Report on Brooks' workout today (Brandt)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Again, nothing has changed.

He is a 5th round prospect by those numbers.

He lost 30 pounds and runs a 4.7 40 with low bench totals-19. He is projected as a rush end by many. I am fairly certain few NFL folks have dreams of keeping his weight below 275 pounds.

The scary part for me is that he was asked to take a bunch of drug tests in succession which is a sign he was kicked off the team at Virginia for failed drug tests.

If thats the case a 5th round prospect (worth a 4th in the supp using the draft value chart) should get passed on. Too little reward for the risk.

BTW, the best athlete I have ever seen was former Cowboys WR Kevin Williams. Thats including all the big 12/SWC guys I saw at Tech. Williams was 10 times the athlete of Zach Thomas but Thomas was the better player by far in the NFL. The one thing about the NFL is you have to have a skillset that fits into a position.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Pedestrian numbers?? In simple rebuttal to that ludicrous claim, I offer one fact:

He was one of three finalists for the Butkus Award his sophomore year in college... that means he was considered one of the three best linebackers in college ball that year... clearly, calling his numbers "pedestrian" is asinine...

The fact he was a Butkus finalist has nothing to do with his measureable numbers (weight and 40), which is what I believe was the point.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, where does Carpenter rank on those numbers (with speed and strength)?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Out of curiosity, where does Carpenter rank on those numbers (with speed and strength)?
I do not have all the totals but he lifted 1 more rep at 225 with 20. He ran a 4.65 and 4.68 making him a step faster. He had 2.5 inches more on his vertical jump.

So he was a little stronger and a little quicker it appears.

He, like Brooks, was coming off of injury which is probably worth noting for folks using that as a crutch to boost Brooks' numbers.

What is clear is that Brooks should not have gotten himself kicked off the Virginia team and should have returned next season to get healthier, in better shape and put up solid numbers before entering the draft. Right now his story is scarily similar to Maurice Clarett's.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I think that he ends up as a rush end. He had to lose a lot of weight to get down to 260. Get him on an NFL training program and he bulks up to 275-280 without a doubt. I doubt that he plays LB in the NFL for more than a year or two at most.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
He, like Brooks, was coming off of injury which is probably worth noting for folks using that as a crutch to boost Brooks' numbers.

Brooks is many, many months removed from his injury, and it wasn't a major reconstructive surgery to begin with. On face value, it shouldn't have bothered him as much in college as it has. It smells like a degenerative condition. You mentioned you were worried that he was going through frequent drug tests, I'm worried that he had to have the knee examined by Dr. Andrews (who specializes in microfracture surgery).

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Brooks should just fill out that McDonald's application and learn how to work the fryer. He's doomed. :)

Alexander

Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke said:
I think that he ends up as a rush end. He had to lose a lot of weight to get down to 260. Get him on an NFL training program and he bulks up to 275-280 without a doubt. I doubt that he plays LB in the NFL for more than a year or two at most.

It has been mentioned before. He might eventually be like Keith Traylor was, a linebacker who outgrew (or ate) his position.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Shopping for Supplements

By Rafael Vela

With the NFL’s supplemental draft approaching, scouts gathered this week to assess former Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks, the top prospect in this year’s very small group.

According to the Boston Herald, representatives from 22 teams watched Brooks run through a battery of drills. He weighed in at 260 lbs. and ran two 40s. One averaged in the low 4.5s and the other was just under 4.7. Brooks benched 225 lbs. a disappointing 19 times.

I doubt the Cowboys would select Brooks unless he was available in the third round. Bill Parcells is on record that he loves linebackers and tight ends and will stockpile good ones any time they become available. Brooks is a talented one. He’s also had disciplinary and accountability problems which won’t do him any favors.

If interest is any indication, Brooks will likely become a 49er. ‘Niners coach Mike Nolan attended the workout. He was the only HC to do so.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I think Brooks should just fill out that McDonald's application and learn how to work the fryer. He's doomed. :)
Darren Hambrick will be training him :D

burmafrd

Reaction score
Despite claims from some who seem to want to ride Brooks jock like Kartr rides Q, this guy is not a first rd prospect. Or even 2nd rd.

mrecktid

Reaction score
Who care about his "baggage?"

T.O. has a TON of "baggage," I'm sure he'll fit in fine.

Keyshawn was great in his short time as a Cowboy.

We passed on Randy Moss because of "baggage" and got a solid, but not spectacular Greg Ellis.

We passed on Shawne Merriman because of "baggage" and got a solid, but not yet spectacular DeMarcus Ware.

If Parcells could work his magic on Keyshawn, LT, and T.O. I'm sure Brooks can't be that bad.

BigDave95

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
You mentioned you were worried that he was going through frequent drug tests, I'm worried that he had to have the knee examined by Dr. Andrews (who specializes in microfracture surgery).

