Restructure salaries, push money down the road?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Only to have dead money at the end. We want the Cowboys to create cap space by restructuring deals, but this only in the end causes a problem that you'll ultimately will have to pay anyways.

I ask, is it really worth restructuring deals? I know some smart person created this idea for teams to manipulate the salary cap. But it seems like it's hurting more than helping. Please give your thoughts!

sunalsorises

Reaction score
It helps if the player is going to be around and productive for the duration of the contract. It's impossible to know that ahead of time, though.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Only to have dead money at the end. We want the Cowboys to create cap space by restructuring deals, but this only in the end causes a problem that you'll ultimately will have to pay anyways.

I ask, is it really worth restructuring deals? I know some smart person created this idea for teams to manipulate the salary cap. But it seems like it's hurting more than helping. Please give your thoughts!
Exacerbated by void years. You pick your spots…when a SB window opens up you maximize your current spending…keep deferring the pain until you start your rebuild…take all of the pain then. This rewards you with periods ofdeep playoff runs followed by shorter periods of high draft picks.

Doing what we do puts you in purgatory. There is no reason why we could not of done exactly what Philly did.

CWR

Reaction score
Exacerbated by void years. You pick your spots…when a SB window opens up you maximize your current spending…keep deferring the pain until you start your rebuild…take all of the pain then. This rewards you with periods ofdeep playoff runs followed by shorter periods of high draft picks.

Doing what we do puts you in purgatory. There is no reason why we could not of done exactly what Philly did.
Yes X1000. Our model is garbage. It's about staying relevant without actually going for it all.

exciter

Reaction score

It depends on the contract. The best 2 options for restructure were Diggs and Gallup 3 and 4 years to prorate. Not sure what the issue with Diggs contract unless they’re only looking keeping him for 3 years. Gallup they chose to release and eat the dead money. Steele’s also had the years but guessing they’re waiting to see if he returns to form before adding more dead money to eat. Lawrence is in lat year of his contract and already counts 8m against next years cap. Probably going to have the same lamenting about him that we have with Tyron currently.
Overall it looks like their focus is getting the 3 massive contracts we have coming up done and they’re wanting as little dead and prorated money as possible To interfere with reaching that goal!

4lifecowboy

Reaction score

Yes because you expect the salary cap to increase yearly to absorb some of the hit.

John813

Reaction score
Yes. It makes sense to restructure as need be on your core players early on in their deals. Most deals are setup to be restructured years 2 & 3 for cap purposes.
Sure, the contracts get bloated, but the idea is that in 2-4 years that XXMil cap hit won't be as bad as the cap ceiling will have gone up leaps and bounds from what is is now.

Most teams restructure deals, this isn't just a Dallas thing. However, it seems most teams use the restructuring to free up cap to sign outsiders. Dallas doesn't.
Saints have deals with their players with certain option bonuses that they restructure every year to get under the cap.
They do that, still sign Carr last year and then Chase Young this year.
Miami was negative too, they restructured deals and supposedly aren't done as well for signings.
etc

Jipper

Reaction score
Heck no. You sign some of the young stars and you fill in holes with value FAs you get you 6 and 11 year out of the way and let dak mcchokes a lot go...then go from there

Chasing6

Reaction score

Don't restructure and push playoff success down the road.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It helps if the player is going to be around and productive for the duration of the contract. It's impossible to know that ahead of time, though.
Jerry pays big contracts based on passed performance. Contracts need to be based on future performance.

Can't be afraid to trade away talent, save money and acquire picks. That is the fastest way to build a team.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If you have more money to spend and so does everyone else, what's the advantage?
Signing a player at 2024 market value but pushing his contract proration into 2026, 2027, 2028 makes it cost less against the cap overall.

Think of it this way: let’s say Dallas Jr is allowed to spend 5 dollars. His friend Dak wants 3 dollars. You can pay all now, or pay 1 now and 2 tomorrow when you have 7 dollars. It either takes 60% of your cap today, or 20% of your cap today and 29% of your cap tomorrow. You’re still paying the same total cap hit, but the valuation of of the cap hits is going down due to cap inflation.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Signing a player at 2024 market value but pushing his contract proration into 2026, 2027, 2028 makes it cost less against the cap overall.

Think of it this way: let’s say Dallas Jr is allowed to spend 5 dollars. His friend Dak wants 3 dollars. You can pay all now, or pay 1 now and 2 tomorrow when you have 7 dollars. It either takes 60% of your cap today, or 20% of your cap today and 29% of your cap tomorrow
My point is, that it is not an advantage. If each teach gets an extra $10M in cap space it is the same. No advantage.

The advantage or disadvantage comes into play with how your GM decides to allocate the money.

We are at a severe disadvantage with GM Jethro.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Everyone else does it. Not sure why the Cowboys think they are too good to do it.