Report on Brooks' workout today (Brandt)

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
I give him credit for losing the weight but I don't really give him a free pass for putting it on. Being hurt doesn't mean you have to become a blimp. That shows a lack of discipline to me.

Perhaps you're seeing what you want to see... there have been players in the past who got really heavy when they were hurt, then turned around and got back in shape once they were healthy again...

..and Kai Parham was projected as a 2nd rounder until he ran a turtlish 40. Being a Butkus candidate doesn't change the fact that those workout #'s are nothing special.

I'd say a knowledgeable football fan would expect a guy to be at something less than his physical best if he's just dropped 30 plus pounds in 10 weeks...

Some of y'all might want to believe that Brooks is really a 4.7 40 guy, but of course if he was that slow, the Cavs would never have had him returning kickoffs for them (they had Alvin Pearman and Wali Lundy available for that duty)... as for the 19 reps in the bench press, bet ya that a few weeks from now, he'll be putting up better numbers than that...

You don't need to be an addict. 2 positive tests is a red flag IMO.

Of course that's true... but it's the only LEGITIMATE concern with Brooks... I repeat, the ONLY legitimate concern...

And of course, I wasn't the one who called Brooks an "addict", I was in fact ridiculing those who did...

If his workout #'s warranted him to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder at best he's a 4th or 5th rounder in my opinion with the drug history.

Bet ya somebody spends a first day pick on him, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was as low as a 2nd rounder...

I'm on record saying I don't think the Boys ought to go that high, in fact I wouldn't put in a claim for him before the 4th round, and if that ain't good enough, so be it...

It's not like the Boys have a desperate need at ILB, but if the report Groh gives Parcells is favorable enough to suit them, and the price is right, they'd be wise to draft him...

silverbear

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
:laugh1: Nah, bear's ok. He's a UVA fan so he's rooting for Brooks, I get that. And the way he defends Brooks he should be his agent. Some people have made some over the top charges against Brooks.

Those clowns are the ones who got me defending Brooks so vigorously...

My view is simple, he had an ok workout, not great and limited or not he has a drug history. I have no dog in this debate either way. But when I put what I see in a bag and shake it up it doesn't come out as a 1st day pick.

Hey, I don't want the Boys using a first day pick on him, either...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
silverbear said:
Those clowns are the ones who got me defending Brooks so vigorously...

Hey, I don't want the Boys using a first day pick on him, either...

You know SB I think Brooks could end up being a decent player... however the weight gain thing along with some of the other issues indicate to me that he's an undisciplined individual-- that I have a problem with.

burmafrd

Reaction score
When someone rides a players jock as hard as you are riding Brooks- JUST like Kartr with Q- I just HAVE to take a few pokes at you. Just HAVE to.
Brooks did not look great at his workout-FACT. GOOD only.
He blimped up - ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS NOT EAT THAT MUCH- just a LITTLE self DISCIPLINE and he would not have blimped- HE COULDN'T DO EVEN THAT.
EVEN THOUGH he KNEW it was a critical time for him.
You cannot accept those FACTS - just like Kartr cannot accept the fact that Q was a 3rd-4th rd prospect with moderate skills and just barely there mentality added to a drug problem.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
silverbear said:
When I read "pedestrian numbers", my mind starts thinking statistics... in that context, of course being a Butkus finalist is relevant...

But I think the pedestrian numbers was about his workout numbers (40, bench).

Only a foolish person would claim he wasn't a productive collegiate. When he actually played, that is.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Shaun said:
Merriman didn't have any better of a season than Ware did.
And we only passed on Merriman because of Baggage if thats what you call the Poston's now.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Perhaps you're seeing what you want to see... there have been players in the past who got really heavy when they were hurt, then turned around and got back in shape once they were healthy again...

Maybe so...but packing it on because you're hurt doesn't really add up to me for Brooks or anyone else.

I'd say a knowledgeable football fan would expect a guy to be at something less than his physical best if he's just dropped 30 plus pounds in 10 weeks...

I agree, but it's sorta like waking up late on the day of your job interview and then looking for a pass because you stuttered during the interview.

Some of y'all might want to believe that Brooks is really a 4.7 40 guy, but of course if he was that slow, the Cavs would never have had him returning kickoffs for them (they had Alvin Pearman and Wali Lundy available for that duty)... as for the 19 reps in the bench press, bet ya that a few weeks from now, he'll be putting up better numbers than that...

I wouldn't be surprised if that's true.

Of course that's true... but it's the only LEGITIMATE concern with Brooks... I repeat, the ONLY legitimate concern...

It's the only serious one I have...but it is a serious one.

Bet ya somebody spends a first day pick on him, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was as low as a 2nd rounder...

You never know but I personally would be surprised if he goes before the 3rd.

I'm on record saying I don't think the Boys ought to go that high, in fact I wouldn't put in a claim for him before the 4th round, and if that ain't good enough, so be it...

Sounds like you're in general agreement with most on this.

It's not like the Boys have a desperate need at ILB, but if the report Groh gives Parcells is favorable enough to suit them, and the price is right, they'd be wise to draft him...

Again that makes good sense to me- but for me the "price being right" is the 5th, although if we took him in the 4th I wouldn't be upset.

silverbear

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
You know SB I think Brooks could end up being a decent player... however the weight gain thing along with some of the other issues indicate to me that he's an undisciplined individual-- that I have a problem with.

And I think that Brooks has just proven pretty clearly that the "weight gain thing" is no thing at all...

He got hurt, he put on weight; he got healthy, he took the weight off... get back to me if he ever blimps up without having undergone some injury or injuries that keep him from working out...