Dr Andrews doesn't just specialize in microfracture surgery. He's an orthopedic surgeon who does everything from scopes to complete reconstructions. He's the most highly regarded knee guru in the country which is why they got his opinion. His involvement doesn't in any way suggest Brooks needs microfracture surgery.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
BigDave95 said:
Dr Andrews doesn't just specialize in microfracture surgery. He's an orthopedic surgeon who does everything from scopes to complete reconstructions. He's the most highly regarded knee guru in the country which is why they got his opinion. His involvement doesn't in any way suggest Brooks needs microfracture surgery.

Andrews also does elbow and shoulder surgery also doesn't he. Maybe its all joint related injuries.

Shaun

Reaction score
mrecktid said:
Who care about his "baggage?"

T.O. has a TON of "baggage," I'm sure he'll fit in fine.

Keyshawn was great in his short time as a Cowboy.

We passed on Randy Moss because of "baggage" and got a solid, but not spectacular Greg Ellis.

We passed on Shawne Merriman because of "baggage" and got a solid, but not yet spectacular DeMarcus Ware.

If Parcells could work his magic on Keyshawn, LT, and T.O. I'm sure Brooks can't be that bad.

Merriman didn't have any better of a season than Ware did.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Yeah, when you FINALLY get healthy enough to work out again, and you drop 30-odd pounds in 10 weeks, that shows a drive that can be carried over on to the football field... it takes discipline to do that, a force of will...

I give him credit for losing the weight but I don't really give him a free pass for putting it on. Being hurt doesn't mean you have to become a blimp. That shows a lack of discipline to me.

And though Brooks has answered the questions about his weight, he plans on continuing his workout regimen with his trainers until he's actually drafted by somebody, and on his way to camp...
He gets no props for doing what pretty much every guy who plans to play a sport for a living does.

And I repeat, the ONLY reason he was fat in the first place was because he had all kinds of injuries going on... prior to getting hurt, conditioning was never once an issue in his career...

I don't work out every day and I don't weigh 280. Where's my medal?:wink2:

Yeah, you haters all say that... and it's really stupid, every time...

Pedestrian numbers?? In simple rebuttal to that ludicrous claim, I offer one fact:

He was one of three finalists for the Butkus Award his sophomore year in college... that means he was considered one of the three best linebackers in college ball that year... clearly, calling his numbers "pedestrian" is asinine...

..and Kai Parham was projected as a 2nd rounder until he ran a turtlish 40. Being a Butkus candidate doesn't change the fact that those workout #'s are nothing special.

Once again, absent facts, you go spewing juvenile bile... simply put, you have no idea that he's an "addict"... all you know is that twice now, marijuana has messed him up...

To go from those two episodes to claims of "addiction" just shows how profoundly mindless your hatred is...

Is Quincy an addict? Don't know. Don't care. Whether he is or isn't is not relevant in the NFL. You don't need to be an addict. 2 positive tests is a red flag IMO. A guy who knows he has pro potential and still can't stay away from the chronic is either stupid or irresponsible. Even if it's just 2 isolated incidents, which I can't see how you'd be able to know that, it increases the risk factor and knocks him down a couple rounds. If his workout #'s warranted him to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder at best he's a 4th or 5th rounder in my opinion with the drug history.

Alexander

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
I give him credit for losing the weight but I don't really give him a free pass for putting it on. Being hurt doesn't mean you have to become a blimp. That shows a lack of discipline to me.

He gets no props for doing what pretty much every guy who plans to play a sport for a living does.

I don't work out every day and I don't weigh 280. Where's my medal?:wink2:

..and Kai Parham was projected as a 2nd rounder until he ran a turtlish 40. Being a Butkus candidate doesn't change the fact that those workout #'s are nothing special.

Is Quincy an addict? Don't know. Don't care. Whether he is or isn't is not relevant in the NFL. You don't need to be an addict. 2 positive tests is a red flag IMO. A guy who knows he has pro potential and still can't stay away from the chronic is either stupid or irresponsible. Even if it's just 2 isolated incidents, which I can't see how you'd be able to know that, it increases the risk factor and knocks him down a couple rounds. If his workout #'s warranted him to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder at best he's a 4th or 5th rounder in my opinion with the drug history.

Be prepared to be called a "hater".

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Be prepared to be called a "hater".

:laugh1: Nah, bear's ok. He's a UVA fan so he's rooting for Brooks, I get that. And the way he defends Brooks he should be his agent. Some people have made some over the top charges against Brooks. My view is simple, he had an ok workout, not great and limited or not he has a drug history. I have no dog in this debate either way. But when I put what I see in a bag and shake it up it doesn't come out as a 1st day pick.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Alexander said:
The fact he was a Butkus finalist has nothing to do with his measureable numbers (weight and 40), which is what I believe was the point.

When I read "pedestrian numbers", my mind starts thinking statistics... in that context, of course being a Butkus finalist is relevant...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Despite claims from some who seem to want to ride Brooks jock like Kartr rides Q

This from a guy who turns into a rabid dog every time Brooks' name is mentioned, even though he makes it abundantly clear he doesn't really know much about Ahmad...

So, did Brooks p*ss in your corn flakes??