Restructure salaries, push money down the road?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Only to have dead money at the end. We want the Cowboys to create cap space by restructuring deals, but this only in the end causes a problem that you'll ultimately will have to pay anyways.

I ask, is it really worth restructuring deals? I know some smart person created this idea for teams to manipulate the salary cap. But it seems like it's hurting more than helping. Please give your thoughts!
Again it depends on your GM. GM Jethro, not so much.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
At some point you gotta take the hit and suck for a couple of years. Refusal to do so has cost us 28 yrs of futility.
KSK I mentioned this, don't get mad at me. What if we STOP restructuring contracts, I KNOW IT"S SET UP to be a help and give us relief, maybe we don't manage it the best. I just think it's more harmful than it is helpful. To other teams, they somehow maximize on this!

fivetwos

Reaction score
Dead money typically comes from overpaid under performing players. GM Jethro needs to stop signing dumb contracts.
Dead money is actually the answer to how they spend up to the cap limit but are something like third to last in total cash salary paid over the last few years.

Every team has the same cap, and there’s also a floor, but the more dead money, the less you can spend in cash salary for that year.

It does make sense to begin to purge, and deal with the hit, but it doesn’t fix the root of the problem, which is overrating their own players….the only ones who get big contracts.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dead money is actually the answer to how they spend up to the cap limit but are something like third to last in total cash salary paid over the last few years.

Every team has the same cap, and there’s also a floor, but the more dead money, the less you can spend in cash salary for that year.

It does make sense to begin to purge, and deal with the hit, but it doesn’t fix the root of the problem, which is overrating their own players….the only ones who get big contracts.
Paying big money after immediately having an ACL tear, is beyond dumb. What team would we be competing with? What team is going to pay that when recovering from an injury?

Cooper trade was an embarrassment X 2. Trade value was garbage. Then thinking Gallup coming off an injury would replace him.

We had Pollard on the roster and folded to Zeke's demands.

Easy to find multiple poor decisions by this front office.

kskboys

Reaction score
KSK I mentioned this, don't get mad at me. What if we STOP restructuring contracts, I KNOW IT"S SET UP to be a help and give us relief, maybe we don't manage it the best. I just think it's more harmful than it is helpful. To other teams, they somehow maximize on this!
Restructuring contracts is fine when you're that 1-2 players away. Due to very odd drafting, especially in the 2nd round, we have way too many holes in our roster for some restructures to propel us into the super bowl.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
You are not a contender unless you play in a conference title game.
lol. bs. You win 12 games, mult years in a row, then in free agency during those years you have to view yourself as a contender. And perhaps, if during those off-season… This off-season… Pushing all the chips into the middle would’ve got us to a Super Bowl or championship game.

kskboys

Reaction score
No such thing as market value for a human being. All players are different and bring different strengths and weaknesses to a team. To claim that one WR has the same value as another WR is beyond silly. Agents sure loving it, though.

FLWarpigrpig

Reaction score
At 12 wins a season we have been sb contenders…we should of used everything to get over the hump
Agreed, I just hate void years. If a player is seriously injured or decides to retire your entire cap can be hosed that year.