was the only head coach there. He was joined by San Francisco VP of player personnel Scot McCloughan. Brooks will work out for the 49ers at their place for two days next week. Randy Mueller of the Dolphins, Mike Murphy from the Cowboys and Calvin Branch from the Raiders were also there. Brooks lost 32 pounds in 10 weeks (he was measured at 6-foot-3, 260 pounds) and passed five drug tests in the last 10 weeks. He ran three times, timed at 4.68, 4.75 and 4.74 in the 40, with 10-yard splits of 1.53, 1.58 and 1.58 and 20-yard splits of 2.73, 2.75 and 2.75. His arm span measured 33½ inches and his hands measured 9½. He had a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-8 long jump, a 4.43 short shuttle, an 11.84 long shuttle, a 7.43 three-cone drill and 19 benches. The conditions were not really good, just average.

The day before the workout, Brooks met with John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie (GB), had a meeting with Ricky Hunley (CIN) and had dinner with Jerry Reese (NYG).

Brooks, who played linebacker in college but might project as a Julius Peppers-type defensive end in the pros, missed six games with a right knee injury last year. He visited Dr. James Andrews on June 12 for the knee to be examined and that report was made available to all NFL teams.

Brooks' father, Perry Brooks, was a defensive tackle whom New England drafted in Round 7 in 1976. He never played for New England but played 92 games for Washington.

He will continue to work out under Chip Smith in Atlanta.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
If you look at him as an ILB...running a 4.7 is fine. As an ILB he is a beast. As an OLB these numbers are not impressive...compared to Ware and Carpenter.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
His 10 yard time is BLAZING FAST!!! It's the same as Lawson....

Shaun

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
If you look at him as an ILB...running a 4.7 is fine. As an ILB he is a beast. As an OLB these numbers are not impressive...compared to Ware and Carpenter.

He won't have run 40 yds. But I am unfamilar with what a good 10 yd split is. Does anyone know?

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Put him on a track and he prolly hits it. I would be curious to see what 'not good but average' conditions looks like.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
His character is what concerns me. If we picked him up with a 3rd or lower I think I would be ok with it. I mean, if we can waste a 2nd on some real crap over the years, what's wrong with a 3rd?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
The scary part is that he'd gotten up to 292 (260 plus 32). Anytime a player lets himself go like that, it raises serious questions about what they're going to do once they get NFL $$$ in their pockets.

That type of thing turns an early first day prospect into a late second day value. Do you take the gamble that he eats himself out of the league in two years?

Also, remember how Petitti was worn down towards the end of the season because he spent his spring, early summer losing weight?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I don't see us having a big interest in the guy at this point.

I would love to see us put out misinformation that we were interested so we could dupe someone into spending a top choice on him ala Tony Hollings.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Brooks lost 32 pounds in 10 weeks (he was measured at 6-foot-3, 260 pounds) and passed five drug tests in the last 10 weeks.
He ran three times, timed at 4.68, 4.75 and 4.74 in the 40.

His 10-yard splits were1.53, 1.58 and 1.58.

His 20-yard splits were 2.73, 2.75 and 2.75.

His arm span measured 33½ inches and his hands measured 9½.

He had a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-8 long jump

He ran 4.43 short shuttle, an 11.84 long shuttle, a 7.43 three-cone drill

He did 19 Bench Reps of 225