Now, if you had said that the weed issue suggested a lack of discipline, I would have said you had a legitimate view... but I'm sorry, those who are still harping on the weight thing are just looking for reasons to trash the guy, beyond the weed thing...

silverbear

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
When someone rides a players jock as hard as you are riding Brooks- JUST like Kartr with Q- I just HAVE to take a few pokes at you. Just HAVE to.

Yeah, that's right, burma, you're only acting like Brooks turned you down for a date because I stood up for him...

Never mind that I only stood up for him because you and dbair were trashing him...

Brooks did not look great at his workout-FACT. GOOD only.

ROTFLMAO... if even YOU concede that he had a good workout, how do you explain the series of posts you've made ragging on his "pedestrian numbers"...

Talk out of both sides of your mouth much??

He blimped up - ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS NOT EAT THAT MUCH- just a LITTLE self DISCIPLINE and he would not have blimped- HE COULDN'T DO EVEN THAT.

Yeah, shame on a guy who has spent the previous coupla years trying to ADD bulk for not being able to switch over to a tofu diet at the drop of a hat...

EVEN THOUGH he KNEW it was a critical time for him.

Actually, he didn't... he THOUGHT he was coming back to UVa for his senior season, so he THOUGHT he could work his way back into shape a bit more gradually...

It was once it became clear that he wouldn't be going back to school that he began working out furiously...

You cannot accept those FACTS -

Actually, there isn't a fact that I don't accept-- unlike you, who keep on squawking about "pedestrian numbers", claiming that he wouldn't be any better than any of the lienbackers we already have... in fact, you keep on repeating the same stupid, discredited BS over and over again, like some demented parrot...

The difference between you and me is you see his workout numbers, and assume that's the best he's got... while I realize that a guy who had to be so focused on dropping weight, a guy who has lost over 30 pounds in the last 10 weeks, is gonna be physically weaker than is his norm... but I also know that now that he's gotten back to his "playing weight", he can now focus on rebuilding his strength and explosion... bet that by the start of training camp, he'll be doing at least 25 reps in the bench press...

I also know that his tests were conducted in somewhat less than optimal conditions, and that his first 40 times were significantly better than his next two, which speaks to the heat fatiguing him... and of course, he didn't run his 40s on an ultrafast rubber track, like so many prospects do in their Pro Day workouts, he ran instead on AstroTurf-- not a slow surface, but slower than a track would have been...

So if (as has been recently reported), Ahmad ran his first 40 in the mid to upper 4.5s, that suggests he's capable of running in the low 4.5s on a fast track... which was precisely his rep before he got hurt, that he could really run for a big guy...

But no, the Cowboys couldn't possibly use a 260 pound ILB who can run the 40 in under 4.6 seconds... I mean, they have SO MANY of them already on the roster to choose from... never mind that none of THEM have ever been a finalist for the Butkus Award...

silverbear

Reaction score
Alexander said:
But I think the pedestrian numbers was about his workout numbers (40, bench).

Rereading what he wrote in that context, you might be right... but disputing that is a more recent claim he made in this thread, which characterized Brooks' workout as "good"...

Only a foolish person would claim he wasn't a productive collegiate. When he actually played, that is.

You mean, somebody foolish enough to claim that Brooks is no better than any of the ILBs we already have on the roster??

That was another burma claim, from another thread... went to great lengths to defend that position he did (only he cherry-picked just two LBs for his argument-- Carpenter and Burnett-- neither one of whom was an INSIDE backer in college)...

silverbear

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Maybe so...but packing it on because you're hurt doesn't really add up to me for Brooks or anyone else.

Look at it this way-- for the best part of the previous 2 years, Brooks had been working diligently on ADDING bulk... that may well have involved a special diet featuring a rather large caloric intake... then, suddenly you're hurt, not able to work out the way you had been doing quite diligently...

If you've become acclimated to packing away a large number of calories daily, you're not likely gonna be able to switch over to diet mode at the drop of a hat...

I agree, but it's sorta like waking up late on the day of your job interview and then looking for a pass because you stuttered during the interview.

A better analogy would be getting a phone call at 8AM telling you to show up at 9 for that job interview, then having to apologize because you didn't have time to pick up your suit from the dry cleaners...

Brooks didn't KNOW he was gonna have this particular job interview until 10 weeks ago...

It's the only serious one I have...but it is a serious one.

Yes, it absolutely is... and if the Boys don't like what they learn about this issue, then I hope they do pass on him...

You never know but I personally would be surprised if he goes before the 3rd.

Just in the last few days, I've read 2 or 3 prognostications that suggest some team might now be willing to spend a 2nd round pick on him... the fact that the only head coach who bothered to attend the workouts was the Niners' (and they'll be drafting very high in each round) may induce some team or team to go a round higher than they might otherwise have...

Hater

Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Brooks lost 32 pounds in 10 weeks (he was measured at 6-foot-3, 260 pounds) and passed five drug tests in the last 10 weeks.
He ran three times, timed at 4.68, 4.75 and 4.74 in the 40.

His 10-yard splits were1.53, 1.58 and 1.58.

His 20-yard splits were 2.73, 2.75 and 2.75.

His arm span measured 33½ inches and his hands measured 9½.

He had a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-8 long jump

He ran 4.43 short shuttle, an 11.84 long shuttle, a 7.43 three-cone drill

He did 19 Bench Reps of 225

Bench is pretty unimpressive... I think my cousin did 23 at the combine, and he's a 5'9 DB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
silverbear said:
You mean, somebody foolish enough to claim that Brooks is no better than any of the ILBs we already have on the roster??

That's very subjective. A player with baggage might have less usefullness than a Ryan Fowler who has everything squared away.

mrecktid

Reaction score
Shaun said:
Merriman didn't have any better of a season than Ware did.

Yeah, I guess those guys who voted him Defensive Rookie of the Year are idiots.